X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
    Although I find Max Schreck as Nosferatu creepier than Bela Lugosi's Dracula...

That guy used to creep me out big time. I was scared to death of him. He looked a lot like the vampires in that Salems Lot tv movie from the 70's. That scared me too.
    Rich

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Agreed.

Although big guns like Guillermo del Toro, Alfonso Cuarón, and Alejandro González Iñárritu...are bringing back pride back to Mexican cinema.

Absolutely!! Nuevo Cine Mexicano the movement started in the 90's till now.Has brought it back to it's former Glory and Breathed new Life into Spanish Hollywood!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

Damn!!! That's Sweet!!!!!

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• TEXASFETT
            #1 Bounty Hunter
            • Aug 29, 2008

A Hector when did that big box set go for, and when did it come out?I would love to get my hands on one.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I have to admit that Dracula is my least favorite of the classic Universal movies, despite Lugosi, who was of course great and iconic in the role. Besides the cinematic first parts at Castle Dracula, the movie sticks way too close to the stage play. Everything is filmed sideways like a bad sitcom. From what I've seen of the Spanish film, it actually looks like a movie and is very atmospheric.

It's been several years since I watched Lugosi's Dracula, so maybe I wouldn't be so harsh on it now. But there were plenty of other great movies made at the time that don't seem so stiff, so the age of the movie is no excuse. Just look at Frankenstein made the very next year!

But Lugosi was great as Drac. Not like the novel much, but created a great character in his own right.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I'm with Chris, I find the movie slow and hard to watch but I love Lugosi, it bugs me he isn't in the "House of" series or that he never appeared in any of the Dracula sequels.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by TEXASFETT
                  A Hector when did that big box set go for, and when did it come out?I would love to get my hands on one.
                  universal monsters collection dvd, DVDs Movies items on eBay.com

Wow...they are pretty pricey now...I paid $70 when it first came out.

I'm sure if you are patient and shop around...you'll find a decent priced set.

I would bookmark that page, and check it out once in a while.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I'm with Chris, I find the movie slow and hard to watch but I love Lugosi, it bugs me he isn't in the "House of" series or that he never appeared in any of the Dracula sequels.
                    Dracula is indeed my least favorite film in that boxed collection...but I still like it.

...and yes...too bad he never played that role again...he was fantastic.
                    sigpic

Comment

• ramsey37
                      • Jun 18, 2001

Dracula is indeed my least favorite film in that boxed collection...but I still like it.

...and yes...too bad he never played that role again...he was fantastic.
                      He *did* play Dracula in one other movie: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. While the movie is played for laughs, Lugosi gives a great turn as the Count.
                      George

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ramsey37
                        He *did* play Dracula in one other movie: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. While the movie is played for laughs, Lugosi gives a great turn as the Count.
                        George
                        Yeah, I need to get that movie.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ramsey37
                          George
                          Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, lol.

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

The movie that scarred me for life. Saw Lon Chane Jr. change into the Wolfman at 4 years old and FLIPPED OUT. Scared to death of any and all horror movies, and werewolves in particular, for years. Just goes to show you, you never know what will mess up a kid!

We watched it in school in like 4th grade and by then I was over it thank goodness.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I love these old movies.
                              Just look at all the loving attention they gave to the sets and costumes.
                              That atmosphere was fantastic.

No matter how good CGI effects may be, there's nothing like those handcrafted sets, with real/fake cobwebs.
                              I seem to be one of the few collectors over here that actually likes classic monsters, cause that DVD box with the monster busts included were being sold here last year for $30...
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jasonmego1277
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 9, 2008

I actually have this on DVD too. It really is a very good film. I have the original Universal release , not The Legacy Collection release. My Complaint is with the Picture quality being so poor on a Classic like this. I am not sure the legacy release is any better. Does Anyone know ? When I was knee high Or three apples tall , This thing scared me to no end. Ever since almost every Halloween I was Vampire. I am still fascinated with any and all things Vampire..... All because of this Classic gem.
                                In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎