Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

If it wasn't for Jaws, we might have not seen a mego release of Aquaman vs the great white shark? or did that come before the movie?

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
      This thread is like asking "why does everyone like Pizza?" knowing full well you hate meat, tomato sauce and are lactose intolerant.

If you don't like Mafia movies, the Godfather would suck too.
      Took the words right out of my mouth. Plus Jaws touches people of all cultures on such a primal level, it's hard to reason it's merits just as a by-the-numbers movie. What could be a more terrifying fate than being helpless in the water, out of reach of help, and facing the prospects of being eaten alive? Spielberg did a brilliant job of playing to those fears.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, the book was kind of miserable. The characters were ALL a bit unlikable. The ending... completely anticlimactic.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

This thread is like asking "why does everyone like Pizza?" knowing full well you hate meat, tomato sauce and are lactose intolerant.

If you don't like Mafia movies, the Godfather would suck too.
          No, it isn't. If tasting pizza was the reason you didn't like it, it's the pizza's fault. I didn't go to the movie thinking, "I'll hate this movie because I don't like sharks and the ocean and I'm salt intolerant.".
          I also have the same question about the movie "Alien". I don't know why people like the movie so much. Science Fiction movies are my favorite, but I hated Alien. I thought it had two good scenes and the rest bored me almost to death. I saw it when it was released in the theaters, too. I haven't even seen all the sequels.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
            Career Member
            • Jan 13, 2009

North Carolina shark attacks: A 13-year-old girl and 16-year-old boy each lost an arm Sunday in separate shark attacks at the same beach.

This is one of the reasons it resonated! Seriously, prayers to those three kids who all got attacked on the same beach in three days time.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I think the Jaws soundtrack had a lot to do with making the movie so popular.

The Jaws soundtrack on Miracle on 34th Street would make it into a horror movie

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                Career Member
                • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                \The Jaws soundtrack on Miracle on 34th Street would make it into a horror movie
                LOL! The Jaws soundtrack makes anything a horror movie... "hey kids, it's time to eat. dunh-dunh, dunh-dunh"... "hey wife, let's go on a date tonight. How's Applebee's sound? dunh-dunh, dunh-dunh"

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I never liked Jaws...not even as a kid.

I was raised to love wildlife...sharks don't behave like that...nor are they that large. Largest recorded great white was barely a tad over 20 feet long...and two tons. Killer whales are much, much larger.

Also, it gave sharks a bad name...seen as villains...when the real villains of the ocean are humans.

If they make a Jaws where it wins at the end...they it will become my all time favorite movie, lol. That's why I love the movie Orca...the killer whale kills Richard Harris in the end, lol.

The movie has aged badly too...cardboard shark...the dude inside the Godzilla suit is a million times more realistic.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Having said that...the tan, tan, tan music...is top notch...a true classic soundtrack.
                    sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                      That's why I love the movie Orca...the killer whale kills Richard Harris in the end, lol.
                      Orca is one of my all-time favorites because it's basically told from the "monster's" perspective. It doesn't hold up as well because the cinematography is a little "cheesy", but if it comes on I'm watching it. Someone needs to meld the two into a new modern sea monster movie.

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

A shark named Deep Blue is going to be featured on Discovery Channel soon and they estimate her to be 50 years old and between 20-22 feet long.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

It is waaaay too easy to call the score to Jaws "simple". I meabn, I get it, though, with the two note shark motif. But as a whole work, the score is far more complex and diverse than the casual listener tends to credit. If you've never played the score apart from the movie, I highly recommend it. There's a lot more to it than just da-dun-da-dun-da-dun.

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of the Discover channel, did anyone see the episode called Megashark? supposed to be bigger and
                            badder than whales which it attacks, they actually got rare footage of it from a helicopter and a boat which
                            captured it jumping out of the water grabbing a whale. I think it was Discover channel or maybe Animal planet.

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Every sequel shows that it's almost impossible to replicate.
                              I get it that they were doing the sequels for the money---but---to me----the only sequel that would have worked would've been a "young Quint/Indianapolis" sequel. That moviw would still work today as a killer JAWS 5.

All the other sequels may have made s0me money, but they were silly concepts compared to the original---that's just inherent though. I can't think of any other huge hit movie where a sequel made less sense.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

I enjoy Jaws 2. Had it not been a sequel, it would be more fondly remembered. Roy Scheider is still great. Don't know why they toned down the violence.

Jaws 3-D hits my soft spot for everything 3-D. Needs a proper 3-D blu ray. The movie itself... ehhh. It's a remake of Revenge of the Creature.

Jaws the Revenge is pretty awful. Odd that they still made many of the mistakes of the previous sequel.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎