X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Apositive
    It was a moment of sadness with me when I read about his passing in the New York Times. I deliberately avoided other coverage and I took the time to reflect on his life and the Mercury Seven program. They were all heroes and he was perhaps the most well known. It was years before my birth, yet the seven were an inspiration to me.
    What were your thoughts on the Savings and loan scandal involving Glenn? He doesn't sound like a hero to me.

Comment

• Apositive
      Career Member
      • Apr 3, 2011

However flawed his political career may have been...that is an aside I am reluctant to write about here(see forum guidelines)....pm me if you wish to discuss. As far as the Mercury Seven program went he was the first American in orbit at a time when the USSR was ahead in the space race.

Comment

• Apositive
        Career Member
        • Apr 3, 2011

earlier Mercury astronauts Virgil Grissom and Alan Shepard rode converted missles into space...I get antsy flying from coast to coast...
        Last edited by Apositive; Dec 17, '16, 10:27 AM. Reason: error,

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Apositive
          However flawed his political career may have been...that is an aside I am reluctant to write about here(see forum guidelines)....pm me if you wish to discuss. As far as the Mercury Seven program went he was the first American in orbit at a time when the USSR was ahead in the space race.
          I agree. His shortcomings don't negate his achievements in my eyes. We Seven is well worth reading.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 17, '16, 11:12 AM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Apositive
            Career Member
            • Apr 3, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I agree. His shortcomings don't negate his achievements in my eyes. We Seven is well worth reading.
            I've been wanting to read that for some time as well as the account of the Mercury Seven's wives, who were thrust into the national spotlight along with their husbands....I will make time for both books in 2017!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎