8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

Hits me harder every year.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Gorgeous piece by the fantastic Mssrs. Barry and Williams. Most everything by John Barry is fantastic. He kind of got swallowed up in the shadow of John Williams once STAR WARS opened and became popular, but Barry's music is easily as powerful, if not as bombastic as Williams' scores.
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

And, of course, John Barry was the man behind the music for the '76 Kong remake. I know I played that album so many times, I think I wore down the needle on my record player. I remember picking the soundtrack up on vinyl for like $5.00 at Consolidated Sales Company back in the day. Here's a taste...

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Allie Fox
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 1, 2009

For me it begins and ends with Cat's in the Cradle. I won't even click on the video for fear of bawling like a baby here at work.

For other reasons and not quite as effective as Chapin but these two songs give me chills:

While no one can replace Freddie Mercury, Elton John is the only person I can imagine singing for QUEEN A.F.

If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Allie Fox
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 1, 2009

As a Mets fan, thanks to Chipper Jones (and previously Larry Walker... but mostly Chipper) the opening bars here also give me the chills and makes me scream "move the outfield back!"

If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Never heard that one before

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the early 70's I was friends with a girl a year or two below me in grade.

She was a real nice person and everybody liked her

Her name was Michelle and she moved away with her family to be regulars on the Lawrence Welk Show.

This song came out the year she left and it always reminds me of her to this day.

m

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

That's a poignant song; I always felt it was about going off to war.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Spawn67
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 14, 2009

Another one that does it for is this song although I was never a MJ fan but the Nostalgia that this song has for me. Instantly takes me back to the summers of 83-85 at my swim club/country club that I went to every day in the summers. They would play this song over a pa system they had there at least once a day. Takes me back to think of the fun we had, my old friends (who I am still friends with to this day),How much more special summers were back then, and just the overall vibe of my childhood entering my teen years in the early to mid 80's..

Last edited by Spawn67; Feb 15, '17, 3:50 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      That's a poignant song; I always felt it was about going off to war.
                      It was a retooled song.

This is the original version (see subtitles)

m

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Comment

• jimbutsu
                          Memory *is* RAM!
                          • Apr 11, 2002

This is a tough one - I've always been super impacted by music, probably more than the norm. There's just SO MANY songs that have an emotional punch, but in different ways and for different reasons.

Gets a reaction, but not a personal one:
                          No One Is to Blame - Howard Jones
                          In My Life - Beatles

Homesickness:
                          Standing on the Moon - Grateful Dead
                          On my Way - Mark Seymour
                          Mr. Jones - Counting Crows

Straight up emotional trauma/grief:
                          The Living Years - Mike + The Mechanics
                          Hold Me My Daddy - XTC
                          Box of Rain - Grateful Dead (possible all-around champion)
                          "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 1, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            One of my favorite soundtracks (and films) of all time. This one gets to me too because my father loved it so much, when I hear it I can't help but think of him.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

There's quite a few songs that get me emotional in various ways. Some of the really tough ones would be....

"WHEN THE TIGERS BROKE FREE" by Pink Floyd. Roger telling the real life story about the death of his father, you can hear how genuine his anguish is here.

"MAPS" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs. A song that meant something strong between myself and an old friend I no longer speak to.

"JESSIE" by Paw. Yeah, kind of an odd choice being a heavier song, but it's a true story about the day the singer ran away from home and his dog followed him for miles until he finally chased the dog off to go back home. Some time later when the guy did return back home, he found out the dog never came back home that day and was lost forever. On it's own it's a touching story, but the fact that I heard it at a time when I'd lost my own dog who I'd had since childhood really touched me, and I still have a hard time listening to it. When the pedal steel guitars come in at the end, it automatically makes me choke up.

These are all really great songs though, if you haven't heard them definitely go on YouTube and check them out!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                                Moderation Engineer
                                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                                This is a tough one - I've always been super impacted by music, probably more than the norm. There's just SO MANY songs that have an emotional punch, but in different ways and for different reasons.

Gets a reaction, but not a personal one:
                                No One Is to Blame - Howard Jones
                                In My Life - Beatles

Homesickness:
                                Standing on the Moon - Grateful Dead
                                On my Way - Mark Seymour
                                Mr. Jones - Counting Crows

Straight up emotional trauma/grief:
                                The Living Years - Mike + The Mechanics
                                Hold Me My Daddy - XTC
                                Box of Rain - Grateful Dead (possible all-around champion)
                                I had forgotten about The Living Years. That one gets me too, along with Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎