X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

The Conjuring

I'm surprised no one's brought this movie up yet. It looks awesome. I also heard that the only reason it's rated R is because it's just scary. That makes the movie even more intriguing. Check this out:

How scary is The Conjuring? It's rated R even though there's little cursing, only a couple drops of blood and no major acts of violence that I can recall. Why? Because it's too scary. Seriously, here's what the producers were told by the MPAA:

"When we sent it [to MPAA], they gave us the R-rating. When we asked them why, they basically said, 'It’s just so scary. [There are] no specific scenes or tone you could take out to get it PG-13.'"

They're not kidding. Wan is a master of making you avert your eyes from what's coming next ... even when nothing is actually coming. It wears you out; it tears you up; it knocks you around. It's what a horror movie is supposed to do. There's nothing particularly new here: creepy dolls, evil witch ladies, scary ghost children dressed like Amish kids. But the way Wan mixes familiar tropes together into something that feels both new and familiar is ingenious. He's playing a cover song in a way you've never heard it before. Then, at the end of the song, he hits you over the head with his guitar and slashes your throat with the pick.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

I really liked it. It earns its scares. Not a ton of jump scares. And, yes, it is pretty clean cut. The MPAA did the same thing with Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, which I didn't find that scary.

Comment

• bettyrocker01
      • Jun 11, 2008

Haven't seen it yet but I will. I like the "what you don't see is what's scary" formula.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I've heard this is destined to go down as one of the classic horror films of all time. I definitely need to see it.

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

Scared the crap out of me, one of the better ones Ive seen. I also liked "case 39". Not into any slasher horrors, seriously cant understand the whole appeal, but yeah definately watch this one Guys!!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Yep, this is one scary movie.
            Very effective, not gory, and you'll be jumping out of your seat from time to time.

The only problem I had was with all the teenagers in the theatre, reacting to this movie as if it was Scary Movie 19. They found everything hilarious, especially when animals and people got hurt. What's with kids these days?

But anyway, this is one of the better Haunted House movies I've seen, this will become a DVD purchase...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
              learning all the time
              • Sep 15, 2010

I thought it was very creepy.
              I love horror movies, but don't care for the gore or cheap jump scare/loud noise variety.
              The Conjuring was one of the few movies I found to be truly scary. It had literally everything a ghost story needs, and it was intelligently done and about as realistic as possible. The spooky lingered long after the movie ended, (the music during the credits was creepy too!) long after I had climbed into bed and even the next day.
              A few minor gripes but highly recommended.

Comment

• bgrimm77
                NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
                • Jan 4, 2009

it was a good movie.... I don't think it lived up the the hype surrounding it,but it was good. and now I want an Annabelle doll!!!!
                WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎