Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>"X-Files" and "Twin Peaks" are why I never got into "Lost," that sinking feeling at the end of the day that there IS no ending even in mind, let alone written, and they're just BSing viewers.

"the prisioner" is why I couldn't get into ANY of those shows. It was the same idea; the overall story that they keep you in the dark about. (Hell; you get to the last episode and they STILL don't tell you what exactly happened....) The thing that the prisioner did that the rest didn't was that each episode had an end. You may not have known who won the war; but you definitely knew who won the battle every episode. I didn't get that from the rest of these shows which made it tough to gauge how tough the opposition is, the serriousness of the events, the effect events are having on the characters, and the fun of trying to guess what's going on. (Although a lot of folks have been doing that with "Lost" I guess.)

Don C.

Comment

• Seeker
      Neptunians RULE!
      • Feb 20, 2008

The Live action Tick was great. But what about these???

Anyone remember Nowhere Man? Talk about a good series.Who was after the photographer and why? We'll never know.

I hated the fact that the lead actor ofKindred the Embraced died and the series was never finished.

I dont think they ever finished that series I think it was called werewolf.
      It had this kid who spent the whole first season chasing down this one eyed salior guy who turned him. The second season started with an even older master taking over as main bad guy. Started giving some interesting back story then too.

Space Above and Beyond never finished. And Damn that last episode was good.

What about Captain Power? For a kids toy based show it was really well written. I saw some of the scripts for future storylines. Its a pity the show got cancelled.

What about those folks stuck in the Time Tunnel or in the Land of the Giants they never got home either.

Still ya know whats worse then an unfinished series? One that ends and the "New" creative writers that finish it rush the ending and dont even look like they ever saw an episode. War of the worlds was like that. They disreguarded the entire Mortaxen/Mothrean backstory.
      Lo there do I see my Father.
      Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
      Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
      Lo they do call me.
      They bid me take my place among them.
      In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Max Headroom. TV's first,(?), cyberpunk/sci-fi tv series. Fast paced, well written, insightful, and it never had a chance.

I also like the Queen of Swords w/Tessie Santiago. It was a female Zorro rip-off but she was so attractive I didn't mind.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

silver surfer animated series - caught in the rift of marvel's bankruptcy ended with a cliffhanger.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
            Career Member
            • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by MarkStalcup (or Voodoo)
            I liked the Blade movies okay, but really loved the idea of a Nightstalkers movie with Ryan Reynolds and the pure eye candy of Jessica Biel. Snipes just turned into something really bland and brooding in those films, and I'm not sure the new actor did any better.
            Yeah, I thought all through the 3rd movie it seemed like Snipes was bored or irritated or both, when this series is what he'll be most associated with. Both he and writer/ director Goyer dropped the ball in their third outing. Hope that someone at the studio remembers how well the first two movies did and gives Nightstalkers a shot though.

Originally posted by MarkStalcup (or Voodoo)
            "X-Files" and "Twin Peaks" are why I never got into "Lost," that sinking feeling at the end of the day that there IS no ending even in mind, let alone written, and they're just BSing viewers.
            You're right. The producers have to fill up 22 hour-long episodes a season so whatever "vision" they have for a show like Lost seems to get diluted in filling that quota. The writing on cable shows like The Shield or Rescue Me is generally held in higher regard because they only shoot 13 episodes & can concentrate more on script quality.

Originally posted by Seeker
            But what about these???

Anyone remember Nowhere Man? Talk about a good series.Who was after the photographer and why? We'll never know.

I hated the fact that the lead actor ofKindred the Embraced died and the series was never finished.

I dont think they ever finished that series I think it was called werewolf.
            It had this kid who spent the whole first season chasing down this one eyed salior guy who turned him. The second season started with an even older master taking over as main bad guy. Started giving some interesting back story then too.

Space Above and Beyond never finished. And Damn that last episode was good.

What about Captain Power? For a kids toy based show it was really well written. I saw some of the scripts for future storylines. Its a pity the show got cancelled.
            Originally posted by johnmiic
            Max Headroom. TV's first,(?), cyberpunk/sci-fi tv series. Fast paced, well written, insightful, and it never had a chance.
            Those are some of my favorite one season wonders that deserved better. Max Headroom was at least twenty minutes ahead of it's time. Matt Frewer never did work this good or subtle later in his career. Capt. Power may have been produced to sell toys but sometimes the writing blew me away like when they killed a lead character of a kids show! in the series finale(Thanks JMS!). Nowhere Man great conspiracy show and spiritual descendant of the Prisoner.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>Anyone remember Nowhere Man?

I HATED this show, again due mostly to the prisioner. This show had the same problem most of the 90's conspiracy shows had: a really, REALLY ineffective conspiracy. The guys in the villaige were a threat; in the first episdoe of Nowhere Man the main character takes his film to a local photomat to get developed! Er... so the conspiracy controlls everything EXCPET the photomat?

>I dont think they ever finished that series I think it was called werewolf.

One of the Fox network's first; wasn't it? I remember it being kinda silly but entertaining. (Which I think is the best way to do it.)

>Space Above and Beyond never finished. And Damn that last episode was good.

Yikes.... another one I hated. "Space: Beneath and Behind" had a lot of problems; such as bad guys who didn't fire back. Until the last episode. And some of the prettiest, most coifured Marines since Demi Moore and Tom Cruise! I could appreciate what they WANTED to do, but there were a lot of problems.... Watch the episode where they're training the "tanks." If you're working from the assumption that the tanks were automata then most of the training was superfluous. If you figgered they had thoughts and feelings like real people then most of the training was needlessly cruel. Which I think was the point (they're just like us!) but it got watered down by a heavy hand at the ol' typewriter. Same thing when they expaned the idea to the "chigs." When the tank notices a chig watching a pterodactyl fly by... just like he did with the bird back in training.... then he chokes the alien to death.

>What about Captain Power? For a kids toy based show it was really well written.

Surprisingly so. I got the impression that towards the end of the season Mattel sorta stopped paying attention so the crew could do what they wanted.

>What about those folks stuck in the Time Tunnel or in the Land of the Giants they never got home either.

...wait for the inevitable big budget movie versions....

*sigh*

Don C.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎