X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Barbie movie

I didn't see a thread on this, so if there is one somewhere, I apologize.

As many of you know, my wife Cindy is a Babie collector, even though she's slowed down with it in the past several years. She was very trepidatious about this film from the early trailers. Especially when they basically said "If you love or hate Barbie, you'll love this movie". So, despite me being kind of interested to see how they pulled this off, she wasn't sure she wanted to see it. The success over the weekend and good word of mouth convinced her, and we went to a matinee yesterday.

For me, it was a very fun, very inventive movie. I can't really compare it to anything else. I guess The Lego Movie, to a point, but that was mostly animated, of course. The fact that Mattel let them skewer their IP and their own company, while also celebrating it was kind of mind-boggling.

For Cindy, it was really very moving in parts. America Ferrera's character gives a speech on what it means to be a woman that really touched her, and it honestly touched me too. It put things in perspective for me that I often don't consider. So, this goofy, over the top movie does have a real message. Some people are saying it's subversive, but I didn't get that at all. Some people need to lighten up, and enlighten up, in my opinion.

My wife and daughter wore Barbie T-shirts, and just for fun, I wore a GI Joe one, but I really enjoyed this.
    sigpic
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

Yes, it’s very original. There are quite a few laugh out loud lines in it. It’s definitely not what you would have guessed a Barbie movie would be, except for the fact that Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach were involved.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

I really want to see it. My daughter said it was good but not what you would expect. Hopefully I'll go this weekend.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I'm going to check it out; I've heard a lot of good things.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

my 19 year old daughter loved it. i want to see it but will wait for streaming

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Barbie has just surpassed the Dark Knight as Warner Brothers highest grossing domestic release.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Good on them. I wouldn't actually mind seeing it again in the theater. It's a lot of fun. Definitely an experience, especially with a good audience.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎