X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Okay...I'm gonna eat some crow here...

I just finished watching Mockingbird Lane, fully expecting it to suck...and I freaking LOVED it. It was different, but totally engrossing and Grandpa was hysterical.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but now I wish it had been picked up as a series.
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

AAAHHHHHHH nuts! I missed it!

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I missed it to --- but that's one time i'm glad I missed something

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Good or bad is subjective. But whether you liked it or not, it wasn't the Munsters. I would personally would have enjoyed it more as it's own thing without the thin veener of Munsters names over the new characters.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

it was okay....and could have evolved into something good, but I think the revamped premise with them actually killing people would not have clicked

Comment

• bleit1701
            Career Member
            • Jan 1, 2009

The NBC station here in the Detroit area aried a locally made Halloween special followed by a Jeopardy rerun. Unbelievable.
            Better late than never.....

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              but I think the revamped premise with them actually killing people would not have clicked
              That's one of the many problems I had with it.

Warning spoilers ahead:

I could deal with Grandpa running around in the nude killing animals and people, you know fine I get it, he is a Vampire. But Herman would never NEVER agree to help murder someone and harvest his organs. That is such a fundamental betrayal of the core of the character.

End Spoilers

I've said this before, If they want to do the Munsters then, awesome, do the Munsters. But if you want to do something "original" then, by all means, actually do something original. Because what we got was neither original nor The Munsters. I think it actually owed more to the Addams Family than it did the Munsters. Lily certainly looked and acted more like Morticia, in my opinion. As a show about a Monster Family pretending to be human, it was fine. (Other than being too gory for small kids.) As The Munsters it fails.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 31, '12, 12:28 AM. Reason: typos
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

I thought it was Gruesome in some parts and glad i screened it, My daughter loves the original Munsters but this was waaaaaaaay too much for her.
                I found Herman Boring, Grandpa was fine, Eddie okay, Lily bland and Marilyn was Marilyn........

The House was neat and modern and it was nice to see Spot move about.......

I kept an open mind to it and had i not know of the original Munsters I might have liked it more......

I just don't get why they did not stick to the original style make up....did they lose the rights to use the Universal style make up??

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  I just finished watching Mockingbird Lane, fully expecting it to suck...and I freaking LOVED it. It was different, but totally engrossing and Grandpa was hysterical.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but now I wish it had been picked up as a series.
                  It was different alright, it was NOT the Munsters...A sad Addams Family rip off IMHO. Werewolf, I totally agree with you.

Dana
                  Last edited by danadoll; Oct 27, '12, 1:56 AM.
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by kingdom warrior

I just don't get why they did not stick to the original style make up....did they lose the rights to use the Universal style make up??
                    They shouldn't have. The Munsters, the Universal Monsters and NBC are all part of the same corporate family, NBCUniversal.

I personally thought it was a waste of my time, as well as bring a waste of $10 million for NBC. I could think of better ways to spend that kind of money than to trample on the hollowed ground of 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

There were some interesting concepts being tossed about. I'm just not sure they needed to be grafted on to The Munsters...
                    Last edited by The Toyroom; Oct 27, '12, 1:58 AM.
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                      Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                      • Aug 14, 2007

Now I'm more curious about it than I was. I love Eddie Izzard, though.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                      https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

i will say that Lily was super hot. even though the actress pitches for the other team

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Eddie Izzard stole it just like I knew he would. I'd watch it as a series solely for him. Didn't think they quite knew what to do with Herman though. Still, really enjoyable with tremendous production values.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

I was never really a fan of the Munsters, although the Christmas special from a few years back was kind of fun. I really don't have a feeling of reverence for the characters.

I understand why fans of the show wouldn't appreciate the effort, though. I liked it better than I thought it would,
                            And according to HitFix.com it got decent ratings. The production values were really good, and I was surprised that Bryan Singer directed it.

I was really surprised by the baby bear attack. The whole show has scarier and more graphic than I expected, which I sorta enjoyed. But as others mentioned it was really uneven. The humor was mostly miss and the jokes that hit weren't that funny. I did enjoy the various references to old horror films, like the cartoon werewolf that howled at the moon like in the opening credits of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

But, I understand why NBC passed on it as a series but still aired it as a Halloween special. The pilot had to be costly and it did have a certain quality to it, but I have no clue what kind of audience it would attract. It wasn't sharply enough written or sexy or graphic enough (think True Blood) to truly appeal to an adult horror crowd and it was too intense for family or children viewing. And as so many stated, it was only vaguely the Munsters.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎