• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

American Horror Story- asylum

Ok, now that it's over...opinions?

Frankly, to me, a VERY confusing mess, too many mixed themes (alien abduction, satanic possession, insane killers), and the finale seemed more than a little rushed.
    And the ending- so what, it was all a dream, all made up in her book, just imagining it all, huh?

The first season was excellent- this one not so much. Although, they did smoke a LOT of cigarettes.
    Last edited by johnnystorm; Jan 26, '13, 12:17 AM.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

The end flashback tag was just to reaffirm the "careful what you wish for" theme in regards to Lana wanting the story that would define her career.
    She sought out a story and became a part of the narrative that it changed her life in ways she never would have expected.

As for the season itself, I liked it but was a bit disappointed a few episodes back when they whisked off Dr. Arden and Sister Mary Eunice...Seems like
    those plotlines ended up being a bit unnecessary in regards to the main storyline of Lana vs. Bloody Face.

I thought the alien theme played out well in the finale but in relation to the rest of what was going on throughout the season it seemed an odd juxtaposition.
    It does seem as though they had too many different angles in the original pitch for the season and 13 episodes just isn't enough to do every storyline justice.
    Compare that to last year where everything pretty much focused on the Harmons and the history of the Murder House. It was a more linear narrative. However,
    the very concept of "Asylum" I guess plays in to a Helter Skelter miss-mosh of thoughts and ideas. Crazy, man...crazy.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• RottingDead
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 27, 2012

I liked it,although not nearly as much as season 1.
      This one seemed to have the kitchen sink approach,where they threw everything at us.
      I thought for sure the Devil was going to jump bodies though,but unfortunately that plot line just....ended with the death of Mary Eunice?
      Does anyone have any thoughts as to where season 3 is going to take place?
      The last 3 episodes were supposed to contain hints,but I am clueless on it.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

I enjoyed the first season, but didn't watch this year. After seeing the whole season, is it worth getting on Netflix whenever the DVD is released?

Comment

• Megospidey
          Museum Webslinger
          • Jul 26, 2006

^ Terry, I enjoyed both seasons. The first was easier to follow, the second had a much creepier feel to it. I really enjoyed the 60's insane asylum run by the Catholic church vibe.

So yes, get it on Netflix.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

I liked the fact that they crammed so much well established genre stuff into season 2... serial killers, demonic possession, alien abduction, Nazi medical experiments, etc, etc.

There was certainly never a boring moment.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• gummi
              Career Member
              • Dec 2, 2009

I really wanted to like it after enjoying Season 1, but I just couldn't get into it this year. Like you said, I found it to be a big, jumbled mess. I'm sure if I had watched longer things would have been explained, especially the alien abduction story-line, but honestly the show just didn't hold my interest long enough to get to that point. I made it through 5 or 6 episodes and called it quits.
              "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Well, Season 3 starts Oct. 9 and it's about witches in New Orleans. Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett and Emma Roberts have joined the cast.

I enjoyed season 1 but didn't watch season 2, but am sorta interested in this season.

Last edited by madmarva; Sep 2, '13, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• spacecaps
                  Second Mouse
                  • Aug 24, 2011

I watched Season 1 but I felt like I was looking at something I didn't want to see. The episodes would stay with me days after I watched them and it made me feel horrible. I still watched but when Season 1 ended I was glad it was over. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the show, it just wasn't a feel good series. I'll see season 2 when it comes around on Netflix. Years ago I watched HBO's OZ and it left me with the same feeling after each episode. Hemlock Grove also gave me the same feeling only, I had to stop watching cause it sucked.
                  "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

Yeah, Hemlock Grove was terrible.

Comment

• bgrimm77
                      NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
                      • Jan 4, 2009

My most favorite scene in asylum was when the Nazi doctor climbed on top of the dead nun and sent them both to the creamatorium....... I never got a chance to watch the 1st season, although I heard it was really well done. is it true that most of the characters,or should I say actors are in season 1 as well?
                      WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎