X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

A frank discussion of the most important flick ever

I am talking, of course, about "The Star Wars Holiday Special." Today I got my chance to see it again. (I haven't seen it since the ONE time it aired, and I was 7.)

I like to use the term "near miss" for any show, book, movie, etc that WOULD have been totally awesome if only some small facet had been changed or done better. This is NOT a near miss. It's a HUGE miss....

Had it been done well, it would have been a terrific way to "humanize" the Star Wars setting by showing some non-shoot'emup stories. But ultimately it's kind of a psychedelic train wreck. Of the sort I find I can't turn away from.

The first problem is that it's made on the cheap, and this is noticable right from the first scene. It's jarring, considering how much work went into the film, and how many scenes they've lifted right from the film. The second problem is that it's a LOT longer than it needs to be. That's mostly so's they could throw in all the characters and stars they had on board. (It is kinda funny to see the Empire taken down by Jefferson Starship.) There's enough material here for a pretty mediocre half hour show.

It is kinda funny to notice all the stuff that I do now that I'm older and know more of the back story. Yeah, Mark Hammil is made-up so much that he looks like Ziggy Stardust. (And they don't show his left side so much, so I suspect that's wher emost of the damage from the accident happened.)

Don C.
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

2 hours of your life ya can't get back (and I have watched it 3 times once in 77, once in 85 and last year for christmas. Except for the boba fett cartoon it's AWFUL

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

The Holiday Special is probably closest to Lucas's vision.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

I'm waiting for the Special Edition version.
        Rich

Comment

• Seeker
          Neptunians RULE!
          • Feb 20, 2008

Yeah you have to wonder why lucas didnt go back with the CGI and redo it like episodes 4,5,6.

Hey lets throw some Rontos in there.
          Lo there do I see my Father.
          Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
          Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
          Lo they do call me.
          They bid me take my place among them.
          In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Carrie Fisher seems especially coked up in this too.

I first saw it at a friends house back in college. He was a huge SW fan, and even he could barely stomach it. He treated it like it was a Faces of Death movie, and he shouldn't really let me watch it but he did.

I got a boot of it from a fellow Mego head here this summer. My son is big into Star Wars, but he is only interested in the animated sequence and the few scenes of Luke and Han.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              My son is big into Star Wars, but he is only interested in the animated sequence and the few scenes of Luke and Han.
              A SW tech geek should edit that stuff together and clean it up.
              (with maybe some snippets from other parts???)

It'd be easier to clean up than the whole thing----and be more
              watchable as well
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

there is not enough good material to even make a mediocre half hour., It was done as a variety show and was just a big steaming pile of #$%*. It's rumored that Lucas had the master tapes destroyed so it would never see the light of day again.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

I have a tape of the complete Holiday Special, unedited.
                  Four hours of joy....

Just kidding!
                  It's seven hours......
                  Peter Jackson is reshooting some extra scenes with Bea Arthur, singing under the shower, together with Greedo, who actually shoots first here.....
                  These scenes are PG, of course.
                  That singing is too dangerous for kids to hear......
                  Last edited by Gorn Captain; Dec 18, '08, 6:34 AM.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by huedell
                    A SW tech geek should edit that stuff together and clean it up.
                    (with maybe some snippets from other parts???)

It'd be easier to clean up than the whole thing----and be more
                    watchable as well
                    Actually, seeing LESS of the Holiday Special is a good thing. Thank God for ninth generation copies....
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                      there is not enough good material to even make a mediocre half hour., It was done as a variety show and was just a big steaming pile of #$%*. It's rumored that Lucas had the master tapes destroyed so it would never see the light of day again.
                      Knowing lucas I dobt he destroyed the masters but it is true he quicky asserted his ownership rights to insure it was never shown again (and he has allowed some characters tobe immortalized in plastic from the show)

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>Carrie Fisher seems especially coked up in this too.

Yeah, in her first scene she seemed to have trouble standing. Maybe tranquilizers were the only way they could get her on the show? Or maybe it finally sunk in, the horror she was perpetratring on the audience....

>A SW tech geek should edit that stuff together and clean it up.

There IS a file of just the animated bit on line somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw it.

>Hey lets throw some Rontos in there.

Imagine how much better it'd be with JarJar singing the Yub-Nub song....

Don C.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                          >Carrie Fisher seems especially coked up in this too.

Yeah, in her first scene she seemed to have trouble standing. Maybe tranquilizers were the only way they could get her on the show? Or maybe it finally sunk in, the horror she was perpetratring on the audience....

>A SW tech geek should edit that stuff together and clean it up.

There IS a file of just the animated bit on line somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw it.

>Hey lets throw some Rontos in there.

Imagine how much better it'd be with JarJar singing the Yub-Nub song....

Don C.
                          I burned my copy to dvd and made a seprate menu item just for the animated part

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎