X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

A new Phantom movie to be made...

The ghost that walks amongst us has also been reimagined. I don't know...

Here's the link -

SCI FI Reveals Their New Phantom - Superhero Hype!
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

Got to love the purple Chuck Taylors on that costume drawing.

I really do cringe now when I see that word "re-imagined."
    It's all good!

Comment

• kennermike
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 4, 2007

yeah I read somethingon Movieweb.com on it intresting idea I need to see the Billy Zane version again its been like 15 years

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Is this so he can team up with Stormshadow and Snake Eyes; to help fight off cyber-ninjas? Even the "Phantom 2040" version wasn't as typical'd up as this one.

I REALLY hate that everything HAS to look the same.

Don C.

Comment

• vulcan2074
          Live Long and Prosper
          • Mar 23, 2008

Ohhh Nooo. That Looks Horrible.
          Sammy

Comment

• Tothiro
            Kitten Mittens
            • Aug 28, 2008

I didn't know they had "snow days" in the jungle.

"What is this? The X-Games on Arakis?"
            Niiice. I was thinking a rejected design for The Fast & The Curious.
            To be honest it looks more like syfy "re-imagined" The Man Who Fell To Earth starring a Jonas Brother.

As I understand it, re-imagined is more often code for: we frankly have no imagination - oh and also? Somebody told us how to do well in our business once but we were drunk and didn't really pay attention.

There's a recipe you follow (particularly if the latter bit was true).
            Step one: You take a story or character that was at some point in the past widely popular but is not currently enjoying success - because lapsed properties are cheap. The additional benefits of this are two-fold. One, you have a ready made origin story, character ethos and plotting devices and two, you have instant (if hazy) character recognition with the audience.

Step two: Write a new character origin, change their name and reason for living, borrow the plot from that frustrated student film you could never get off the ground and finally change the character appearance enough that no one would ever guess who it was supposed to be without prompting, because frankly THAT piece of trash is sitting in the dollar property rights bin for a reason and you don't want anyone recognizing it in your project because your project is going to be a smash hit.

Step three: Sit back and enjoy the Mimosas.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Looks like Phantom hot off his guest shot on Smallville. blehhh.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

In an another thread about this new Phantom I said "it can't be worse than the Billy Zane one" This costume design makes me retract that statement IT CAN BE ALOT WORSE

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

As a friend of mine put it:

"W-who are you?! The Jogger? The Parachutist? The Motocross Avenger?"

"I'm... THE PHANTOM!"

"... really?"

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

This kind of gives me a deja vu to the "Flash" tv series. Burton's Batman was really hot, so a network decided to get the best character they could afford and make him "TV Batman". While it wasn't a train wreck, the Elfman score and the Flash being a "night avenger" were really strange.

This kind of feels like that, SyFy is taking a character they can afford and turning it into "The Dark Knight" but for TV. It still could be entertaining, mind you. Phantom 2040 was a real departure but a pretty good cartoon.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Two words: "FLASH GORDON". Why pay money to get a name character and then make him unrecoganizable to his fan base. Oh, but the teen girls they are aiming for will love this hoodie hero...yeah, right...

Isn't it amazing that a channel that should stand for the most imaginitive and creative programming there is fills it's hours with the most inane and repetative junk they can find? Forget SyFy...they should change the name to CrAp.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I'm waiting to see how they will explain the hood. Very bulky and does not seem to serve any fundemental purpose that is readily evident. I don't see EMCE making this into a figure.

Comment

• clemso
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 8, 2001

Looks very similar to the design of Green Arrow in Smallville and before I forget what I really wanted to say...??? oh yeah the costume sucks!

Clem

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>Phantom 2040 was a real departure but a pretty good cartoon.

It was an odd case. They intentionally took the character somwhere completely different from the original comics; so THAT didn't bug me so much. What kinda bugged me was that I really liked the "Aeon Flux" cartoon (done by the sane guys) and "Phantom 2040" sorta felt like a watered down version to me.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Well, it was a kids cartoon by the guys who did Aeon Flux so I guess it would seem watered down in the same respect that a Saturday morning show by Seth McFarlane would seem like toned down Family Guy.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎