X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

HAMMER's DRACULA in glorious HD!!

I picked up the first U.S. Hammer blu-ray release, "Dracula, Prince of Darkness" and can't recommend it enough.
    Chock full of extras including Christopher Lee episode of Hammer's House of Horror, making-of documentary, restoration comparison, restored trailer and more.

The restoration job is unbelievable. You literally haven't seen this film until you've seen it on blu-ray. I can guarantee it hasn't looked this good since it's original theatrical release back in 1965.
    Crystal clear, deep blacks and contrast, no scratches or pops and that lush Hammer color just oozes off the screen.

And it comes with a collectible set of Hammer mini lobby cards!

MUST OWN if you're a Hammer or Dracula fan!
    Last edited by enyawd72; Nov 12, '13, 3:33 PM.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Any news on a US release of the restored Horror of Dracula on Blu-Ray?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Any news on a US release of the restored Horror of Dracula on Blu-Ray?
      Not that I've heard, but I have to think they'll all be released eventually. The ones I really want to see are the Universal released ones...Phantom of the Opera, Curse of the Werewolf.

My favorite Hammer flick is The Mummy from 1959. Scared the crap outta me as a kid.

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

I will have to check it out!

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Oh wow. I didn't even know that was out. Thanks for the heads up and the great review. I will be buying that!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It just occurred to me that this is one of the few Hammer Draculas I don't have on DVD. I just DVRed if off TCM. So it's a perfect excuse to pick this up!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Good to hear a favorable review. The bluray.com review was discouraging me. I will bump this further up my Wishlist.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I was hoping to ignore this, now I want to see those extras.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Want!!!

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

WB has Horror, Curse Frank and The Mummy. Uni owns Curse Werewolf, Phantom and a number of others.

Prince was released by Exclusive Media Group which is the new umbrella that owns the rest of the Hammer catalog and "new" Hammer movies.

Company has changed hands a few times in the past decade. Very surprising to me. I think it will movie once more before one of the conglomerates buys it up.

I always assumed Danjaq/EON, the Bond people, would grab it just for the heritage as its one of the only other UK legacy pieces to survive as long as 007.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                      Good to hear a favorable review. The bluray.com review was discouraging me. I will bump this further up my Wishlist.
                      Some of the blu-ray.com reviewers have unrealistic standards regarding classic films IMO. Films made 50+ years ago will never look as sharp as films made today, but they can look superb. I was amazed at the richness of color and clarity in Dracula, POD. From the costumes, to the tapestries hanging on the walls in Dracula's castle, to the beautiful English countryside exteriors...all look magnificent. The textures of fabric and textiles used in the costumes is extremely detailed also. You'd swear you can almost feel the heavy wool of the coats and the wispy silken nightgowns worn by the leading ladies.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎