Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop vs soda vs coke and other regional differences.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
    Anyone remember SNL's Bill Swerski's Super Fans? "Da Bears! Da Bulls!" People find mid western accents hilarious. Uffdah.
    It's absolutely fascinating to cross a border and experience a different accent. What Chris said above about Buffalo is true, I had the "Maps/Mops" experience in a Topps (pronounced "TAPPS" there) grocery store. I find it so funny that we don't sound alike because of a lake.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

When I watch youtube videos I can always tell it's a Canadian at how they pronounce "out"

Kind like Ah-oot

Comment

• The Nawd
        Nawd your head for yes.
        • Feb 15, 2011

Me and my brothers call them "soda". I'm in eastern TN.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
          It's absolutely fascinating to cross a border and experience a different accent.
          From the Wisconsin/Illinois border the more you go into the Illinois side you start to get the "Bill Swerski" accent and a little bit into Wisconsin you start getting "you betcha."
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I worked with a guy from Belleville that said "hoose" and "aboot" all day long, I never brought it up but yeah, they do exist.

Slightly North of us, 2/3 of my wife's family speaks a language called "Frenglish" and there is a strong leaning to make every statement sound like a question.

ie "I went down to the store?"
            I haven't ventured far outside the "Golden Horseshoe" part of Ontario, so I haven't encountered these myself. I need to make more trips into the wilds up north.

It's absolutely fascinating to cross a border and experience a different accent. What Chris said above about Buffalo is true, I had the "Maps/Mops" experience in a Topps (pronounced "TAPPS" there) grocery store. I find it so funny that we don't sound alike because of a lake.
            Heh, I got the maps/mops example from your story about going to Topps ("Tapps never staps saving you more!"). It is weird that that specific type of accent didn't cross the river into Canada. My mom has a bit of that accent but she's from Niagara Falls, NY, so it makes sense. We used to always make fun of her accent when we were kids.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

People find the upper Midwest Wisconsin/Minnesota accent hilarious.

The rest of you just don't talk normal.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                No, but it still does make them wrong. It should be called "Pop" of course.

I do hope no one takes any of this seriously. It's meant all in good fun.

I mean there's an entire movie making fun of mid western accents.

You betcha!

IT'S SODA!!!!!!!

Comment

• Duncan
                  Museum focus-groupie
                  • Jun 27, 2009

OK...now I really want poutine and a Fresca.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

A lot of them talk like that out in the farms around here too. Especially heading towards Cooperstown.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Duncan
                      OK...now I really want poutine and a Fresca.
                      lol I hope I'm not corrupting anyone.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                        Lot of cricks and rivers around here are called kills

examples:
                        Catskills
                        Fishkill
                        Peekskill
                        Wallkill
                        Paulinskill
                        Bushkill
                        Schuylkill

BTW, saying Schuylkill (pronounced school kill) to somebody not from the area can be a bit awkward
                        that's because the area was founded by the dutch, and kill is the dutch word for creek

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

I never understood the difference between supper and dinner. Are they different, or do they mean the same thing like saying soda and pop?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

^That's complicated, it has to do with:

*What region you live in.

*What's the largest meal of the day, and at what time.

*Formal vs. informal.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

In my house,supper was what we had on Sundays. Dinner was the rest of the week.

Comment

• RonnyG
                                Career Member
                                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                ^That's complicated, it has to do with:

*What region you live in.

*What's the largest meal of the day, and at what time.

*Formal vs. informal.
                                That's interesting! Dinner does sound more fancy and formal, like in the movies when the butler comes into the room and announces to the guests, "Dinner is served!"
                                On that note, shouldn't "TV Dinners" be called, "TV Suppers!" LOL

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎