X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

UFO On Tubi

Never watched an episode before and I am two episodes in so far. First impressions are positive but a few weird things so far. Number one is the amount of smoking. So much smoking.
    Then the wardrobe. Why do the submarine crew wear fishnet shirts? I’m not complaining per se. It just seems weird.
    The commander with all the smallpox or acne scarring seems like a real Chad. Is sleeping with all of the female staff his secondary job?
    And I can’t be the only person who wonders but why do the Moonbase women have purple hair? All of them. Is it like a club thing? If it’s environmental why don’t the men have purple hair too?
    Finally, has nobody explained galactic distances and relativistic speeds to Gerry Anderson? The whole thing of the flying teapots can go so fast because the pilots are in jello is no better explanation of interstellar travel than the moon exploding.
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Lots of theories floated over the years. The one I've heard most often about the purple wigs is that they are anti-static, worn only by the women due to their longer hair and look like that so if a civilian spotted them in uniform, it could be explained away as movie wardrobe from their fake studio cover.

About the mesh shirts, only thing I can say is that I don't have the heart to tell "teenage me" from the past that modern HD prints reveal the ladies wear modesty panels that weren't that obvious on our 19-inch CRT set.

My advice these days is just go with it. Smoke-filled rooms aside, it was a great time to be a kid! So much imagination back then. TV was like a living toy box! I enjoy all of the Anderson shows. The UFO series boxset is literally at my right elbow as I type this.

Good image on this "enhanced" compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbq-YlbUO_4

(By the way, I had to laugh. I just noticed your name and realized that it looks like I've been stalking you from thread to thread for days! Sorry about that! Clearly, we have similarly excellent taste in forum topics. Cheers!)

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎