Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Godzilla must be doing something right considering he's still alive over 50 years after his debut.

Remind me in 50 years to do a survey and see if anyone still remembers Cloverfield

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by type1kirk
      Godzilla must be doing something right considering he's still alive over 50 years after his debut.

Remind me in 50 years to do a survey and see if anyone still remembers Cloverfield

I'll wager that I'll definitely find someone who remembers Cloverfield in 50 years (especially if we get the likely sequels).

Are you willing to wager that anyone in 50 years (or even TODAY for that matter) will even remotely consider Godzilla (a goofy, doe-eyed lizard with a zipper up its torso) terrifying?
      I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• ramsey37
        • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by darklord1967
        Are you willing to wager that anyone in 50 years (or even TODAY for that matter) will even remotely consider Godzilla (a goofy, doe-eyed lizard with a zipper up its torso) terrifying?
        His zipper is actually on his back beneath his dorsal spikes
        George
        "Oh no, there goes Tokyo...."

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>I have always found the ENTIRE Godzilla franchise hackneyed, corney, and way over the top CAMPY.

That's kinda sad. Having seen the original versions on the recent Master series DVDs I gotta say that the first few were actually very serious and earnest films. I think for us it's kinda hard to see that 'cos we've been exposed to the whole run (which includes a lot of really silly films from the 60's and 70's) and we grew up with effects that were MUCH better than what they had for the originals. Kinda makes us a bit jaded.

>Who would win in a fight between Godzilla and (insert the name of your favorite big monster or robot here)..."

Oh yeah! THAT'S the stuff!!!!! It's kinda like the superhero thing: you NEED that connection prior to the film, otherwise it's gonna be a non-event. I've always loved giant monsters. ANY giant monsters. So seeing Godzilla vs whoever is a kick. 'Course I've never liked Batman, so no matter HOW good the film is, to me it's just more Batman. It's a taste thing.

>Seeing MY city under siege like that by a creature that no one understood or could defend against... it was absolutely nightmarish.

AHA! That's how the Japanese felt about Godzilla. He reminded them of what it was like to be nuked. Kinda goes with my last point: sometimes empathising with a film is the result of something that has nothing to do with the film itself. I can see Cloverfield; a film showing New York being taken apart, hitting a certain nerve with resident New Yorkers.

And that's something that happens, or doesn't. LIke Batman for me. I don't have that prior connection, so it's tough for a Batman story to win me over.

>Are you willing to wager that anyone in 50 years (or even TODAY for that matter) will even remotely consider Godzilla (a goofy, doe-eyed lizard with a zipper up its torso) terrifying?

I would; especially considering how many super-budget new films that are gonna happen between now and then. Godzilla is a fixture here, and an absolute mania in Japan. They have stores that sell nothing but Godzilla merchandaise all over Japan.

When was the last time you saw a Batman store? Yup; and NOBODY would imagine Batman being irrelevant in 50 years.

Don C.

Comment

• darklord1967
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
            >I have always found the ENTIRE Godzilla franchise hackneyed, corney, and way over the top CAMPY.

That's kinda sad. Having seen the original versions on the recent Master series DVDs I gotta say that the first few were actually very serious and earnest films. I think for us it's kinda hard to see that 'cos we've been exposed to the whole run (which includes a lot of really silly films from the 60's and 70's) and we grew up with effects that were MUCH better than what they had for the originals. Kinda makes us a bit jaded.

>Who would win in a fight between Godzilla and (insert the name of your favorite big monster or robot here)..."

Oh yeah! THAT'S the stuff!!!!! It's kinda like the superhero thing: you NEED that connection prior to the film, otherwise it's gonna be a non-event. I've always loved giant monsters. ANY giant monsters. So seeing Godzilla vs whoever is a kick. 'Course I've never liked Batman, so no matter HOW good the film is, to me it's just more Batman. It's a taste thing.

>Seeing MY city under siege like that by a creature that no one understood or could defend against... it was absolutely nightmarish.

AHA! That's how the Japanese felt about Godzilla. He reminded them of what it was like to be nuked. Kinda goes with my last point: sometimes empathising with a film is the result of something that has nothing to do with the film itself. I can see Cloverfield; a film showing New York being taken apart, hitting a certain nerve with resident New Yorkers.

And that's something that happens, or doesn't. LIke Batman for me. I don't have that prior connection, so it's tough for a Batman story to win me over.

>Are you willing to wager that anyone in 50 years (or even TODAY for that matter) will even remotely consider Godzilla (a goofy, doe-eyed lizard with a zipper up its torso) terrifying?

I would; especially considering how many super-budget new films that are gonna happen between now and then. Godzilla is a fixture here, and an absolute mania in Japan. They have stores that sell nothing but Godzilla merchandaise all over Japan.

When was the last time you saw a Batman store? Yup; and NOBODY would imagine Batman being irrelevant in 50 years.

Don C.

Well... you got ME convinced! I've never been so thoroughly and effectively disarmed of my own opinion during a (mini) debate probably ever!

Well done, good buddy! You points were eloquenty stated and very effective !

In fact, I may have to give the ORIGINAL Godzilla film a chance just to see if it is as serious as you say.
            I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>I may have to give the ORIGINAL Godzilla film a chance just to see if it is as serious as you say.

If you do, get the Master Edition, and watch the Japanese edit. The American one is pretty good too; but you see a lot more of the effect Godzilla has on the country in the Japanese one. (It's more depressing too; especially the "We'll be with father soon, son" scene....)

Even "Godzilla vs the Thing/Mothra" was pretty good, and not as silly as I remembered it. They DO get silly fairly early on, but like I said, I have no problem with that as long as I get some giant monsters.

Don C.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                Live Long and Prosper
                • Mar 23, 2008

Darklord
                Awesome in depth explanation of Cloverfield. I actually Really Liked that Movie alot. It was definately worth waiting in line for. I can't wait for the sequel.
                V~2074

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by darklord1967
                  I'll wager that I'll definitely find someone who remembers Cloverfield in 50 years (especially if we get the likely sequels).

Why would any of us wager on this subject 50 years from now?

We will be all DEAD by then.

You diss Big G...I diss your overgrown tick/squid hybrid.

Last edited by Hector; Sep 9, '08, 1:01 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I can watch Godzilla movies over and over again...sure it's a dude in a zipper suit...but they are a lot of fun.

Cloverfield?

One viewing was enough for me. Wasn't even scary to me...just annoying.

I consider it a big budget Blair Witch Project.

If I want camera-shaking...I watch one of my own home movies, lol.

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

War of the Gargantuas...now that my friends is an awesome movie.

sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>War of the Gargantuas...now that my friends is an awesome movie.

....AND it's the next one they're doing a Master Collection version of. Comes in a set with Rodan.

>I consider it a big budget Blair Witch Project.

I consider it a big budget "Boggy Creek." (The Blair Witch BEFORE the Blair Witch.) But I did enjoy it. (Two words: Giant. Monster.) It was an attempt to do something a little different, and I appreciate different. (Wether it works or not.) And I didin't think it was that bad a film. Not GREAT; but not bad.

I'd watch it again.

Now, if someone wanted to do a film where the Cloverfield monster fights Godzilla....

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Zilla would win in a second.

He'd toy with Cloverfield like a cat with a mouse --- then Zilla would make Clover toast when he got bored with him.

Comment

• chalwa
                            Mego Philomath
                            • Jun 8, 2007

Musings...

I recently saw the Gojira (Godzilla) DVD and have to say I didn't miss Raymond Burr one bit. It's a very dark film esp. in light of the war a decade or so earlier. Highly recommend.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(1954_film)
                            Regarding Cloverfield, I didn't find it much more than annoying either. I have a better movie experience if I (as most do) find a person who you can sympathize and empathize within the cast. Doesn't have to be like me, socially, economically or politically. The person I 'swap with' if you will. I just couldn't find that in this movie. This isn't a hard and fast rule for me, but in this movie in particular I suppose I needed that.
                            A MUCH better monster-with-no-history was shown in the movie I watched right after Cloverfield; 'The Host', a South Korean film.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Host_(film)
                            YouTube - The Host trailer
                            Look at one minute and nine seconds into the trailer. That thing coming up behind that little girl chilled me to the bone.
                            It has comedy and horror elements that are sewn together perfectly. I empathized with the entire main cast esp. the geeky ne'er do well who only wants to save his daughter.
                            It's hard to find but if you can, get this movie. It has one of the best no cop out endings in recent memory. Even with subtitles, which I am not fond of but will tolerate I loved it.
                            I am not from New York so it is less personal to me but I found this movie much much better than Cloverfield.
                            The balcony is closed.
                            bestest
                            Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
                            The Misadventures of Captain Blog
                            Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
                            I shall be very proud and great.
                            And tell the other girls and boys,
                            not to meddle with my toys.
                            -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

The Host was excellent...the only scene I didn't like is where the entire family starts crying hysterically in that gym...it goes on forever...and it becomes quite comical...but other than that...great movie indeed.
                              sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                                Fear the monkeybat!
                                • Aug 16, 2001

>'The Host', a South Korean film.

That's a good one too! Very entertaining. (I liked the scene with the stop sign!) I don't consider it a really "good" film either, since it sort of jumps around a lot plot-wise; and.....

SEMI-SPOILER ALERT:

...I hate the sort-of happy ending thing. So.... it eats everybody right away EXCPET the kids, which it keeps around for later...?

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎