Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SALEM'S LOT: Still good after 30 years...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I have never seen this, but given the great recommendations here, I will check it out by next Halloween!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

When I was a kid, at some point shortly after the window scene, my mom asked me if I was okay. I said yes, but closed my eyes so I didn't have to watch and fell asleep soon after.

Comment

• Batman
        "Real" Unlike Others
        • Dec 13, 2010

Yes it is classic and the master scared the crap out of me!

Especially that shot when David Soul was going to stake him then his head popped up!

I still jump when I see that...

Comment

• wolfie
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 31, 2007

Am i right in saying that there are various versions of this knocking about?

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

Various versions meaning different version of the 70's miniseries or different versions of Salem's Lot itself? There was a remake of it some years ago with Rob Lowe as Ben Mears and Rutger Hauer as Barlow. I do not know of any different versions of the actual 70's miniseries.

Comment

• megoapesnut
              The name says it all!
              • Dec 3, 2007

Did anyone catch the Mego mummy figure in Mark Petrie's room as they were panning through it in one of the scenes?

Comment

• wolfie
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 31, 2007

I was right, the dvd runs 183 minutes but there is a 112 minute version which was released in cinemas in the UK and is shown on cable in the US and is probably still around on VHS.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                  Did anyone catch the Mego mummy figure in Mark Petrie's room as they were panning through it in one of the scenes?
                  Yep! I've seen that. I like the Aurora models he has as well. Great stuff.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                    Mego Dork
                    • Nov 9, 2008

One of the few movies that ever really scared me as a kid. Still creeps me out today. Especially the window scene. Excellent flick!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

I don't think I have seen it but I remember reading it...I must have been 13.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                        The name says it all!
                        • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                        I don't think I have seen it but I remember reading it...I must have been 13.
                        Yeah, it is a great book. By far my favorite Stephen King novel. I read it once a year or so. I love how it doesn't really come across as a horror novel. The way it is written, it seems like it actually could have happened somewhere.

Comment

• artskull
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 14, 2010

Anyone ever seen a custom of Barlow the vampire? Even as a Nosferatu wannabe, he was certainly creepy to me when I was 12.
                          --
                          ArtSkull: Graphic Design & Illustration

Comment

• bleit1701
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 1, 2009

I"m not really creeped out by movies but this one still gives me the willies. Something about the mood that says 'something evil is behind right now!'
                            Better late than never.....

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, there are at least a couple of different cuts of the original version.
                              IMDB has the specs:

Broadcast on network TV in the United States to fill a 200 minutes time slot; later cut to 150 minutes. An alternate 112 minutes cable-TV cut was released theatrically in Europe and is available on video in the USA. The 112 minute version contains an altered scene of Cully Sawyer threatening Larry Crockett with a shotgun. Larry holds the shotgun barrel in his mouth, though in the mini-series he holds the barrel in front of his face. There is also an extended scene of Bill Norton impaled on antlers. Also, Salem's Lot: The Movie has some different music from the mini-series version.

DVD contains 183 minute version which is the complete mini-series.

The VHS 1987 version omits the scene where Ben and Mark are in Mexico, and a vampirized Susan is laying down on a cot in a hut. Then, Ben enters the room and impales her in the chest with a wooden stake.

It's a great adaptation.
                              I recently bought the novel (again) because it has some expanded content.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎