X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

The Beatles Now and then 11-02-23

the final Beatles song worldwide release next Thursday. Can't wait to hear it. i know it's not quite the same, but it's the next best thing. I loved Free as a Bird. Real love not so much, though i would not say i hated it, or even that i did not like it. Just wasn't as good.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Interesting stuff.

It'll be a hit, because Beatles, but I'm wondering how it will stack up against some of their more popular work.

I'm excited to hear it. Technology is amazing. Getting to hear John Lennon, or Prince, or Michael Jackson, or Tupac in new music long after they've passed always gives me chills.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

expanded version of the red and blue greatest hits packages are being released the following week. Now and then will be on the blue one, 1967-1970. each is expanded to 3 LPS. now i just have to decide if i want to spend the extra and get the colored vinyl versions which seem to be exclusive to the Beatles official site, or just the standard black vinyl

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i like it. nice little love song. really just a Lennon solo but still nice to get something new

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

Brought my dad to tears.

It's a good song. Sad considering all that's happened since it was recorded. Gives it new meaning.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

And the excellent short film that details how the song was finally completed.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Kinda of reminds of Free as a Bird mixed with Real Love.

I can can see why George originally thought it was of a ****ty mess and didn't want it released under the Beatles name.

BTW, besides the re-rerceordering why is the the the picture sleeve such a piece of schcitt ?

Who approved that ???

George, you knew what you were talking about ....

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, the album cover is very uninspired. the back of the cover is actually better.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                  Kinda of reminds of Free as a Bird mixed with Real Love.

I can can see why George originally thought it was of a ****ty mess and didn't want it released under the Beatles name.

BTW, besides the re-rerceordering why is the the the picture sleeve such a piece of schcitt ?

Who approved that ???

George, you knew what you were talking about ....
                  I thought George was only frustrated at the limits of the tech being unable to separate John's voice, and piano from the hum.

Also, I like the simplistic front, and think it's wise that all the good stuff is on the back.

I think it's a beautiful song, given what they had, but believe it would've been a much better one had John been able to work on it, and expand upon it.
                  Last edited by B-Lister; Nov 10, '23, 6:20 AM.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

I liked it.I am far from being a big Beatles fan, but the world today needs Beatles music.
                    Last edited by powersthatbe; Nov 10, '23, 5:41 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

Peter Jackson made a comment that they could certainly do more songs, as there were bits from the Let if Be sessions where one or more of them was doing a riff and that those could be taken and finished

i really like Now and Then. i have been playing the single every day. I think the one thing that puts it a little off, is John's voice is still young and strong, but you can hear Paul's warbly old man voice, and too a lesser extent Ringo's.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

But I think that fits the theme of the song.

Now is Paul and Ringo, Then is John and George

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

well, that is one way to interpret it, and there is some truth to how they portray it, but considering it was written and sung almost 50 years ago, that is not the intention. it's a love song to Yoko, as most of his songs were in that period.

like i said, i love the song, it just does not feel like a Beatles song

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

It *was* a love song to her.

She gave it to Paul, and it became more than that.

It's that too, but it's also for Paul, and also for us.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

It all makes me happy and sad at the same time. Which is to say, "love it".

I've been watching "McCartney 3,2,1" on Hulu. Paul's comfort level with Rick Rubin gives us some INCREDIBLE stories of the "how and why" with the recording choices, but hearing the stories of The Beatles before they were THE BEATLES is for lack of a better word, precious.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎