X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • great_chandel
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2, 2015

"The Thing" at 40!!!

It is so hard to believe that "The Thing," John Carpenter’s sci-fi horror masterpiece, one of the cult classics in American cinema, is actually 40 years old!!! To many fans, they believe it is Kurt Russell's best film (Escape from New York is up there as well). I have seen "The Thing" so many times now, I know the dialogue better than the actors! It was so ahead of its time with special effects! The cast, including Russell, Wilford Brimley, T.K. Carter, Keith David, Donald Moffat, Richard Masur etc. -- top notch!!!! Of course, being directed by the one of the best ever, John Carpenter, did not hurt! The film was just incredible. It has stood the test of time. While there was an original version with James Arness, and a (forgettable) remake in 2011, next to "Halloween," Carpenter hit the jackpot with this one!!!

Interesting to note, much like "It's a Wonderful Life," it was a box office bomb when it first came out in 1982. Today, it is considered one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

Also, interesting to note, it was one of the very few movies ever made WITHOUT a female in it (Lord of the Flies was another film).
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

one of my favorites. the suspense build up in the movie is simply brilliant.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 12, 2016

Love this movie, as well as the prequel...Still hate wat hing the dog pen scenes though...
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

My entire family loves the Thing, I've been a Carpenter fan for decades, I even love some of his lesser works.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Same here, love the movie, have enjoyed it for many years. Add in the fact that it's a Carpenter flick, plus Kurt Russell and I'm a happy guy!

I'm a fan of the original 1951 Howard Hawks movie as well, I have a Thing from Another World movie poster. It's not the original release, but a vintage from the 1957 re-release.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i actually thought they did a pretty good job with the prequel to lead right into Carpenters movie. some of the effects are dated now but at the time it was scary as hell

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

The first truly scary film I ever watched at the tender age of 10 or so. Talk about ripping off a Band-Aid! I was traumatized, but I loved it nonetheless.
              sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Didn't really like John Carpenter’s The Thing when it first came out.

As a hardcore Classic Sci-Fi lover it was just too different, crazy and schlock compared to the original...

Today, I consider it way superior (compared to the original) …

Makes Alien-1 look like a romp through the tip-tow yard

Yes I've evolved, today LOVE The Thing !!!

BTW, Don't kill me for this but I don't mind The Thing (2011) as well --- if anything for the blatant Carpenter references

Comment

• 80's Kid
                  • Jul 3, 2022

I first saw it at my friend Ruben's house. He had HBO so I nearly lived at his house on the weekends. I loved it then, and recently we watched it as a family and it still holds up. Someone please bring back the monster movie!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎