X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

The Phantom 1996 - your thoughts

There appears to be alot of Phantom fans on this site, given the response to the new eight inch figure Castaway toys is putting out. Just curious what people thought of the 1996 film with Billy Zane. We alluded to it briefly when we were discussing the new SCI-FI project, but we didn't get into any great detail. Lord knows I need the details! So here goes...

This was one of those films where I liked as many things as I disliked. I thought the literal interpretation of the Phantom costume was descent. Zane was properly buffed out and really looked like his comic counterpart. But I thought he needed to be filmed in night shots where atmospheric lighting would have played off the costume (like the poster below suggests). That outfit just doesn't lend itself to broad daylight scenes. When he comes charging out of the cave in the opening sequence there's nothing in his appearance to make those treasure thieves feel threatened. Had it been a night sequence I could see some dramatic elements that would lend to his tag of being the "Ghost who walks". Just explaining that line away as being a myth amongst the local community even though the Phantom shows himself during the day doesn't hold much water. I think even the most ancient of tribes would have caught on it was just a number of different people wearing the costume through the years.

I didn't care much for the villian, Xander Drax, because he was too flip in his characterization. Almost too comical to be taken seriously. And Kabai Sengh seemed like an afterthought since he had so little film time and was as easily disposed of as his henchmen. I loved the choreography of the island and the 30's-style city and vintage cars. Nice touches. The skulls were okay but looked almost too plastic-like to be considered old ancient artifacts. It also didn't make sense that previous Phantoms had not taken the time to locate the skulls that were on the very island they protected (strange). But I liked the innocence of the script treatment. I think it was trying to grasp the feel of the early comic strips. While the results were mixed I give it an "A' for effort. Overall it was a fun movie but could have been enormously improved upon had a better director with a broader scope of ideas been involved in the project. I also like the posters for the film. Too bad you didn't get those shots in the movie!

• Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

A little history of me and the Phantom.

Before the 1996 movie, I only knew of the Phantom as some obscure comic book character from a long time ago.

I seen the '96 movie because it was on cable.

I liked it.
    I didn't love it --- thinking it was a little slow moving.
    But, I liked it.

To this day, I judge everything Phantom by that movie.

It was my first introduction to the character.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Please read my review on the Lost in Space movie.
      It also applies to my views on The Phantom movie!
      Lost in Space 1998 Film DVD - Mego Talk
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• GlobalObserver
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 12, 2004

I think MIB41 nailed it, my thoughts exactly.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

I haven't seen the film but I remember reading the Phantom in the Sunday comics when I was a kid and have always liked the character for some reason. I bought some of the DC comics run back in the 80's/90's and enjoyed that.
          I have heard the film isn't that great but that wouldn't stop me from watching it.
          I'd buy it for $3 if I saw it at Big Lots.
          Rich

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I think you're dead on it. Treat Williams is still picking splinters from his teeth where he chewed up the scenery. Zane was good for the role, but he may have played it too "regular joe" to get the mysterious aspect across. That was probably the director's fault not his. He certainly looked the part and was charismatic.

My son likes it, and I enjoy watching it with him from time to time. You have to give it props for staying very close to the source material. I think it's a better movie overall than The Shadow, a similar movie from around the same time.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• saildog
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 9, 2006

It's one of those movies that you could completely pick apart, if you wanted to, but taken as a whole, it works for me in a way similar to Independence Day, Mars Attacks!!, Twister, etc. (funny, I think all of those movies came out the same year...huh). It's a good popcorn movie and not a work of art. Popcorn movies in the matinee vein of yesteryear are fun and worth being made.

I do remember that movie being my first noting of Catherine Zeta-Jones. She's purdy.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I like Zane but I didn't like this film
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I do remember that movie being my first noting of Catherine Zeta-Jones. She's purdy.
                  I remember thinking she'd make a great Talia in a Batman film because of her Phantom role. Too bad they never got a Wonder Woman movie off the ground while she was younger.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

I think your assessment is dead on MIB41. Zane was good, and they kept it pretty close to the source material. The villian, and the mcguffin of the skulls, stunk. Really stunk...bad! That element wiped out what could have been a really great movie. Even as it stands, I still think the Phantom and Rocketeer are two of the better underrated superhero flicks of the nineties.
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎