Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

I saw Roger Corman at the Expo this weekend. He mentioned the two movies that killed the independent "B's", Jaws and Star Wars. He talked about how they were essentially B pictures with a lot of money thrown at them which made it impossible for the independents
    to compete. I enjoy both those movies but I do see his point.
    He also gave an interesting "explanation" as to why his pictures aren't really, technically B pictures. B movie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He claims that B picture refers specifically to the golden age films that were second on the bill, but he was sort of smiling all through as if he was just blowing smoke.
    I got him to sign an original lobby card for Masque of the Red Death.
    It was a golden moment.

Comment

• jayihdz
      aaaggghhhh!
      • Mar 6, 2007

I've have always wanted to be in a "b" movie...get kill on on a horror one or to be next to the chicks that show boobage....

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>and their film version destroying one of my favorite book series, Deathlands

Someone ELSE who'd read the Deathlands books? I had a friend YEARS ago who was a huge fan, and I was the only other guy in th gang who'd read them. I saw one film.... it looked like it was from the 90's. Is that the one? Or are there more....?

>"PLANET TERROR".. More radioactive, zombies you could shake a stick at..!

HAW! I liked that one a lot too!

>He claims that B picture refers specifically to the golden age films that were second on the bill,

That's true; but the term has been appropriated over the years to refer to any cheap, quickly produced high-shock schlock kind of film.

>He mentioned the two movies that killed the independent "B's", Jaws and Star Wars.

Yeah, I can see that. In a way they were both cognizantly b-movies. They both killed REGULAR movies too.... in a way. "Jaws" created the idea of the summer blockbuster, and Star Wars showed how the tie-ins can be as important (if not MORE) than the film itself.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

>and their film version destroying one of my favorite book series, Deathlands

Someone ELSE who'd read the Deathlands books? I had a friend YEARS ago who was a huge fan, and I was the only other guy in th gang who'd read them. I saw one film.... it looked like it was from the 90's. Is that the one? Or are there more....?
          I've read a bunch of those, they're enjoyable, not much depth but it's solid pulp fiction.

Personally I didn't mind the Sci Fi movie version (shot in Toronto, a friend did some makeup on it) it was good for what it was. Everything else the channel makes however IMO is largely lamentable.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mazinz
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 2, 2007

Palitoy,
            The first 36 books written by the original author Laurence James are still the best among them.

CTC,
            yes there was only one movie for deathlands

Jayihdz
            I was in a b movie and that being toxic avenger part 4: citizen toxie, it was fun for the short time I was there
            "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Palitoy,
              The first 36 books written by the original author Laurence James are still the best among them.
              I read some early and later ones and I kind of agree, I wasn't putting them down, I like that kind of book but they are pulp entertainment. Just like the "Destroyer" or "Doc Savage" two other series I really enjoyed.

The Deathlands movie was a series pilot, I was hoping it would be greenlit.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>The first 36 books written by the original author Laurence James are still the best among them.

It always seems funny when you hear stuff like that. "The first 36...." I shouldn't be surprised though; my beloved Perry Rhodan is into volume 3700 or so, and I can't count how many Mac Bolan: The Executioner" books have come out. (As I recall there are two or three spinoffs too.)

I've only read the first 20 or so and yeah; they were pretty entertaining. Reminded me a lot of the old Gamma World or Morrow Project RPGs. (Both personal faves.)

>there was only one movie for deathlands

I've seen it then.

>The Deathlands movie was a series pilot,

I can see that. It was kinda tv-budgety. I didn't hate it; but it lacked a lot of the manic manicness of the books. (It sorta felt like any of the zillion other post apocalypse movies from the 80's.)

Don C.

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

Laurence James passed away a few years back and since then we have had a number of authors taking a run at the series. Some are ok and some were just terrible that stopped me from reading them. I kind of keep up with what is going on in that series (jamesaxler.com), but have not read many of the newer ones out within the last 3 years or so
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I'd never thought about Star Wars and Jaws being "B" movies, but now that you say it like that, I guess Corman's right. Star Wars (and the Indy series) were inspired by movie serials, which was a subset of the "B" movies. Indy would have been a "B" movie too if not for the budget. Heck, much of Spielberg's output could be considered "B" with money behind it. E.T., Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds...

My buddies and I used to rent "B" movies by the butt-load every weekend. We MST3Ked them before that show ever started. But they were enjoyable, and as has been said, very imaginative. They often went off in odd directions a similar "A" picture would never dare.

It does seem they are mostly gone. Sci-Fi's trash doesn't even qualify in the alphabet.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

Oh, C'mon.
                      Not all the Sci-Fi movies are utter crap.

There are a few off the top of my head that are well worth watching.

Mammoth -
                      Has Summer Glau in it
                      The lead, the dude from the Invisible Man series does and excellent job of chaneling Bruce Campbell for this role.
                      The CGI mammoth sucks of course, but doesn't ruin the movie, which never takes itself too seriously and is just a fun enjoyable waste of time

Jolly Roger: Massacre at Cutter's Cove -
                      This is one for those that appreciate really baaaaaaad movies.
                      The effects are horrible, and completely low budget.
                      The script is all over the place, even vearing into a strip club (or really nasty bar, can't remember for sure)
                      And the acting is classic B movie quality.

The Hollow -
                      A nice little spin on the Headless Horseman story,
                      I don't think it really had any CGI to screw up, so the effects are not an issue.
                      Also stared Kaley Cuoco so there is some nice eye candy in the movie too.

I am also surprised no one has mentioned one of the all time best B movies.
                      Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

AMCTV.com has a cool B movie section if anyone cares to check it out:

AMC B-Movies
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡