X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The TARDIS and it's role on Doctor Who

I was just watching some classic stories the other day and noticed how little screen time the TARDIS actually has per episode.
    I know it's just a vehicle for getting the Doctor from point A to point B, but I really miss it thoughout the show.
    To me, the TARDIS is almost like Captain Kirk's Enterprise -- It's a star and actor in it's own right and deserves to be seen more often.

It seems the New Series picked up on this because throughout the last 4 years it's really had a much bigger part in the series.
    From being in (and contributing) to the climax of season-1 to almost doing the same in season-3 --- to finally towing home the Earth in season-4 ... It seems the TARDIS is finally getting it's just desserts.

What do you think ?
    In the Classic Series, do you wish the TARDIS was shown more often and had a more vital role ?
    Or do you think only seeing it briefly made it more mysterious and more appealing ?

M
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

when you watch the early years it is almost comical the way's they get the tardis inaccessible to remove the natural response - "we're being chased by monsters lets run back to the tardis and leave". This is especially true in the historical stories when in all honesty there is absoluelty no reason for the Doctor to stay other than to "enjoy the show" and watch events happen they way they are written in history (aztecs, savages, marco polo, crusades), or in curse of peladon where the tardis is inaccable due to it falling off a cliff. I did like the throwback in fires of pompei to this when the tardis is sold to the family as modern art.

In the Tom Baker years it starts to be more of a character in it's own right.

I guess becuase so few episodes center around it It never bothered me that they arrive leave it and don't come back till the end.

Comment

• spotter
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 6, 2008

I liked the fact that in the original series the Doc was never quite able to program his capsule to get where he wanted to go, the new tardis console seems to have perfect ability to hit where he wants it to go.

of course his curiosity is what made him leave gallifrey
      Looking for t1 LIZARD

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Weird thing about the TARDIS ...
        Sometimes it travels in the time tunnel and sometimes it travels in real space -- like a space ship.
        But it seems like many times it travels in real space but it doesn't really have too -- like in a dangerous situation ....
        Example --- Chris Eccleston was dodging Dalek missiles in the season-1 finale, and then disappeared --- so he could immediately reappear.
        It didn't make sense.

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

I think the show became more Tardis-centric during Tom Bakers later seasons. One of the longest bunch'a scenes was in Pyramids of Mars when he showed Sara the future if he didn't stop Suketh. Once they changed over to the victorian brown console room they seemed to spend more and more time inside. They switched back to the white console room and then they spent loads more time in there. It stretched out even more in Davisons era. 1 whole episode mostly in the console room in Casstrovalva! I personally like more tardis time onscreen.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

For me, I'd like to see more of the interior rooms. I always wondered what the companion's rooms looked like. Occasionally they showed other areas, especially during the Baker & Davison eras- the Zero Room, the Cloister Room. Colin Baker's intro showed the wardrobe area, and in the Who movie there was kind of a den the 7th Doctor is relaxing in.

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

I've always been a Huge fan of the Tardis.

I'm glad that there showing more of the Ship. I'm still happy with the Exposure the Tardis got in the Early Dr Who episodes. One main reason is because it was so mysterious and that just made it even cooler. You didn't get tired of looking at it.

Now it seem that they've worked there way up into integrating the Tardis more into the show which I also Love. I Guess what i'm saying is DR Who and the Tardis are Just plain Awesome
              Sammy

Comment

• monkey tennis
                "Kiss my face."
                • Jun 8, 2007

People always have their favorite Doctor, but I think eveyone loves the Tardis.
                Or at least would love to travel in one.

I got my Mego (Denys Fisher)Tardis...boxed but with broken doors...I still love it.
                "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                  For me, I'd like to see more of the interior rooms. I always wondered what the companion's rooms looked like. Occasionally they showed other areas, especially during the Baker & Davison eras- the Zero Room, the Cloister Room. Colin Baker's intro showed the wardrobe area, and in the Who movie there was kind of a den the 7th Doctor is relaxing in.
                  that's what made invasion of time so much fun

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by monkey tennis
                    People always have their favorite Doctor, but I think eveyone loves the Tardis.
                    Or at least would love to travel in one.

I got my Mego (Denys Fisher)Tardis...boxed but with broken doors...I still love it.
                    my doors broke too any hints for a repair??

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I wish they'd do an entire episode inside the Tardis.
                      I mean, that thing is supposed to be huge on the inside, why not take advantage of that?
                      I want to see the Tardis toilet. But not if they reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, 'cause that could get messy....
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

It would be very easy to show some rooms because Logopolis proved that the TARDIS interior rooms and hallways all look different and have no rhyme or reason.
                        They wouldn't even have to build new sets ...
                        They could just location film them somewhere-- anywhere.
                        A great place to film would be the lobby of Battersea -- which is always used for large "gothic" interiors.
                        Last edited by Mikey; Nov 30, '08, 7:44 PM.

Comment

• JPkempo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 17, 2001

Found this - some one had way to much time
                          shillPages - Doctor Who Image Archive - TARDIS Images

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by JPkempo
                            Found this - some one had way to much time
                            shillPages - Doctor Who Image Archive - TARDIS Images

This guy must have been stuck in the Tardis for ages.....
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                              Pat Troughton in disguise
                              • Nov 21, 2007

The very first story to feature some of the Tardis's inner workings (a type 40TT...obselete) as a character was 'inside the spaceship'..where the ship itself (which has always had a telepathic link to it's operator....not so the Doctor as the ship was apparently stolen by him), attempts to warn the crew that they are heading back in time to event one...the big bang.
                              As mentioned in 'The Impossible Planet' Tardis's are grown not built this implies that it is more than a machine and a character in it's own right.
                              ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎