• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Oh horrors! What a tragedy...

These dimwits need to stop!!
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• DocDrako
      Formerly Doc Drako
      • Nov 11, 2004

Lame. But that's Hollywood.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Joe90
        Most Special Agent
        • Feb 23, 2008

That's one to avoid.

But Man! Susan Sarandon is HOT in the original movie...

90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>Would the new version be redone to seem more legit?

To the audience? Yes. There's a weird through-line in society that says "old" is "bad." If people don't recognize the actors, or director, or bands doing the music then it's uninteresting for them.

People LIKE the same old same old again and again. Sad but true.

You mention "Hairspray" and I gotta say THAT one REALLY bothered me. It's the same movie, with big name actors. Marketing, pure and simple. I can see Rocky Horror going the same route. I get SOOOOO tired of seeing the same people, performing their recognized schticks, in EVERYTHING!

"Will Ferrel IS Dr Frank...."

Don C.

Comment

• monkey tennis
            "Kiss my face."
            • Jun 8, 2007

Will Ferrell..........please.

Unless they can get a time warp to use a young Tim Curry I won't be watching.
            Think I'll.....I'll...steal all the Popcorn....

The remake may also include music not featured in the original.

Wonderful, sounds like an Oscar winner already.
            Last edited by monkey tennis; Aug 19, '08, 5:47 AM.
            "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• Vortigern99
              Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
              • Jul 2, 2006

Curry originated the role, and of course I adore him for it, but he's not the only actor to ever play Frank successfully. The best Frank I ever saw was a diminutive blond guy with tiger-striped underwear, only one fishnet on his leg, and white socks! It's the energy and sense of command the performer brings to the part that's important. There are many, many talented actors out there capable of working wonders with this part. Compared to some of the stage productions, the movie is rather lackluster. If you guys could hear the rockin' energy of the Roxy record (1973) or the sly humor of the original London cast recording, I think you'd see that there are many ways to do this musical. The movie we all know is only one version.

The songs not in the film are indeed in other recordings, such as Brad's Once in a While and the deleted-scene-only Superheroes.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
                I'm sure I'm in the minority here.But I can't stand this movie
                I never understood its appeal either. But to be fair, I do have a deep seated hatred of musicals in general.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I don't usually like musicals either, but I've always liked this one. LIKED being the opportune word. I have no desire to dress up in costume and perform it.

That being said, a remake does seem kind of pointless to me, since the old campy factor is one thing that makes it work.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Seeker
                    Neptunians RULE!
                    • Feb 20, 2008

The whole point of Loving Rocky Horror had nothing to do with the movie or the musical. It hads to do with the whole Midnight cinima lifestyle toast, newspaper, squirt guns and all.

A remake sours all that.
                    Lo there do I see my Father.
                    Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
                    Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
                    Lo they do call me.
                    They bid me take my place among them.
                    In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• Adam West
                      Museum CPA
                      • Apr 14, 2003

I like the movie. It's not something I own or would watch over and over again ad nauseum but it's just strange and campy enough to keep my attention.

We have a local way, way off broadway theatre that just recently had a showing and invited everyone to come with all the accoutrements necessary to watch with audience members. I have never been to one of these audience participation performances and suggested to my wife that maybe it would be fun to experience it....she laughed at the suggestion so I guess that was a no.
                      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Vortigern99
                        Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                        • Jul 2, 2006

Originally posted by Seeker
                        The whole point of Loving Rocky Horror had nothing to do with the movie or the musical. It hads to do with the whole Midnight cinima lifestyle toast, newspaper, squirt guns and all.

A remake sours all that.
                        When you first start going to Rocky, or if you're a casual fan, yeah -- the experience is about the experience, not necessarily about the movie. But if you become a cast member of the midnight show, or even a kind of Rocky Horror groupie (who never play anything but hang around helping with lights, costumes, socializing, etc.), you start to realize how great the music is, what a fun show it is, and how there are all these different stage versions, many of which are actually better than the movie. So for a seasoned cast member (which I realize no one here is except me, but still), the idea of a remake is really pretty exciting.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

stupid stupid stupid.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Vortigern99
                            Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                            • Jul 2, 2006

Comment

• Seeker
                              Neptunians RULE!
                              • Feb 20, 2008

What makes you think your the only "Seasoned" cast member? The midnight movie lifestyle went way beyond Rocky Horror.

Monty Python, John Waters movies, Eraser Head. The whole point was to be anti main stream.

Any "True" midnighter would be against commercial remakes.
                              Lo there do I see my Father.
                              Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
                              Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
                              Lo they do call me.
                              They bid me take my place among them.
                              In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                                Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                                • Jul 2, 2006

Wha--? I'm talking about being in the cast of the live theatrical show that went on in front of this particular movie, not "living the midnight movie lifestyle" which perforce included a host of other films. I'm not trying to win some kind of contest over who is a "true midnighter". Either you want to see the movie re-made or you don't.

RHPS is different from other midnight movies because, as I've tried to explain, there are numerous different versions of the stage show and cast recording worldwide, many of which are superior to the movie.

Also, to date RHPS has made almost $140 million on a $1 million budget; believing this is somehow "anti-mainstream" borders on delusional. It was released to a mainstream audience nation- and worldwide, but flopped initially. The business of motion pictures is business, with art as a secondary concern. It's wonderful that RHPS has inspired so much artistry and creativity over the years, but it is and always has been a commercial enterprise like all other mainstream films.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎