• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Cabin in the woods

Just saw this one.
    Though I'm a Whedon fan, this just didn't work for me.
    What would have worked, is if the story started with the campers, slowly progressed with them realising something's wrong in the cabin, then finding clues that it's all a set-up (so no scientists until halfway the story).
    The way they presented it now, giving away most of the big reveal from the very start, it took away all the suspense for me. I hated it that whenever I got into the mood of the film ("aargh, we're being chased by zombies!"), they switch back to those wretched scientists. It kills the flow!

The movie is also pretty short, so before you know it, most of the cast is dead without giving you a chance to get to like any of them.

I liked the cabin part (by itself), and all the references to classic monster movies, and I liked the underground base with the pantheon of evil, all sectioned off in cubes. That was cool. But as a whole, the movie didn't work for me.
    Btw, they present this as a Whedon film, but he didn't direct it. It's Poltergeist all over...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • Toyman_Chris
    70's Era Pimp
    • Sep 7, 2011

I really loved this movie. I guess for all the reasons you hated it. LOL.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
      I really loved this movie. I guess for all the reasons you hated it. LOL.
      Glad you liked it!
      As said, I'm still a Whedon fan, so maybe his next one will be more to my liking. And maybe you'll dislike it...
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
        70's Era Pimp
        • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
        Glad you liked it!
        As said, I'm still a Whedon fan, so maybe his next one will be more to my liking. And maybe you'll dislike it...
        Perhaps. LOL. I will say I laughed and enjoyed the movie for what it was. It most certainly wasn't a thriller. I really thought it took what people expected and flipped it around on them. Also, regarding the parts with the scientist were slowly revealing what was going on. Not as if it really ruined anything for me. I thought it still had a "suspense" aspect. Admitedly, it wasn't too hard to guess what was up though.

I do plan on buying this Blu Ray for my collection and I have been picky as of late.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Just watched this last weekend and Imust say I enjoyed.
          Not awesome by any means but enjoyable and not the norm so I was pleased.
          My 16 year old daughter simply loved the film.Will be getting the blue ray as well.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I know i'm late again but I just watched it tonight.

I agree with Rik on all counts.

Thought it had potential but was put together all wrong

The movie was like a mashup of Westworld and Evil Dead.

Didn't work for me --- and the ending was horrible (the Gods)

It would have been better as an episode of Supernatural

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

I have to disagree. I thought this movie was fun and different from the normal mold that hollywood mass produces. They went outside the box and for that I commend them. I was very entertained.
              Sammy

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎