Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Saw The Star Trek Movie-Trivia Spoilers!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

If You Saw The Star Trek Movie-Trivia Spoilers!!!!

Now that you've seen the film what in-jokes or references did you catch from other Star Treks? This is a sort of Trek Trivia Central for people who have seen the film.

SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!SP OILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Things I thought of, things people have mentioned-that I didn't catch, and stuff that is painfully obvious:

The Romulan Mining Vessel was suppossed to look like or be like V'Ger,(?). (It didn't look like it to me). Antonio here at the boards mentioned this to me.

The first starship we see is the U.S.S. Kelvan. The Kelvan are the aliens in A Rose By Any Other Name, ( the ep. where the yoeman girl & black security officer are reduced to styrafoam gemoetric forms).

The Enterprise seems to be made of design elements from the TOS, ST-Phase 2, ST-TMP, ST - First Contact, (those damn nacelle support pylons). I don't see any details from Excelsior or TNG.

The alien who does not speak, sitting between Kirk and Uhura in the bar, slightly resembles the guy who would not shut up when McCoy tries to charter a ship to visit the Genesis Planet in a bar in St-III.

When Kirk first meets Leonard "Bones" McCoy, McCoy refers to his recent divorce. A reference to the unproduced 3rd season story where we meet McCoy's daughter from his previous marriage. This story would be changed into The Way To Eden and the relationship would be shifted to Checkov and an ex-girlfriend of his.

McCoy mentions his wife left him with nothing except his old bones. This is a change from McCoy's nickname coming from a term for Dr.'s in the old west who were called Saw Bones because they used saws to cut thru bones and amputate patients.

Kirk eats a fruit, (an apple???), during the Kobayashi Maru test-knowing he's going to win. Kirk also behaves this way in Star Trek II when he explains how he beat the Kobayashi Maru to Saavik, Carol & David Marcus in the Genesis cave. At that time in the film he also knew they were not stranded and had fooled Khan. Thanks to Antonio for noticing. I drew a blank.

The cadets wear all red when leaving Starfleet Command. In Star Trek II cadets on the Enterprise wear all red but with colored shoulder flaps to designate their department.

The short soliloquy given by Spock in front of the viewscreen before they head to Vulcan, " When we eliminate the possible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable..." Is something said by Sherlock Holmes and is exactly whjat Nimoy said in a scene from ST - VI when they deduce there is a K-BOP ship that can fire when cloaked.

After the first attack McCoy mentions that Dr. Piper was killed. Dr. Piper was Chief Medical Officer in Where No Man Has Gone Before. Tho we don't see her McCoy calls out Nurse Chapel's name amidst the chaos.

Sulu mentions he is trained in fencing, The Naked Time.

Kirk and Sulu display the use of wrist communicators, ala ST-TMP & ST-II, when attacking the mining device.

The jumper from the shuttlecraft is the first to die when Kirk & Sulu attack the mining device. he is wearing RED!!!

The creature which bends Pike to Nero's will is the same as used in ST-II by Khan to also bend Checkov's and Capt. Tyrell's.

Kirk is banished by Spock to Delta Vega, the planet where Gary Mitchell would be banished in Where No Man Has Gone Before, the second pilot.

McCoy calls Spock a "pointy eared hobgoblin" under his breath on the bridge. Exact dialogue from TOS. Not sure what episode.

Scotty mentions he is serving on Delta Vega because he beamed Admiral Archers beagle away and it had not yet re-materialized anywhere. Capt. Archer,(Scott Bakula), was the capt. on the first Enterprise & had a pet Beagle named Porthos. Could they be one in the same Archer? Thanks again to Anthony.

Spock mentions that Mr. Scott will deduce a brilliant new trasporting equation in the future and then gives it to him in a scene similar to Scotty's in ST-IV, The Voyage Home where he gives the guy at the factory the formula for transparent aluminum.

Kirk provokes Spock into a fight on the bridge to assume command from him. He uses the tried and true tactic of invoking his mother. Similar in to the fight he provoked him into in the epsiode, This Side of Paradise, where he was possessed by the plant spores.

Spock attempts to destroy Nero's giant mining ship in a kamikazee strike, is this similar to Commadore Decker attacking The Doomsday Machine? Is it similar to Spock being in the Shuttlecraft in The Immunity Syndrome? Is it similar to Spock entering V'Ger alone, ala ST-TMP? Maybe I'm reaching to much on this one.

At the end Capt. Pike is in a wheelchair, ala The Menagerie, and wears an Admiral's uniform same colors as Kirk wore in ST-TMP.
    Last edited by johnmiic; Jun 2, '09, 7:36 PM.
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I think you pretty much covered the all!

On this one I'd like to add...that it's also the way the Movie started out...as George Kirk sacreficed his self to save the escaping Shuttle Crafts. I think you're wrong on the Motion Picture though...as Spock was trying to make contact with V'Ger...not a Kamikazee run:

"Spock attempts to destroy Nero's giant mining ship in a kamikazee strike, is this similar to Commadore Decker attacking The Doomsday Machine? Is it similar to Spock being in the Shuttlecraft in The Immunity Syndrome? Is it similar to Spock entering V'Ger alone, ala ST-TMP?"
    sigpic

Comment

• trekman101
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2009

You hit on a lot and I'm sure there are a few more not to mention stuff from the deleted scenes...we'll have to go through this movie some more.As I have said before JJ wasn't a trek fan but the writers were!
      "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
        To Fear is Not Logical...
        • Feb 17, 2008

Here's one that I caught: At the hearing for Kirk after the Kobayashi Maru test, look at the name plaques for all of the Admirals at the hearing. They are all names of Admirals that Kirk had talked to at one time or another during the TOS run (e.g. Admiral Komack, etc.)

Also, when they first meet Scotty, he has a pet Tribble in a cage on the console by where he is leaning his head.
        It's all good!

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

That list is still open to revision. A couple of items may have come from other peoples threads here at the MM. You guys just proved there's more to add to it so don't be shy.

One thing I was loking for was Finnegan at Starfleet Academy. Anyone see if he was there? Somone here at MM may have also mentioned there was an alien in part of the film that looked like Lt. Arex.

Hmmm. Maybe Spock attempt to destroy Nero's giant mining ship is similar to Kirk attacking The Doomsday Machine using the U.S.S. Constitution where he is beamed out at the last second?

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

William Morgan Sheppard plays the Vulcan Science minister uncredited, he has been on TNG and Voyager buit more notably was the Klingon Prison warden in Star Trek 6. Most likely this was intentional casting.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• david_b
              Never had enough toys..
              • May 9, 2008

Thanks much! I knew there'd be a bunch of in-jokes/references, but other than the Archer reference, I hadn't been smart enough to pick them all up, especially after only one viewing.

david_b
              Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Star Trek SPOILERS thread!!! BEST Star Trek film EVER!!! - Mego Talk

sigpic

Comment

• Captain
                  Fighting the good fight!
                  • Jun 17, 2001

To update my post from the link Hector added:

Doohans son was stationed with "Scotty" in the transporter room.

The girl with the beehive I thought might have been a nod to Janice Rand actually was Chapel. She was also to be seen in the earlier scene when McCoy asks for her, but was cut.

Cawley is on the bridge several times. his most notable seen is where Spock nearly runs him over when he returns to the bridge after his little "incident" in the transporter room with Pa.

Not a Trek connection, but R2D2 is in the movie. I havent spotted him yet, but I'm told he's in a corner of the bar in Iowa. Apparently JJ sticks artoo into all of his movies!?

No Finnegan or Mitchell. Rumor has it Carol Marcus was in the script, but was cut out (as was a Lt. Picard at the Academy). Since they jumped from day 1 to year 3 in an instant, its still possible these characters are part of Kirks past, and we just didnt see them.

Neros ship, the Narada, actually looks a LOT like the mysterious Romulan ship used in the fourth season of Enterprise (the Andorian/Aenar episodes). Lose the tentacles and its a dead ringer....except for scale of course.

There was an alien with a noggin like Arex's in some of the academy scenes (notably the trial scene) but he only had two arms and two legs. I suspect it was still a tribute...same as the long faced guy in the bar was, I suspect, a tribute to Morn from DS9 (Dont know why they just didnt use Morn in the first place?)
                  "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

What about kirks reaction to the medications,I'm not sure which TOS episode it is but kirk needs a shot for something and both he and McCoy say he is allergic to the vaccine.Maybe this scene is how they found that out.
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Yes...Kirk is allergic to Retnox 5! Which is why Bones gave him Glasses for a birthday Present.
                      sigpic

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                        To Fear is Not Logical...
                        • Feb 17, 2008

I found this:
                        io9 - The Best And The Worst Of Abrams' Star Trek Easter Eggs - Star Trek
                        It's all good!

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat
                          Yes...Kirk is allergic to Retnox 5! Which is why Bones gave him Glasses for a birthday Present.
                          Ahha...Thank you I thought I remembered it from an ep but you right that was in ST IV.
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I've only seen it once, but wasn't there an alien like Arex on the USS Kelvan at the beginning?

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Captain
                              Not a Trek connection, but R2D2 is in the movie. I havent spotted him yet, but I'm told he's in a corner of the bar in Iowa. Apparently JJ sticks artoo into all of his movies!?

Last edited by Hector; Jun 4, '09, 7:37 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎