X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyme2tyme
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 3, 2008

Concept art for a new UFO movie!

I sure hope this becomes a reality. JOHN Drawing on Imagination: 'UFO - The Movie' Concept Art
    Livin' the American Dream!
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

HUGE fan and I don't hate any of this, they even kept the purple hair!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I dunno.... I'm always leary about redos, especially when they feature lines like:

>"We know the importance of the UFO series brand to ITV Global, and we will work closely with them to build this into a franchise,"

Kinda reminds me of the brainwashing sessions we have to attend at my one lob. ("Live the Brand, people...") But hey; at least they're honest. None of that "we were fans of the original...." BS.

As for the hypothetical designs themselves....? Meh. They're really REALLY typical. Yeah they kept the weird hair, but added the same skintight bodysuits EVERYBODY in sci-fi seems to wear nowadays.

....plus, they kinda look like watered down Makoto Kobayashi designs:

The Art of Makoto Kobayashi

Don C.

Comment

• Tyme2tyme
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 3, 2008

http://www.ufoseries.com/photos/gayAndJoan.jpg
        As for the hypothetical designs themselves....? Meh. They're really REALLY typical. Yeah they kept the weird hair, but added the same skintight bodysuits EVERYBODY in sci-fi seems to wear nowadays.
        The Tv show had some pretty tight suits back then, JOHN

Comment

• vulcan2074
          Live Long and Prosper
          • Mar 23, 2008

I'm very intrigued with this Concept
          Sammy

Comment

• kennermike
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 4, 2007

this is the first remake or reboot I kinda have high hopes for!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• trekman101
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2009

I LOVED UFO when I was a kid.It would be fantastic to see it done as a well made film
                "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• 60'schild
                  Silver Haired Silver Ager
                  • Mar 27, 2009

Also a REALLY big fan of UFO (Ed Bishop was PERFECT as Straker!).

I really hope this isn't done super angsty (like the current Galactica and apparently, the upcoming Stargate:Universe), but I suspect that will be the case.

Keeping fingers crossed, nevertheless.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Love this series. I'm all for anything new. Loved Gabrielle Drake/ Lt. Gay Ellis!!!!!

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>The Tv show had some pretty tight suits back then,

Yes it did, but they weren't the black X-Men outfits everyone wears now. And not everyone wore them. If I remember right, the bodysuits were spacesuits, or spacesuit liners wore by the moon crew. Straker wore that weird nehru-lookin' tunic, and the Sky/Diver team wore those mesh ZARDOZ uniforms.

>Ed Bishop was PERFECT as Straker!

Yeah. I'd kinda hope that if they do a new film it'll be more of a sequel than a remake. When the show ended we'd just found out what the aliens really were, and I don't think SHADO had decisively beaten them. (They'd blown up one of their bases though.) I think a remake wouldn't feel all that different from any other alien invasion show/book/movie since the 90's. And I don't think I'd feel right if Ed was played by someone like the Rock. Or Wil Smith. (Or Will Ferrel.)

>I really hope this isn't done super angsty

That, or follow the "I'm ANGRY!!!!" template. I'm sick of both. (The only thing worse would be if the film became the Jonas broters big breakout dramatic feature. *shudder*)

I dunno.... given the option I'd MUCH rather see something actually new, ENTIRELY new, like whole new show, instead of another retro reboot/remix/redo. They always make me nervous 'cos you usually get the generic current film with the old name slapped on it. (It's always a bait and switch.) And I don't think UFO would translate so good to current sensibilities. (Maybe they'll make it a hilarious camp remake? *shudder again*) Stylisticly it'd be changed ("TOO 60's" the execs would say) they'd amp the action way up, throw in some pointless love story (even though men and women CAN work together without any sort of emotional entanglement in real life) and I can only imagine the CGI monstrosity that the aliens would become....

....but that's not NECCESSARILY the case; so I'm gonna hafta reserve judgement until I see some bits from the actual movie. It could be really good. I just get scared when something is gonna get redone, given the past results.

....and the idea that I'd REALLY like to see things move FORWARD once in a while....

Don C.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Say....

I just ahad a weird thought about the show. SHADO can't be a really big organization:

>Gabrielle Drake/ Lt. Gay Ellis!!!!!

She was commander of moon base, and she's only a Lieutennant? There can't be much infrastructure; if we assume SHADO is organized similar to a modern army. LT isn't THAT high a rank. (In real life the commander of an installation like this would usually be at least a Captain, more likely a Major. Straker himself was a Colonel, wasn't he?)

So.... does that mean all the folks we saw in the show are it? The world is being protected from invasion by like, 30 people? THAT'S scary....

Don C.

Comment

• Tyme2tyme
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 3, 2008

(Maybe they'll make it a hilarious camp remake? *shudder again*)
                          I'll shudder at that one too ctc. This seems to be the way old TV shows are remade all too often. I don't mind bringing the concept up to current standards but please let someone who understands the heart and soul of the original be involve in the script, JOHN

Comment

• Captain
                            Fighting the good fight!
                            • Jun 17, 2001

I only saw one episode of the show, back in the late seventies...and the movie version (possibly two episodes edited together) in the earlt eighties...Thats all it took. I like the show, and look forward to seeing a new version whether it be cartoon, tv series, or film.

Due to Treks current popularity at the box office, the word re-boot is going to be thrown out a lot for the next little while. Much like last year everyone was talking about making superhero flicks darker in tone to match Dark Knight. Like that fad, I think the re-boot of old sci fi tv shows will dwindle down by fall again, and a lot of these projects will not see the light of day.Hopefully, this one makes it.
                            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

>This seems to be the way old TV shows are remade all too often.

Yeah. A lot of times it seems like they want to mine the source material but figure the current audience wouldn't be able to tolerate the time-isms; so's they funny it up, hope the name will bring the old fans in for the all-important first weekend, and the comedy will make it palatable for everyone else.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎