• Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Bela Lugosi's Frankenstein

Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Note: cursing in clip

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Daniel Horne is at it again with this amazing portrait of Bela Lugosi as the Frankenstein Monster from "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man"!

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

From what I've read, the Bela test makeup resembled a golem.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
          From what I've read, the Bela test makeup resembled a golem.

He looks more like a UFO moonbase girl

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^I've read that, too.

I'm prepared to embrace all things Universal, and I think Ygor is nearly as good as Dr. Pretorius & probably the best character acting Lugosi did, but I'm pretty tepid about his Monster, even if the script was changed/edited.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My wife brought me the "Alive" book home from the library, but I never got around to reading it.

It's interesting to hear the stories of how Lugosi's make-up test was laughed at by Lammle, Jr. Not sure if I believe it, but they say Flory was bitter about losing Frankenstein for the rest of his career. I wonder if this isn't where some of Lugosi's characterization in Ed Wood came from.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Oh yeah. Bela never thought Frankenstein would reach Dracula.

I always wished he never started burning bridges. House of Frankenstein/Dracula would have been amazing showcases for him.

I thought the final straw for Lugosi was he looked too short to be a monster. That he had no physical presence without the Dracula theatrics. That's always made sense to me when you look at him in Meets Wolfman, and why Glenn Strange is always the more go-to Frankenstein default image.
                Last edited by hedrap; Oct 29, '13, 4:20 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I've read allot of conjecture on this since I was a kid and personally I think the Legosi estate and diehard fans of this actor have chosen to make more out of it than what really exists. It doesn't take 20/20 vision to see that Legosi would have made a ridiculous monster had he been chosen for the part (regardless of the makeup applied). Subsequently the fate of Frankenstein as a licensed monster (not to mention Universal's fortunes) would have been dramatically altered. Casting plays such a critical role in how and why movies succeed. So it follows Legosi no more would have made a convincing Frankenstein monster, than Karloff would have made a believable seductive vampire in Dracula. These movies worked, in part, because of the way they were cast. Of course Frankenstein tends to hold up better because of the brilliance of the director. But as characters, fans clearly know the difference here.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Lugosi was a better actor than he was ever given credit for, but his career suffered because he had delusions of being a Hollywood leading man. Fans wanted to see him in horror films, yet he resisted them at first, believing such roles were beneath his abilities. To be fair, maybe they were, but you have to give your fans what they want to see.
                    There's no doubt that Boris Karloff embraced his typecasting and went with it, resulting in a much more successful career. By the time Bela finally came around to accepting his lot, it was too little too late.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
                      Type3Toys Has Transformed
                      • Oct 5, 2011

It would be neat to actually see Bela's screen test for the monster. I always thought his was the weakest version. Karloff, Strange and even Chaney Jr all had great "monster" presence when they played the part.
                      View My Customs
                      www.type3toys.com
                      or check here
                      http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Agreed. I think Chaney gets overlooked a bit too much. Strange has that iconic, perfectly craggy face, but he honestly didn't get to do much at all as the monster. Chaney's face looked a bit too chubby in spots, but he was a pretty big guy, and that brutish nature shined through. His "Lenny" persona was slightly projected as well, especially when he interacted with the little girl. Now wanting her brain...that's where this movie loses me.

Of course they all pale to Karloff. Strange has a great look, but I wouldn't give two craps about the monster if Boris hadn't given that character life to begin with.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Agh! The dreaded double post! IGNORE ME!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

^^ Of Mice and Men was on TCM last night. Chaney Jr. Was great in the role of Lenny. He had more aching chops before he became jaded and drunken than most give him credit. I really like the Intersanctum movies. They were B movies, but had fun plots.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
                              Type3Toys Has Transformed
                              • Oct 5, 2011

You know where else Chaney Jr is over looked is in Son Of Dracula. That is one of my favorite Universal Monster movies. He gives a an amazing, believable performance as the count that many don't seem to realize.
                              View My Customs
                              www.type3toys.com
                              or check here
                              http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎