• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Today is the 46th anniversary of...

...The Rocky Horror Picture Show!
    It's time for Mego to make some figures!
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

46th anniversary ................. ?

Dang, I remember the initial craze being like yesterday.

Always wanted to be a part of it but just couldn't get into it.

My gal said-- you are such'a grampa

Rosey, I would t

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

no joke, like i said in another thread i went to a local con yesterday and Meatloaf was a guest. I had no idea it was the 46th anniversary.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by powersthatbe
        no joke, like i said in another thread i went to a local con yesterday and Meatloaf was a guest. I had no idea it was the 46th anniversary.
        Eddie!

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

In celebration, my 76 year old mother watched it yesterday. I watched it too, but I watched it just before midnight.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
            Creature Of The Night
            • May 14, 2011

"It's just a jump to the left..."

The very first time I saw it was on the Z Channel, at Midnight, by myself...'76 I think. A few years later I would see it again (several times over) at the Midnight Movies with friends.
            Last edited by Dark Shadow; Aug 16, '21, 5:47 PM.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
              "It's just a jump to the left..."

The very first time I saw it was on the Z Channel, at Midnight, by myself...'76 I think. A few years later I would see it again (several times over) at the Midnight Movies with friends.
              yeah i was lucky enough to see it in its early days theater home back in the mid 1970s ,the King's Road Theatre chelsea
              a quick, possibly unnecessary background ,
              i was in my late teens full of **** and vinegar and living with a lady school teacher 12 years my senior at the time ,and she suggested while we were up in london from leafy cheshire that we went to the theatre see a new play that was causing a bit of a stir

now up to this point id only been inside a theatre twice ,once to see a rock and roll 50s revival tour ,billy fury ,marty wild ect and a pantomime one christmas when i was little ,so with a little reverse snobbery i reluctantly went along ,wow it knocked my socks off i was hooked straight away ,went and bought the sound track album as soon as i could find it ,not easy lol, loved everything about it

on a side note i don't think you can discount the effect rocky horror had on the emerging punk scene in mid 1970s london ,as all the kings rd hipsters of the time were hanging out around the venue ,saw Siouxsie Sioux from the banshees and paul cook and steve jones from the sex pistols ,amongst the gang of kids out side soaking up the vibe this event was creating

sorry for the rambling but for any still awake heres a link to a look at the early days of rocky horror lol

Opened at the Royal Court's 63-seat Theatre Upstairs 19 June 1973 - 20 July 1973 transferred to 230-seat Chelsea Classic Cinema King's Road 14 August 1973 - 20 October 1973 transferred to 500-seat King's Road Theatre (another cinema) Kings Road 3 November 1973 - 31 March 1979 - final transfer Comedy Theatre West End April 6 1979 - 13 September 1980. Performances: 2960

little nells undoubted influence on the punk scene

early days of merchandising lol

Last edited by libby 1957dog; Aug 18, '21, 3:32 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I'm half liking that girl's peeking lipstick-covered nips, but I can't help thinking --if this is Rocky, is she really a dude ?

I'm really confused

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 8, 2015

I also wanna add that i am sure this influenced or was influenced by all the GLITTER rock at the time, Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust phase, Iggy & the stooges, Marc Bolan & T-Rex, Roy Wood & Wizzard, SLADE!! the Sweet, and Suzi Quatro. What a great time.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                    I'm half liking that girl's peeking lipstick-covered nips, but I can't help thinking --if this is Rocky, is she really a dude ?

I'm really confused
                    ha ha allow me to clear your confusion its a girl

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

The opening scene and song, "Science Fiction/Double Feature", consists of the lips of Patricia Quinn (who appears in the film later as the character Magenta [in addition to the latter, appeared as 'Trixie the Usherette' in the original London production who sang the song]) but has the vocals of actor and Rocky Horror creator, Richard O'Brien (who appears as Magenta's brother Riff Raff).
                      Last edited by LonnieFisher; Aug 18, '21, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

^--- always thought them lips were of Morton Downey Jr

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I'm a huge fan, I have the film and stage revival soundtracks and listen to them almost weekly while commuting.

Great anecdote, Chris.
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 18, '21, 6:19 PM.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎