X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
    You see. . .the main characters really are Obi-Wan and Anikan. . .only THEY are in all six episodes.
    Umm. No. R2-D2 and C-3PO are also in all 6 episodes.

It is actually a love story. . . that follows their whole lives and into eternity. They are both young and care free, each starting out as students under their shared Master who sadly dies. This bonds them together surely in an almost Kirk-Spock quasi love-nest story arc. . . . .the six episodes follow (as so many movies do) the path of their love,. . .sometimes tearing them apart. . . BUT FINALLY being brought together in the end - together for eternity. Is this NOT how the story and saga ends?

Well... yes... that IS how the story ends. But... um... "love story" between Anakin and Obi-Wan you say? I... uh... respectfully think it is YOU who are WAAAAY off the mark, as it were.

It is also Palpetines pandering and ego stroking that you call fathering. . . that is the SEDUCING force to the Dark side.

Yes, Palpatine's pandering IS part of Anakin's seduction to the dark side of the Force. But the blatant mistrust, hostility, and rejection by the Jedi Council didn't help matters.

In any event, I never referred to Palpatine's ego-stroking as "fathering" of Anakin. I said he "... encouraged him, and treated him like a son over the years... made him feel useful, wanted, appreciated, and respected..." . I certainly do NOT see that as the same as "fathering" him.

To be a Jedi Knight - is a spiritual commitment. . . a form of Warrior priest if you will. . . who like all priests must cast aside their own feelings, wants, desires, and exist only to serve others for the greater good.

Hmm. You mean the way Anakin consistently did on behalf of the Jedi order and on behalf of the Republic right up until the last moment before his fall to the Dark Side? Yes I agree.

It's a good thing Luke Skywalker REJECTED the notion of casting aside his personal desires during his transformation into a Jedi. Otherwise he may have blindly obeyed Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi and just tried to KILL his father without recognizing the good that still lay within him waiting to be rescued and brought out.

It was Luke's love and personal desire to save his father that helped draw him back from the clutches of the Dark Side of The Force.

And without Anakin's re-awakening, Palpatine would have murdered Luke, Vader would continue to be The Emperor's sad slave, and the galaxy would continue to be mired in the Empire's darkness and cruelty.

The Jedi must not focus on self - seek praise, pandering or ego boosting steam being blown up their skirts. NO. . .the Jedi regadless of his feats. . .must be humble and learn humility. No personal gain.
    Fine. Does this mean that he should also close himself off to the obvious arrogant "ego-boosting and pandering" that the Jedi engage in with each other... but conspicuously exclude him from?

And while NOT seeking praise, should Anakin also blindly look forward to and accept the un-warranted and un-deserved disdain, disrespect, hostility, mistrust, and rejection of the very brotherhood that teaches him these selfless lessons of service for others?

Had he taken on these lessons, you see as personal attacks and shuns upon him, he would not have been seduced to the dark side.
    Well, that's certainly ONE (jedi-centric) way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it is if the Jedi order had been more supportive and compassionate toward their brother Anakin, then his (already) incredible loyalty to them might not have been broken at all. And everything could have been avoided.

Don't forget: His loyalty to the Jedi was only broken as a desperate last resort.

The Jedi's and council did what was best for him.

And how exactly did they manage that? By alienating and isolating him every step of the way? A fine example that is for a bunch of knights who stress compassion and service to your fellow man. Does this compassion and service NOT apply to each other as well?

SADLY the council was correct to warn against training him in the first place - his desires, wants, ego etc. . . made him unworthy to be a Jedi. . . he was too vein and this was his undoing.
    No. He was perfectly worthy to be a Jedi. His un-matched skill, bravery, mastery of The Force and loyalty demonstrated that. As for his vanity, that really had very little to do with his undoing and fall to the Dark Side of The Force.

I'd say a more direct culprit was his fear of loss.

He was so afraid to loose Padme, his true love (and to feel the helpless emotional agony that he experienced with his mother's brutal murder), that he was willing to do anything to prevent her death... even selling his soul to the Devil. That's the ultimate tragedy of Anakin's story.

Had he obeyed and stayed away at the end of Ep 3 - he would not have finally fallen and killed Windu. . . .and all would have been well.
    You're right. And if Mace Windu had NOT been such a constant jerk toward Anakin from the moment he laid eyes on him as a little boy, then Anakin might NOT have sliced off his arm when confronted with the choice of betrayal or losing the knowledge to prevent his wife's death. And all would have been well. Palpatine would not have stood a chance against BOTH of them, and his defeat would have been total.

Palpatine did NOT lie when he told Anakin that the Jedi "... need you... more than you know."

He was secretly refering to Anakin's ability to defeat even HIM, and helping the Jedi avoid total destruction at the hands of the Sith.

Pamper not the padawan!
    Well the Jedi certainly did NOT do that... and look where it got them.

I say, Reject NOT the padawan with open contempt... especially when he demonstrates loyalty and bravery, and especially when you believe him to be the "Chosen One" who is destined to defeat the Sith and bring balance to The Force.

In short, it's a bad idea to reject your star player.

I hope you have learnt a few things here. Feel free to ask me any thing else you aren't sure about though!

Yes... well I've learned that you could certainly benefit from a clearer understanding of the events of the STAR WARS saga. And that is something that I can happily provide... if you're interested.
    Last edited by darklord1967; Aug 18, '08, 9:41 AM.
    I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
      I was NEVER here!
      • Jun 22, 2008

LMAO. . .that was fun. . . .yeah. . .I thought you would enjoy that! I knew the LOVE STORY would get ya!

Oh. . .but you can't say treated him like a son with supporting adjectives. . . and then reject fathering as a summary - THEY surely ARE the same thing??
      Last edited by AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM; Aug 18, '08, 9:24 AM.

Comment

• darklord1967
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by huedell
        Hi darklord--
        Howdy Huedell, buddy!

Top o' the morning to ya!

-I'm on someone else's computer right now, so I can'tmake a proper post---but I will say that the "accurate" issue
        was a foul up on my end, as I didn't mean to use the word in such
        a different way in both posts---but I think you may have still got kinda
        where I was going anyway----

Well... I only "got" that you considered Obi-Wan's lie to Luke somehow an "accurate" portrait of his feelings on the matter. That contradicted your later post where we both agreed to classify his words as a "lie".

----speaking of which----wow----Aussie really helped me out here
        because quite frankly, he eloquently typed many things I don't have the paitence to type----your posts are nice and thorough darklord---but I actually
        AGREE more with Aussie's take on the Kenobi character.
        Well that's fine, H. We can agree to disagree,(as I've said many times before and in many other debates).

But I do feel that it's best to support my own viewpoint on this stuff with actual cited examples from the films (events, lines of dialogue, etc.). I have done this every step of the way during my stated viewpoint so that it does NOT just exist in the vaccum of merely my own opinion.

Comment

• darklord1967
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2008

LMAO. . .that was fun. . . .yeah. . .I thought you would enjoy that! I knew the LOVE STORY would get ya!
          Aussie... YOU, sir are a sick man.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎