Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Identify!-Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickD
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 31, 2011

Help Identify!-Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy!

I went to a estate sale a couple years back and found these, but never knew what they were?

they look like printing press molds to me?

Maybe someone can help identify what these are..

• Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

If they're real they are SUPER-NEAT .... and maybe worth a ton of money to right person.

Comment

• RickD
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 31, 2011

I also have one from the Invisible Man. needless to say I am a huge Abbott and Costello fan! I love these things just have no clue what they are. I've never see them before.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i agree, they look like printing molds....but I have no real idea what they might have been used for

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Aren't printing molds in reverse?
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RickD
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 31, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
            good point! there is no date on them and I am confused as to what they are??

Comment

• The Shadow Knows
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 24, 2012

Nice item. These were available to order from film distribution PRESS KITS for movie theaters to use as PRE-MADE AD COPY for placement in newspapers. They could also be used for making FLYERS at the local print shops. The really well done versions also have PHOTO plates.

These are most likely from the late 1950's or early 1960's during the resurgence of the MONSTER CRAZE and SHOCK THEATRE on T.V.

COOL item.
              Who KNOWS what EVIL lurks in the hearts of men? The SHADOW knows!!

VINTAGE MEGOS WANTED: STARSKY, and an Action Jackson ARMY UNIFORM

Comment

• The Shadow Knows
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 24, 2012

Forgot to note that these are the POSITIVE images used to create the NEGATIVE images for printing.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
                  Type3Toys Has Transformed
                  • Oct 5, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  These would be in reverse depending on which side you faced to the camera.
                  View My Customs
                  www.type3toys.com
                  or check here
                  http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

My dad worked for the local newspaper, so I have seen this type of thing before. The paper got them from the news syndicate, and used them to create local ads with the logos & copy, just like Shadow Knows said. They created a reverse press plate using these. They also sent these for car ads, comic strips, puzzles, etc. I don't know what the value of them is, but I do know they did not keep them after they were used. They were thrown out. But I'm guessing they would not be too expensive.

Comment

• The Shadow Knows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 24, 2012

That's right! I totally forgot about the other types of ads etc that were created using these. Back in the day, before computers, this was a cost effective method of doing COPY READY ADS.

I believe johnnystorm is correct in the value on these. They were one use only, but made in large numbers. But then again, something is worth only what someone is willing to pay.

Still a neat item.

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                      My dad worked for the local newspaper, so I have seen this type of thing before. The paper got them from the news syndicate, and used them to create local ads with the logos & copy, just like Shadow Knows said. They created a reverse press plate using these. They also sent these for car ads, comic strips, puzzles, etc. I don't know what the value of them is, but I do know they did not keep them after they were used. They were thrown out. But I'm guessing they would not be too expensive.

Comment

• RickD
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 31, 2011

Thanks everyone for the input! I wasn't to worried about the value. I am a huge fan of Abbott and Costello and don't plan on getting rid of these. I'm just grateful to know what they are.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎