Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Well, everybody likes something different. That's why we don't all wear the same shirt.
    I used to enjoy challenging myself to watch sick stuff. As I've gotten older, I've gone soft.
    Nowadays, the old slasher movies seem tame and friendly. This movie evoked that somehow. But I'll sit through most horror flicks. The only thing I have no patience for is way over-the-top sexual exploitation and graphic rape scenes. Oh, and real animal killing. I just can't make that scene.

Comment

• Vortigern99
      Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
      • Jul 2, 2006

I'm quoting myself here, in case this question got lost at the bottom of the previous page.

Originally posted by Vortigern99
      So far no one has mentioned that in the original first film, the mother was the murderer. Jason didn't pop up until the final shot of the movie, and he was clearly a zombie child.

How does the new movie address these matters, if at all?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Vortigern99
        So far no one has mentioned that in the original first film, the mother was the murderer. Jason didn't pop up until the final shot of the movie, and he was clearly a zombie child.

How does the new movie address these matters, if at all?
        During the first half of the film, parts 1-2-3 of the series are addressed, so you get to see Mom, Jason with the old bag over his head, and the addition of the hockey mask.
        My favourite scene is when someone offers Jason a hockey stick "to complete his outfit"....

Most classic scenes are incorporated in the whole film, without it seeming contrived or forced.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Vortigern99
          Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
          • Jul 2, 2006

Ohhhh, I see. It's a sequel rather than a straight reboot. Got it.

I've heard that Ebert, who used to beg Paramount to stop making these movies, actually liked this one. Go figure.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Well, maybe I didn't phrase it correctly.
            The scenes you see aren't from the original movies, they are "replayed", if you get me.
            The scenes with Mom are in the opening credits, for example.

So it still feels as a sequel.
            I think.

What are you doing tomorrow night? We'll go see it together....
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
              I've seen Thomas' basement. he says it's going to house his Mego collection, but believe me, that place was gruesome. Dark, grimy, depressing.
              Who knows what his plans are down there.....
              Hey, it IS gonna house my Mego collection... and maybe some other stuff, but let's not get into that right now
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Vortigern99
                Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                • Jul 2, 2006

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                Well, maybe I didn't phrase it correctly.
                The scenes you see aren't from the original movies, they are "replayed", if you get me.
                The scenes with Mom are in the opening credits, for example.

So it still feels as a sequel.
                I think.

What are you doing tomorrow night? We'll go see it together....
                Okay, I get it. The Evil Dead sequels both do the same thing. They re-tell the events of the previous movie in a slightly different way and with different actors. Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are both sequels and reboots, as it appears this new F13 is as well.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Just saw the Friday the 13th reboot on DVD. My favorite part...was Gorn's review in this thread. Sorry Gorn. I guess I'm too 'old school' but I thought the set up in the beginning was waaay too rushed. I thought the original films had much better back story. This "reboot" barely gives an explanation before Jason is off and killing (I think the mother is killed three minutes in).And not having the iconic soundtrack/"effects" was a terrible mistake. That would be like watching a Halloween film without John Carpenter's score. It was okay, but it lacked that sense of "legend" that was woven into the early films. Everyone knew about the supposed "myth" of Jason in those films and that enhanced his presence considerably. In this he's just some whacked out kid aimlessly roaming the forest without anyone knowing he exists. The movie felt like it was missing alot of that horror tradition that made the old ones so much fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎