Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Beatles 'Helter Skelter' considered Metal?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

The ultra-rare sole single from Edinburgh's freakbeaters. Tam White on vocals and written by guitarist Johnny Turnball. PS: This is NOT the Buzz who backed D...

would this from 1966 be early heavy or punk.

Comment

• TomStrong
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
      As far as I'm concerned, Heavy Metal didn't truly begin until the first Black Sabbath album was released in 1969/1970.
      I would heartily agree!

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

So what distinguishes metal from hard rock or acid rock?

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Pink Floyd - The Nile Song

m

Comment

• daz71
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by madmarva
            So what distinguishes metal from hard rock or acid rock?
            i think metal has more widdly faster guitar ,hard rock is no frills stuff and acid has psychedelic guitar work.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 23, 2001

A lot of people are saying Sabbath as the first Metal Band. I agree with that...but remember that Ozzy said that it was Helter Skelter that was an influence. I'm not saying the Beatles invented it..all I am saying is that they have an influence on what later became early Metal.

My point is this...a lot of people on the other forum that I am on are tired of hearing "Beatles this and that" but to deny that they haven't influenced almost every genre in music since '66 is just not really listening to music or knowing where the origins of a genre are. People are going to laugh...The Beatles were one of the first to do sampling which is what ends up the main influence in rap. That sampling though should be credit given to the studio magicians at Abbey Road. The likes of Geoff Emerick, Alan Parsons, Norman Smith, Chris Thomas and a whole bunch more. BTW the sampling I am talking about is the "seagull sounds" on 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. Tape loops of guitars that McCartney tried to put together but ended up getting help with from the Abbey Road engineers.
              "When not too many people can see we're all the same
              And because of all their tears,
              Their eyes can't hope to see
              The beauty that surrounds them
              Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
              By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
              Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

The problem is overstating their influence in Metal or any other genre and ignoring their own influences that shaped their sound as well as many others.

Several bands and songs were posted that predate Helter Skelter that show a clear influence to what became Metal. If you want to go even further back you could say Metal is the Blues just louder and faster. James Cotton's Cotton Crop Blues is often cited as one of the earliest influences.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Metal had many parents.

The previously mentioned Blue Cheer

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Several bands and songs were posted that predate Helter Skelter that show a clear influence to what became Metal. If you want to go even further back you could say Metal is the Blues just louder and faster. James Cotton's Cotton Crop Blues is often cited as one of the earliest influences.
                  Well said, I'm a big fan of Sludge Metal (like Electric Wizard and DOWN), and am listening to Jr. Kimbrough right now. The blues had/has a tremendous influence on doom or stoner metal.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

if you want to go EVEN further back, classical music composers have had a great deal of influence on Metal. Bach, Wagner and Beethoven in particular.

Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore was influenced a great deal by classical music.

Metal and Classical do blend well.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Sep 5, 2014

My two cents, as a former card-carrying metal scene guy:

I've been out of my heavy psych/proto metal phase for years by now (I still have a picture of myself wearing a specially made Blue Cheer "Outside Inside" t-shirt circa '95), so I'm a bit out of practice, but I'd like to note that a lot of the most "extreme" early stuff actually came out of the more progressive realms, rather than just straight rock. Parts of stuff like High Tide's "Sea Shanties" from '69 is heavier, doomier and sludgier than anything Sabbath would come up with a year later, and during the early '70s hard rock/proto metal heyday, the fastest, craziest rock-based music was actually coming out of the nascent jazz-rock/fusion scene. I have some live sets from Larry Coryell's Eleventh House circa '73 that could level a city block...

Comment

• daz71
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                        A lot of people are saying Sabbath as the first Metal Band. I agree with that...but remember that Ozzy said that it was Helter Skelter that was an influence. I'm not saying the Beatles invented it..all I am saying is that they have an influence on what later became early Metal.

My point is this...a lot of people on the other forum that I am on are tired of hearing "Beatles this and that" but to deny that they haven't influenced almost every genre in music since '66 is just not really listening to music or knowing where the origins of a genre are. People are going to laugh...The Beatles were one of the first to do sampling which is what ends up the main influence in rap. That sampling though should be credit given to the studio magicians at Abbey Road. The likes of Geoff Emerick, Alan Parsons, Norman Smith, Chris Thomas and a whole bunch more. BTW the sampling I am talking about is the "seagull sounds" on 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. Tape loops of guitars that McCartney tried to put together but ended up getting help with from the Abbey Road engineers.
                        i think you are right about the engineers and george martin having a lot to do with it.if you look at their stuff before and after george martin they are just straight songs with no experimentation.it would have been interesting to see what other bands could have come up with given the money and length of time in the studio that the beatles had.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                          Made in the USA
                          • May 2, 2003

Wasn't it 'Jethro Tull'
                          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Question, is the modern sound where the singer sounds like a monster or wrestler talking and not singing considered metal or is that a different category ?

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                              Question, is the modern sound where the singer sounds like a monster or wrestler talking and not singing considered metal or is that a different category ?
                              Some of it probably falls with in some of the Death Metal sub genres. Metal has gotten pretty diverse and fractured.

I, personally, like Symphonic Metal.

Last edited by Werewolf; Feb 7, '16, 2:56 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                                Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                                • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                                Depends. http://youtu.be/8UQ9bKBnIO4

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎