Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of live action and the bleak future of all CGI A.I. movies.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The end of live action and the bleak future of all CGI A.I. movies.

I didn't want to take the Apes thread off topic.

If we keep rewarding movies with CGI sets and CGI characters, like Apes and Avatar, we are looking at a near future where all live action will be completely replaced. If you think movies are cookie cutter and uncreative now just wait until you have all CGI movies starring CGI actors, created, written and voiced by A.I. I can't be the only one worried about this.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I don’t think it has to be an all or nothing scenario. Can an author/ content creator use AI to guide a screenplay and be edited to give it more of his or her own distinctive voice? Can a casting director then influence the creation of a cast of AI actors for roles and sequences that are clearly not suitable for human actors? And most roles are still going to be cheaper to use humans on than CGI enhancement and AI actors. When movies started people assumed that they would be the end of live theatre. Spoiler alert: they weren’t. Live theatre has changed in many ways but it is still very much alive. Are there movie makers who still use practical effects over computer effects? Yes, very successful directors like Nolan. Are there entire movies made with CGI and entire movies made without CGI? Yes to both. CGI and AI are just powerful new tools in filmmakers toolkits. Like color film was. Like sound was. Like 3D was. Like animation was.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I do not welcome our malformed seven fingered overlords.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 18, 2015

Avatar and Planet of the Apes feature motion capture characters performed by genuine actors, and rendered by real human CGI artists. If you think generative AI has any role in those films' creation you are misinformed.
        The hands that grip.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

I can see CGI and AI having a place at the filmmakers table along with meat actors and practical effects. A good director will use what works best for each application and a bad director will mess up even without computers. Ed Wood made his whole career on live actors and practical effects.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎