• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Abigail (Vampire movie)

th (11) (20).jpg

Abigail is a 2024 American vampire horror film directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett from a screenplay written by Stephen Shields and Guy Busick. Based on and a reimagining of the 1936 Universal Classic Monsters film Dracula's Daughter, the film stars Alisha Weir as the eponymous daughter of Count Dracula, alongside Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kathryn Newton, William Catlett, Kevin Durand, Angus Cloud, and Giancarlo Esposito. (Wiki)

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Despite all the press and stories of the film's development leading up to it, this in no way looks or feels ANYTHING like the 1936 production of Dracula's Daughter. There you had Dracula's grown daughter seeking to be cured from her curse, while also being unable to resist her urges...with some suprising-for-the-time lesbian overtones. Having said that, Abigail looks like a lot of fun, and I think me, my wife and daughter will go see it this weekend.
    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Universal Studios is finally working out there movies. I have watched the original Dracula's Daughter and it is a slow movie. Abigail is the opposite, after the 30 minute mark it goes blood, guts, and horror in the escape room style movie.

I normally don't go for the slasher style horror but this was so good. The only problem was we were the only two in the theater so we missed out on the audience reaction.

If you are going to watch this go this weekend with an audience to get the full jump scare parts.

I cannot wait for the sequel! PXL_20240418_224616301.jpg PXL_20240418_230309683.jpg PXL_20240418_231428902.jpg
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Watched it yesterday and had a really great time with it. NOTHING like the original Dracula's Daughter, as I expected, but that's perfectly fine. I thought the concept and execution were pretty original, and the characters were intriguing, even somewhat likeable despite their shady professions. There were several subtle nods to the original Universal Dracula and other connected films, but nothing overt. If you know it, you will say "Ah-ha" in your mind. Fun, extremely bloody flick!
        sigpic

Comment

• publiusr
          Museum Super Collector
          • Aug 23, 2015

Some compare it to this
          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livid_(film)

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Well I feel silly. Kathryn Newton has now played a major part in the newest Frankenstein (basically Dr. Frankenstein) & Dracula movie (basically Von Helsing).
            Lisa Frankenstein 2.jpg Abigal 3.jpg

Now she has to do a werewolf movie!!!
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I was sitting in the theater, knowing I'd seen her in something. Then it hit me she was Cassie Lane in Quantumania!
              sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

^ We went to see this yesterday and I was wondering the same thing, only it was her run on Supernatural for me. I also couldn't figure out where I'd seen "Frank" before, knew it was recent but couldn't place him. LOL...Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, which we had just seen the night before on a whim (our third viewing). Recognized "Peter"" immediately from his run on The Strain.

We'd been looking forward to this movie for awhile now, but weren't able to go last weekend, we bought advance tickets for yesterday. We enjoyed it and thought it was done pretty well, although I had a few problems with the last act...just some knit picks though. Alisha Weir did a great job of playing a creepy little bloodsucking ballerina. I saw some shades of Claudia from the movie Interview With The Vampire, and couldn't help but wonder if that dance with her "partner" was an intentional direct reference to that film.

For those that enjoyed the vibe of this movie, I can't recommend Ready Or Not enough, basically the same creative team.
                Last edited by Dark Shadow; Apr 28, '24, 3:07 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I just watched this and thought it was pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎