Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite Kong? '33, '76, or '05?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

What's your favorite Kong? '33, '76, or '05?

I've always liked the '76 version most. I really do think Kong looks more realistic and I feel the story's a little better. Didn't really miss the dinosaurs. Always felt all the giant monsters on Kong Island kind of made him less special. I think "the wall" scene in the '76 version is far superior to the original also. I love how Kong really beats the crap out of the gate, as opposed to the original where he just kind of strolls in. LOL

I also LOVE John Barry's score for the '76 version.

I still find the '33 version entertaining, but Peter Jackson's I could only stand to watch once. What a bloated mess.
  • mego maniac mark
    Career Member
    • Aug 3, 2010

Being a 9 year old kid back in 76, I loved that kong. The great poster of him on the WTC holding a rocket while the jets circled was so cool to me. I collected the cards, had the games, stuffed figure and watched the movie hundreds of times when on hbo. Although kong didn't turn out to look like he did in all the illustrations , I didn't complain.
    Plus I got my appreciation for Jessica Lange at a early age
    mego's befo ho's

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I grew up on the '76 version too but the effects are so primitive it is hard to watch. I really like the '05 version but they could have cut a good 1/2 hour out of the beginning. just took too long to get moving and it is a really long movie

Comment

• HumanWolfman
        Type3Toys Has Transformed
        • Oct 5, 2011

I love all 3 of them. Thou from a true quality stand point, the 76 version is absolutely horrible. The 05' Jackson take on the classic is easily the most realistic of the 3.
        But, when it comes to being the absolute bench mark, the 1933 classic is the "King" of the Kong movies. It has the best, most fast paced story of the 3. I loved the stop motion Kong, however primitive by todays standards, it was one of the greatest movies of all time IMO. It began genre of stop motion movies that lasted for better than 4 decades.
        In the year 2013, nothing is left to the imagination anymore in film. Try to imagine sitting in front of the big screen in 1933 and seeing a 50' ape chasing people all over, stepping on them and biting them in half. This had to be awe inspiring for the audience of that time. Nothing even close to that had ever been seen before on the big screen...ever. THAT is what makes the 1933 Kong the best.
        View My Customs
        www.type3toys.com
        or check here
        http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• Mego MkIV
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 9, 2013

The 76 version my aunt took me to see it around Christmas I still have my stuffed Kong if I ever get around to it I'll post pictures of him.

Comment

• LadyZod
            Superman's Gal Pal
            • Jan 27, 2007

Dino's 76 Kong.

It has to be my favorite, since I'm married to a big Dino Kong collector... and I have to live in a house covered in the stuff.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
            Check out my art:
            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

'33 version. I like that he's an ape but not quite. He's gangly, with that weird skull lookin' head.... makes him more of a monster, rather than just some kinda big mutant. The '76 one is pretty silly. I enjoy it, maybe because of that. I remember all the press before it came out, especially the production paintings. THOSE would have made for an awesome film!

I'm not a big fan of the '05 one. It feels padded, and Kong is pretty much just a giant ape.

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I like the King Kong vs Godzilla Kong

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                  I like the King Kong vs Godzilla Kong
                  Ha! you beat me to it Mike, The Toho Kong is my fav

Comment

• raycastile
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Sep 11, 2004

The 1933 Kong is my favorite movie. The perfect monster movie. A masterwork. It's importance goes far beyond the fantasy genre. It is one of the defining films in the medium of cinema.

The 1976 Kong is entertaining as a period curio. I like the merchandise. The music is atmospheric. I still have my stuffed Kong, too, plus my Pizza Hut glasses and lunchbox.

Peter Jackson's Kong is an over-indulgent ego trip. I went in expecting to love it and walked out hating it. It did not seem like a movie made by the world's #1 King Kong Fan.

Comment

• madmarva
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jul 7, 2007

'33 for me. It's truly a seminal film that inspired so many film makers. Beyond being a fun film, it's historically important.

I have a fondness for the '76 film bc of the nostalgia of seeing it with my older brother in the theater as a boy. Baker's performance in the Kong suit was cool and it was Jessica Lang's first role, but it's by no means a great film.

I like Jackson's version a lot. I can't argue with the criticisms that it's too long and bloated, but I like that it took its time, showed a glimpse of the depression and showed the hardships of sea travel. All the stuff on skull island was super fun, reminding greatly of the schlocky prehistoric beast movies of my youth. I liked the stuff in New York, even Kong on ice.

So I enjoy all three but ranking them would be 33, 05 and 76.

Comment

• Red Hulk
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 19, 2012

The 1933 Kong because its the 1st.
                        Last edited by Red Hulk; Jul 27, '13, 7:25 PM.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                          Career Member
                          • May 14, 2007

My favorite is the 1933 version even though I have yet to watch the 2005 version. I have read the book and collected the trading cards from the latter.
                          Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

The 1933 one is a classic that the others can't match. But I love the promotional artwork and merchandising for the 1976 version and I'm most nostalgic about that one because I was a kid when it came out. Toho Kong is awesome too, and it's a shame that there isn't many toys or merchandise based on him, even in Japan (some kind of rights issue I think).

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

The '33 version is one of the great movies of all time. I like the '05 version a lot, too, though it is a bit long. I tried the '76 version, but couldn't get through it all.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎