X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Anyone follow The Following?

The Following, with Kevin Bacon starring as and ex-FBI agent who tracked down and apprehended a notorious serial killer, premiered Monday night on Fox. Did anyone else watch it?

It's being replayed on Fox Friday night at 8 central/9 eastern.

The back story is reminiscent of the more the realistic 1970s slasher flicks, and it's about as bloody and violent as a R-rated pic.

The plot definitely uses aspects of Manson and Bundy's cases and probably others, as well as Patty Hurst.

The killer (James Purefoy) is played a bit like Hanibal Lector (smartest guy in the show).

I thought the first show was very strong, although the high concept, which I won't spoil, could quickly soar over the shark.

Bacon is good as the ex-agent struggling to pull his life together. Purefoy is good as the serial killer, playing the role with a certain magnetism. And it's always nice to see Natalie Zea, although I miss her on Justified.

I'll be watching the second episode to see if the quality holds.
  • Megospidey
    Museum Webslinger
    • Jul 26, 2006

I saw it and was shocked, stunned, engrossed, amazed...all at the same time.

It reminded me of what a show would be like if Red John (from The Mentalist) were the primary character focus.

Red John has cronies who "follow" him and do his bidding...just like the villain in the show.

I am hooked.

Comment

• Jerry68
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 12, 2008

My Wife and I watched this and really enjoyed it. I am a little concerned that the build up could drag out. We will wait and see.
      sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

I visit my mom every couple weeks and watch it with her. As far as network television goes, it's pretty good, not sure how an entire season will hold up, or multi-seasons based on the current plot. I really really want one of those Edgar Allen Poe masks.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

I am wary of high concept shows, they almost always crash and burn before the payoff. I am enjoying this show so far, but the Feds and the Cops have acted real stupidly a couple of times now. They need to assume they can trust no one, and never EVER be alone with anyone!
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

The first episode was intriguing, but it's lost some steam ever since. I'm still on board, but I don't know for how long.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

I've been watching on Hulu. Reminds me a little bit of Millenium. Old burned out FBI profiler guy gets pulled back into the work
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megoscott
                Founding Partner
                • Nov 17, 2006

I'm just about done with serial killers as entertainment.
                This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  • Jan 22, 2008

It reminds me a lot of the plots to one of my favorite author's books called "The Poet" by Michael Connelly. My mom read it first and turned my on to his books so I think that's why it's become "our show".

I hear you Scott, I sold off all my non-classic, non monster horror collection of movies quite awhile back as I just no longer could stand the ninilism of slasher flicks. The serial killer as "movie hero" gets to me now days. However, a good cat and mouse thriller between good guy and villian still floats my boat. And so far this has had a couple good plot twists and scares.

I don't think it's an "amazing" show. But it's watchable, which isn't something I say about much (non-comedy) TV these days.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    • Jan 22, 2008

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍