Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what exactly does ebay send now for tax purposes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
    There is bipartisan support in Congress to increase the ridiculous $600 reporting threshold to something more like $10K. I hope it gets done sooner than later.
    I'd be happy with the 200 transactions/$20K in sales level it was before.

if they pass this higher threshold, they will probably make it 10 transactions/$10K or something stupid...
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

There is bipartisan support in Congress to increase the ridiculous $600 reporting threshold to something more like $10K. I hope it gets done sooner than later.
      yeah, the 600 mark is absolutely outrageous. another unjust tax from the government

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i read up on this a bit today. they were pushing this back in June. looks like they are trying to get that set up for this year to roll it back to what it was before. Fingers crossed

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
          valar morghulis
          • Mar 8, 2005

Update on this: The $600 threshold has been delayed again this year, just like last. For this year (filing in 2024), the old threshold of 200 transactions valued at more than $20K will remain in place. For 2024 (filing in 2025), the new threshold will be $5000. The IRS views this as a "transition" year until the $600 limit is implemented the next year.. tho it's likely by that point lawmakers will have made another adjustment.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

where did you hear that? I have been checking periodically to see if that got delayed/changed etc

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

For tax year 2023, eBay and other online payment platforms are only required to report transactions to the IRS once you hit an annual threshold of $20,000 in gross payments and at least 200 transactions. The IRS recently confirmed these thresholds will remain in place for 2023. Beginning Jan.

https://rollcall.com/2023/11/21/irs-...ing-threshold/

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

so I am still confused with the tax reporting (as I am sure many are, thus the delays each year). if i was under the 20k threshhold in sales on ebay last year, am i still required to put anything on my taxes if i did not get a 1099 from ebay? I had no where near the threshhold. i sold under 5K.
                it looks like they have not actually set a threshold for this year yet, only talk of 5K

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

I'm in Illinois, and this great state has been requiring this of eBay for a few years now and I got my 1099K this week. They emailed me notification about it and also sent me a physical one. I think because of the delay mentioned above, if you aren't in Illinois or a few of the other states that aren't so friendly to their residents, I don't think you will see anything until next year. From what I read, this tax year is supposed to start the tax fun for everyone else, unless they can modify it again.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

yeah,. i checked ebay today and it said no 1099 as I did not meet the threshhold. I am in NY. but i was seeing some chatter online that you still have to list the sales amount on your normal taxes? i have never done that before.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                      yeah,. i checked ebay today and it said no 1099 as I did not meet the threshhold. I am in NY. but i was seeing some chatter online that you still have to list the sales amount on your normal taxes? i have never done that before.
                      Yes, that's always been the official statement. You receive any money from any source, you are supposed to report to the taxman. Have a garage sale, make $40, you are supposed to report it.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡