X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Halloween: 35th Anniversary Blu Ray released

Picked this up today at Walmart and found the picture far superior to the original blu-ray released six years ago. This remaster was supervised by the original director of photography for the film and the results speak for themselves. This edition has several new special features including a new commentary track from Carpenter and Curtis, as well as a documentary entitled, "The night SHE came home". That documentary is about Jamie Lee Curtis' first (and only) convention visit from 2012. It also comes with a booklet which is part of the case that holds the disc. I picked up my copy at Walmart for $19.95.

• megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

I read the review on Hidefdigest.com. My first thought was to get it. However, they had screenshots side by side of both versions and the new transfer seemed to have a blueish cast to it. The other transfer was more vibrant and colorful. What exactly are you seeing that makes the picture superior to the old version? Color, sharpness, contrast, detail, etc?

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed with the color. Clarity is great, but for some reason Dean Cundey felt the need to blanch the warmth a bit. I was always impressed by the color palette of this film.... Literally like peering into a lit jack o lantern on a cold blue night.

Comment

• megoapesnut
        The name says it all!
        • Dec 3, 2007

Apparently most people feel that the new color timing gives the feeling it takes place in the fall, giving it an accurate time setting. The warmer color timing supposedly give the impression it takes place during the summer. Also, since most of it takes place at night, the color muting is more accurate. The increased clarity is due to a new 4K scan. I personally prefer warmer colors but I can see the purpose of changing the color timing to be what was intended. I ordered it to give it a go. Can't turn down my favorite movie.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Sorry I didn't see your question right away. But yes, you just answered it. The restored color timing is what the original look of the film was suppose to have. So I guess it depends on you preference. For me, this really helps underscore the mood. You still have the clarity, but now it has more of the seasonal tone to the cinematography. I certainly liked the original Blu Ray release, but the colors were so enhanced, it lost some of that mood. Plus this version also has new commentary from Carpenter and Curtis, plus a fairly descent special about Jamie Lee Curtis' trip to a convention last year, where she donated all of her earnings to a local children's hospital. Add the booklet and this, for me, was a nice addition to my Halloween collection. Hope you like it!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎