Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Croatian coach Kovac had previously said (before the match), that Mexico's knees would be shaking.

Well, after Mexican midfielder Guardado, scored...he dedicated the goal to Kovac, by shaking his knees...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Uruguay eliminates Italy...1-0.

Europeans are dropping out like flies...Italy, Spain, England, and many others.

No wonder they haven't won the World Cup in the Americans...is not easy.

Little Costa Rica wins the group, unbelievable.

USA will advance, barring something spectacular...so if that happens, three CONCACAF teams would advance, USA, Mexico, and Costa Rica...pretty darn good for a conference that gets little respect at the world stage.
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I was rooting for Uruguay against Italy.

But in fairness and reputation of fair play in the game...Uruguay's Luis Suarez should be banned from this World Cup. he bit the Italian player during play, that's just dirty and nasty tactics. I don't know what goes on that head of his. He has done this before...three times in fact...has been suspended for long periods of time.

I'm all for playing tough, leave it all out there in the field. But biting an opponent is inexcusable...especially when the player has a history of biting.

That does not deter me from my original opinion of him...he's arguably the first or second best striker in the world...but something is off in that brain of his.

Now Uruguay, an overall wonderful team...is now officially the villain of the World Cup...thanks all to Suarez.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Really, Suarez?

sigpic

Comment

• Mongoose1983
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2010

The goal celebration by Mexican player Guardado is absolutely FANTASTIC!

I'm very happy to see Uruguay in the next round. The match is over, and the teams that played the ugliest soccer that can be played are now on their way home. By any standards Italy and England did not deserve to be in the worldcup!

Hopefully Suárez won't be suspended. He did a childish mischief, and you have to admit both, Suarez and Chiellini magnified.

Now to wait for the match against Germany. Hopefully Ghana and USA will win their respective games.
            www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• kerowack
              Career Member
              • Feb 27, 2008

Suarez should be banned for five games internationally. Screw him. Nasty example if they let him get off easy.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Yes I agree, there is something seriously wrong with Suarez. He's done it before, and he obviously hasn't learned his lesson. It's disgraceful. I hope he is disciplined accordingly.

By any standards Italy and England did not deserve to be in the worldcup!
                Of course they "deserved" to be there. They got the results required to qualify. It's just that they didn't play well once they were there.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Uruguay is 3-2-4 all time against Italy.

I guess they were the HUNGRIER team...thanks to Suarez.

I'll be here all week, lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Hey, kinda strange that no one is talking about possibly the hottest and most dangerous team going about their business under the radar, Colombia.

And that friggin phenom of theirs, that 22 year old, James Rodriguez, what an impressive young talent, the hell with Neymar...I dig this kid more.

Watch out for Colombia, steamrolling right now...
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mongoose1983
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2010

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      Of course they "deserved" to be there. They got the results required to qualify. It's just that they didn't play well once they were there.
                      You are right and correct, mate.

Originally posted by Hector
                      Hey, kinda strange that no one is talking about possibly the hottest and most dangerous team going about their business under the radar, Colombia.
                      Néstor Pekerman's Colombia has not been tested in the worldcup yet. Although I know it is not nice to say, Japan, Greece and Ivory Coast are no real challenge in any shape or form. Uruguay had to play Italy and England, and Chile had to play Holland and Spain. We yet have to see what Colombia has to show, but I'm afraid Uruguay will defeat them. And that with or without Suárez.

By the way, one of the teams to play semifinal will come out from the Chile-Brazil and Uruguay-Colombia. That means at least one Southamerican country will be included in the four best teams of the tournament. Argentina might be another one... let's see what Messi and the boys can do with the ball!
                      www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• LadyZod
                        Superman's Gal Pal
                        • Jan 27, 2007

My dad used to play futbol at the semi-pro level in Uruguay when he was younger. When I was little and he taught me how to play, he taught me how to slide into someone's shin, drop and cry in front of a referee and if crowded, elbow the guy behind me or bite the guy in front. It's how the game is taught to young kids. I thought it was weird cause no one played dirty in the USA, but when we visited my cousins in Uruguay, I'll be darned if those lessons didn't protect me from the neighborhood kids playing ball outside.

That being said, it's not surprising Suarez is a biter. He lived next door to my Grandmother, and I used to watch him play as a boy when I was a teen. What's surprising is he gets caught. The point is not to get caught. You're not supposed to leave marks.

And you know... it's a World Cup. Have some respect you dumb kid!
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                        Check out my art:
                        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Thanks for that background info, Lady Zod, it was a very interesting read.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mongoose1983
                            Néstor Pekerman's Colombia has not been tested in the worldcup yet. Although I know it is not nice to say, Japan, Greece and Ivory Coast are no real challenge in any shape or form. Uruguay had to play Italy and England, and Chile had to play Holland and Spain.
                            And who won the Uruguay, Italy, and England group? Costa Rica of course, lol.

Spain has never been the same since Brazil steamrolled them before the World Cup, 3-0.

England, well, it's England, they haven't been relevant in the World Cup since 1966.

Italy also was not all that.

By far the best team you mentioned, the Netherlands, they are definitely a threat to anyone.

My point, Europeans are relying too much on past glory, there's a reason why they haven't won the World Cup in the Americas, that's why despite Colombia cruising, they are a threat...especially to other non-South American teams.
                            Last edited by Hector; Jun 24, '14, 11:41 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• LadyZod
                              Superman's Gal Pal
                              • Jan 27, 2007

If you want to know why Suarez bites or why kids are taught that in Uruguay, I can give you this little gem... As told to me by my dad.

In 1972, when the plane carrying a Uruguayan team crashed in the Andes, it came to light what the survivors had to do in order to survive... It became international news. My dad was playing at the tail end of 72, start of 73 and some games were out of country.

In other nations they were taunted on the field as cannibals. In response, the biting started as if saying "you want cannibal, I'll give you cannibal." The Uruguayan players used it to psych other teams out.

The Andes crash is considered a huge national tragedy for Uruguay and during the 1980 Mundialito held between former World Cup champions, the other teams continued to taunt Uruguay as cannibals.

So the biting is a thing.

That being said Suarez deserves to be fined and banned in the same way Pepe was after the headbutt... Regardless of whatever taunt was sent his way. It's a World Cup, son. Act like it.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                              Check out my art:
                              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

My neighbor and buddy for the last eight years, is Uruguayan (he's married to a Canadian), Lady Zod...he tells me similar stories.

I know Uruguayans are the biggest beef consumers in the world per capita...followed by Argentina.

Yes, biting is in your blood, lol.

He thought me how to grill the perfect cuts of beef.

Check out the parilla he built, he's also the one who taught me how to make awesome chimichurri...

The only thing I don't like from you guys is Mate...I'm sorry...I just couldn't get into that...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎