• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Not bad.
    Quite scary.
    But depressing. I know, not every story needs a "happy ending", but this one will definitely leave you drained.
    Sometimes, an exercise in "stark horror" can be a bit too raw....
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• vulcan2074
      Live Long and Prosper
      • Mar 23, 2008

I Saw it in the Theater. I Liked it alot
      Sammy

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Ok...I just saw it and it was ho-hum to me, lol.

****SPOILERS****

Ok...it was one skinny dude with an ax and wearing a potato sack (or supermarket paperbag, lol), and two chicks with some doll masks...wow...really scary stuff, lol.

The victims had a shotgun and still managed to get their butts kicked, lol.

I hated the cell phone bits, you know, Liv Tyler's having to charge her phone and the boyfriend leaving his in his car...good grief.

And when Tyler and her boyfriend are trying to leave in the busted up car, they see the potato sack dude right in front of them. Well hello people...that's your cue to run his butt over, flat tires and all, lol.

And their friend who enters the house and instead of stopping the vinyl record player and shouting out to his friends, he leaves the record player on...and quietly keeps walking so he can get shot by his buddy...yes...here it comes...another good grief from me, lol.

I'm sorry, but being an experienced weapons user myself and having that shotgun...if I had been in that house instead of those two idiots...the movie would have ended with three dead masked Strangers, lol.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Those are the reasons why I prefer supernatural or monster horror flicks, weapons have little or no effect on your opponent, thus making it much scarier to me.

The Strangers have no powers whatsoever, they are just three people with one axe. They are too ordinary. And all this is supposed to be based on true events. You'd figure once you get shot at with a shotgun...and you as the would be killer have asthma...and are armed only with a borrowed axe (from the shed)...and your backup is one woman and one kid...well come on...that would be a cue to get out of dodge, lol.

Now Freddy Krueger, Jason, and Michael Myers on the other hand...well..that's a totally different picture altogether...they got real skills, lol. Now those movies are not any scarier...but what I'm implying that in a real life scenario...that would be a much scarier real life situation than being confronted by those three Strangers.
          Last edited by Hector; Nov 20, '08, 6:40 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>victims had a shotgun and still managed to get their butts kicked

A friend of mine refers to this as the horror movie "plot based on people doing something stupid" premise. "Wrong Way" was like that too. So.... you're in a house full of weapons, the inbreds are sleeping, and you DON'T pick up an axe? You NEED to die. A lot of the horror movies of the last 30 years have this problem.

....like the Animaniacs said "Oh, we should run and we should flee but then where would our story be?"

Don C.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Exactly, lol.

The movie was suspenseful, I'm not arguing that...but the premise and turn of events themselves did not sit well with me.
              sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                Ok...I just saw it and it was ho-hum to me, lol.

****SPOILERS****

Ok...it was one skinny dude with an ax and wearing a potato sack (or supermarket paperbag, lol), and two chicks with some doll masks...wow...really scary stuff, lol.

Exactly thank you Hec!!!
                The movie like I said before was okay but by no means did it even make me jump,sorry just not scary.I get more chills taking my garbage to the back alley after dark...LOL
                That being said not a bad movie just not scary..And yes I realise it is based on a true story.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Preach it, brother!

sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

LOL.
                    It is what it is.
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• liquorpig
                      • Dec 4, 2008

This film is an American remake of the French original "Ils (Them)". While I didn't mind The Strangers, I would say the original was somewhat better. I suggest seeing the original and posting your thoughts on the differences between the two films.
                      Liquor Pig - Drinking bad liquor so you don't have to!!!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎