The Mego Museum needs your help!
The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Splash" -- another needless remake!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sideshow Spock
    replied
    Originally posted by huedell
    ***sniff*** still gets me
    Let's watch it!

    Leave a comment:


  • huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by knight errant00
    John Candy's "I'm an author! I'm an author!" still makes this writer laugh just thinking about it.
    Candy was the heart of that movie IMHO.

    I wish I could've let this thread die on the more light-hearted "I'm an author" bit, but, THIS:

    Allen: I don't understand. All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's... she's a fish.

    Freddie: Nobody said love's perfect.

    Allen: Oh, Freddie, I don't expect it to be perfect! But for God's sake, it's usually human! Every day, people meet, they fall in love, every day! And look at what I got.

    Freddie: [angrily] Look at what you got, huh? Yeah, let's look at what you got. Let's take a good look at what you got. People fall in love every day, huh? Is that what you said?

    Allen: Yeah.

    Freddie: Yeah? Well, that's a crock. It doesn't work that way. Look, do you at least realize how happy you were with her? That is, of course, when you weren't driving yourself crazy. Every day? Come on. Some people will never be that happy. I'll never be that happy! [pause] What am I talking to you for? You don't know anything. Mrs. Stimler! [leaves the office]


    ***sniff*** still gets me

    Leave a comment:


  • Sideshow Spock
    replied
    Originally posted by knight errant00
    John Candy's "I'm an author! I'm an author!" still makes this writer laugh just thinking about it.
    "They published my letter, A Lesbian No More!"!!

    Leave a comment:


  • knight errant00
    replied
    John Candy's "I'm an author! I'm an author!" still makes this writer laugh just thinking about it.

    Leave a comment:


  • huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    I have no interest in rewatching the original or in seeing a remake. the original was fun for it's time but a mostly forgettable movie
    Apparently a few guys here would like to forget it... but, wanting to forget it, and it being looked at through the view of film history as "forgettable" is not the same thing. Just pointing that out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hector
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • enyawd72
    replied
    Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
    Look! A hungry python just pooped out an old timey judge!

    Leave a comment:


  • Sideshow Spock
    replied
    I was 15 when Splash came out, and I don't think I've ever had a crush on a TV/movie star like I did on Darryl Hannah after seeing that movie. OH MY she was beautiful and adorable. What doesn't it have? It's funny, sad, heartwarming, whimsical, you name it. Hanks was great, and as always John Candy and Eugene Levy were hysterical.

    It may not be a classic in your book, but it sure is in mine.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nostalgiabuff
    replied
    I have no interest in rewatching the original or in seeing a remake. the original was fun for it's time but a mostly forgettable movie

    Leave a comment:


  • Hector
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Hardly a classic, mostly a forgettable movie.
    Saw it once in its entirety when it first came out. Then I think I saw part of it years later.

    I can promise you, I will never spend one second watching it again...maybe if Tom Hanks dies, and they show a clip of it in his Memoriam montage at the Oscars, lol...

    Leave a comment:


  • Hector
    replied
    Originally posted by megomania

    Splash is a classic.
    No, it's not a classic, stop the madness...

    Leave a comment:


  • starsky
    replied
    i've come to the conclusion that i'm just OLD. LOL!

    Leave a comment:


  • huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by sprytel
    That may be overstating it a bit... but.. no way I could have told you the name of Tom Hanks' character without IMDB.
    Took me a few minutes actually... and even then I was still second guessing myself.

    And, even though I got it in under 5 minutes, I have to admit that that is a pretty good litmus test, and one I will try in the future.

    "Freddy" and "Kornbluth" are no-brainers though---and, well, the irony of me actually including the phenomenon of Hannah's character's name in my previous post did not go unnoticed--- by me, anyway.

    Leave a comment:


  • huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Hardly a classic, mostly a forgettable movie.
    T-bolt.... Superman III is a "forgettable" movie... seriously people remember it for "the odd casting of Pryor" and "the further twist into tonal dischord" (an oft-ignored trend that started in SII, slowly degrading--- then exploding--- the franchise in SIV).

    I bring up SIII to make a serious point (if not for funny origins due to our historic heated discussing of the film)... even I, who can diagram from here to kingdom come, why Superman III is a more solid film than culture gives it credit for, can still face the fact that no one really remembers what S3 was about... no one remembers or cares about the full range of supporting characters... the culture overall, in truth, doesn't find S3 "memorable", well, except that it's universally accepted as a bad movie (whether i agree, or why I agree is another matter). I an accept that.

    "What can you accept?" Is the question.

    Splash is culturally universally accepted as a great movie. Past and present. In the majority of every conceivable aspect.

    The reviews are great overall on all ends. The supporting cast is remembered and praised.

    The plot? It's so simple, and because people universally love the movie, it's so memorable: "Fish out of water" "Forbidden love" "Happy ending involving sacrifice... for that love.... etc etc"

    If all that doesn't make it "memorable"... doesn't make it make it a "classic".... i don't know WHAT does.

    Then there's this that I just grabbed from Wikipedia:

    Splash made such a large impact on culture that the lead character's odd name... once at 180 something around the time that the movie came out, climbed up to, like, the 3rd biggest name for girls in 2000. Multiple credible sources have credited the success of Splash for this phenomenon... I mean, how couldn;t they...is it just a coincidence that the name "Madison" shot up from the near 200 ranking to the near TOP ranking in the time period just after the movie's release?

    It's hard to "forget" a movie that named a million babies.

    That said, I also read on Wikipedia that they're considering using the "gender flip" to define the originality of the remake's voice----not sure the result is going to be pleasing to me... as I've already had a "tough time" with that choice for the recent GB franchise reboot movie.

    We shall see... but, whatever, it's just a movie, and when it appears we can judge that one as fair as we can...

    But the original? T-bolt? C'mon---it's a bona-fide classic...

    I enjoy debating with ya.... so, try to stay reasonable---or, at the least, I'd enjoy a rebuttal (refuting what I see as undeniable fact) that I can really chomp on!

    Leave a comment:


  • sprytel
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Hardly a classic, mostly a forgettable movie.
    That may be overstating it a bit... but.. no way I could have told you the name of Tom Hanks' character without IMDB.

    I think movies like this are perfect for remakes: a good movie with an interesting premise, but not so sacred you can't put your own spin on it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎