Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

*Certain cooking odors of dishes similar to ones my mother no longer makes--oven-fried chicken, porcupine meatballs, hamburger gravy (over mashed potatoes).

*Steak grilling--I'm right back at my favorite York steak house for my 12-13-14th birthday dinner.

*My dad's Old Spice and grandfather's pipe tobacco

*Model cement (no sniffing!)--building an Aurora or Fundimensions kit.

*Sewing-machine oil--Mom sewing me a costume or toy clothes.

*Freshly-tarred road--we would hit it on a hot summer day and pop the tar bubbles with our toes before the gravel was laid. Then we had to clean our feet with gasoline, and my father would grouse about not having enough gas to mow.

And later--now--my Mego tote has bags of hundreds of sorted vintage parts and a sort of musty/plasticky smell which I associate with classic Mego and all the happiness those toys have brought me over decades.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• msenger76
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 3, 2009

I wish we could still get the figural airwick air freshners. my grandma had witch and pumpkin she saved for years as a halloween decoration

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
        It's not my 70s childhood, but as a teenage Gap employee at the Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne (you ever make it that far south, Mikey?), I remember the distinct smell of the new clothes. They were delivered in these big classic crates with interlocking lids. As soon as you opened the lids, it released a combination of chemicals and cloth smell that will always be with me. The unwashed jeans did have a particular smell. For some time, the move had been to pre-washed jeans, so most of our inventory included those. In fact, the unwashed cost $5-10 less.
        Being a fatboy always had "special" company clothes option.

Levies and Lee never catered to us over-average people (guessing we weren't their thing) …

We were left with Wrangler---- and their fatboy subsidiary also know as Rustler …

Can be easily found in all department store discounts

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Growing up, my grandma kept Irish Springs soap in the bathroom. We never had that soap at our house. I was a preteen when she was alive.

Fast-forward to about three years ago, my wife for some reason put a bar of that soap in our shower without me knowing it. As I lathered up, suddenly a flood of recollections flooded my mind that I didn’t even know I had in my brain. Wonderful memories I didn’t even know were there.

I’m not especially enthralled with Irish Spring soap, but I was just amazed that an aroma could bring to the surface memories buried so deep. It was a crazy experience.

Comment

• Mongoose1983
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2010

I read somewhere that smells are the ability that is most related to memories, or actually what activates it.

Along that of the flowers in Springtime (that instantly take me back to kindergarten days), the one smell that I could mention is that of the Matchbox soldiers' boxes. The smell of the cardboard combined with the plastics is totally unmistakable. Takes me back to 1979-1980 in a second!

c90d576a56c2762f677958ae54928822.jpg
            www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

A box of crayons.

0a010f6fe0c4011d76634d733d50ce59.jpg

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Metal lunchbox inside

Everybody's smelled the same

Combo of out-dated mayo, PBJ, tuna and throw-up

Good stuff

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Hey Mikey- Here's a smell that you might have experienced that always takes me back to childhood, even when I smell today- the Jersey shore!

I know now it's the smell of salt, mud and decomposing salt-water plants, but as a kid, it's arrival meant we were reaching the beach for a day of sand, sun and cheap, tacky boardwalk fun! I'm off to win the water balloon game to pick me up an oversized Led Zeppelin goblet!

boardwalk glass.jpg
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

My first job out of college was for a company that designed and printed billboards. Towards the end of my time there, they bought a large plotter that printed vinyl billboards in strips. I was put in charge of running the plotter. Every day I walked in and the smell of thin sheets of vinyl just about knocked me over. It smelled just like a classic Ben Cooper or Collegeville Halloween costume. It probably wasn't good for my lungs, but I loved it.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                      the Jersey shore!
                      Bill, you gave me a super flashback …

Playing arcade games on the boardwalk for tickets to buy stuff

Think that's how I got my first Sony Walkman …… Only cost me $2000.00

Comment

• Mejo
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jun 30, 2022

Seventies Scents for me ...

Canada Dry Ginger Ale ...
                        Kellogg's Variety Pack cereal ...
                        Those iron-on transfers inside Honeycomb cereal ...
                        The smell of winter on scarves and toques ...
                        Charlton Comics (for some reason they smelled different from any other comic to me) ...
                        Silly Putty ...
                        Coffee (I remember how it used to smell soooo much better than it tasted but the stuff coming out of today's cafes smells awful, yet people still line up and pay too much to drink it) ...
                        Those ubiquitous Halloween costumes with the shell masks ...
                        Old Spice ...
                        Kraft Macaroni & Cheese cheese ...
                        Wriggley's Spearmint Gum ...
                        Butterscotch Lifesavers ...

And one from the '80s I'll never forget: Video rental stores (VHS tapes and electronics in general) ...

Comment

• Mejo
                          Museum Patron
                          • Jun 30, 2022

Oh! I forgot the best smell from the '70s ... when you open up a brand new boxed Mego!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

Nostalgia is a funny thing. FB_IMG_1665403512818.jpg

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Many have already been mentioned, so it applies to me as well…

Play-Doh and Crayons
                              Metal lunchbox: the combined marinated smell of sandwich, banana, small bag of Fritos
                              The after-burn smell of a launched Estes model rocket
                              The soldering smoke from my R/C cars
                              Halloween bag, the entire mixture of goodies
                              Model cement applied on airplane and car kits
                              Eggnog on Christmas
                              The smell of gasoline from my dad’s truck
                              The smell of new Dr Seuss books
                              The smell of my sisters Easy Bake Oven

And living in Mexico ages 7-14, some other memorable childhood smells…

Freshly baked pan dulce from the local panadería shop
                              Mom’s homemade flour tortillas
                              Taquerias
                              The wet smell of dirt after a rain
                              The smell of Adobe houses
                              The stench of pig stalls (many people had those in their houses during that era)
                              Fireworks
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎