X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Was Phantom of the Opera watchable ?

Just noticed, it's on tubi along with a few other classic Universal monster flicks including Drac, Frankie and Creach

Never did see Phantom of the Opera though (Claude Rains) version.

Always avoided it 'cause it looked kinda boring --- Just a disfigured man, not a genuine monster

Also, Opera music gives me a super-headache.

Is there anything there worth watching ?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Of course it's watchable, Rains is a consummate character actor. The film is beautifully mounted--if you dislike opera, I suppose avoid it as it features lots of singing and the Rain's character--like later Lom's--is something of a victim and sympathetic. But I like it as a riff on the classic version.

The literary Phantom is not disfigured but deformed and a victim of persecution. He's a clever and very talented terrorist, obsessed and somewhat mad but also sympathetic. That can be engaging--similar to Uni's Invisible Man.

I don't consider The Phantom of the Opera boring. You should check out Lon Chaney's 1925 silent version, it's close to the book and moves quickly.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 2, '22, 11:14 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Great acting and wonderfully shot in vibrant Technicolor. The downside it is a tad slow moving.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Mikey
        Just noticed, it's on tubi along with a few other classic Universal monster flicks including Drac, Frankie and Creach

Never did see Phantom of the Opera though (Claude Rains) version.

Always avoided it 'cause it looked kinda boring --- Just a disfigured man, not a genuine monster

Also, Opera music gives me a super-headache.

Is there anything there worth watching ?
        It is for sure watchable, but it's among my least favorite of the Universal Monster Movies. Neither the character nor the story are as iconic or unforgettable as Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, the Wolfman, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I thought the music was pretty good, actually. And the acting is pretty good with a great side character performance from Gerrit Graham as Beef. For being a musician first, Paul Williams also does... hold on.

Sorry. Wrong Phantom.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Monster64
            • Sep 9, 2022

Originally posted by Wee67
            I thought the music was pretty good, actually. And the acting is pretty good with a great side character performance from Gerrit Graham as Beef. For being a musician first, Paul Williams also does... hold on.

Sorry. Wrong Phantom.
            The Phantom of the Paradise is one of my favorite movies. I consider it a “music” movie like Crossroads.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Mikey, its free on Tubi, try it out. Sheesh
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎