X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Car work

My wife's 2005 Town and country has been losing liquid from the radiator. We put it in, it is all out within 2 days. Today I took the car in and was wondering, worst case, how much do you think it will cost if we need to replace the radiator? I'm very bad when it comes to cars. I'm lucky I can pump gas.
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

I'm no car guy either, but a 2005 car already needing a new radiator sounds pretty crazy. Maybe it's a defective cap, or you're not tightening it properly? Do you see radiator fluid leakage under the car when it's just sitting?

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Hey John,it could be one of the hoses got loose or damaged which would be like $15 tops,or if the radiator needs to be replaced you could be looking at like $250-$350
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

I would check the simple items before getting a new radiator.

As Spock mentioned, the cap is a good place to start.
        Can you smell rad fluid when you drive the van and the motors hot?
        If yes, check your upper rad hose connections.Are the clamps tight? The first is obviously on the radiator, the second is on the engine block. If the clamps are tight and the hose looks ok --(feel it for soft spots and swelling....yikes that sounds dirty!)--check the thermostat housing (the part on the block that the upper rad hose is connected to. It has a gasket that could be leaking. If you cant tell if its leaking, start up the motor while watching the mounting plate....if its leaking you'll see it.
        Next thing to check is the water pump....If your not a car guy this may be tricky!? Easiest way I can think of to find it is to follow your fan belt....the water pump is towards the bottom (not the pulley you see right at the bottom). without endangering yourself, just keep an eye on things while the motor is running....usually if the water pump housing is leaking, you will start to see it drip when running (in extreme cases you may also hear it whining or rattling).

If you dont smell fluid, or smell very little:
        First, check the drain plug-it's along the bottom of the radiator.If I'm not mistaken (and depending on which motor you have) the drain on yours should be in the lower left hand corner. Turn it clockwise to close it right in.
        Next, check the lower rad hose as you did with the upper. Some of the 3.8 liter v-6's used an odd shaped lower hose that hung down further than it should have, and is prone to getting hit when running over curbs, parking blocks, etc., and may well be the source of your problem?
        If your van is a 05', this should still be covered under your Chrysler warranty...depending on mileage.

Lastly, this model year should have a pink or yellow colored anti-freeze in it (check the owners manual for specs). If you have been adding the generic green anti-freeze, it will mix with the newer stuff and form a gel. This plugs up your coolant lines, which will cause undue pressure build up, and the fluid that is still fluid in nature, WILL try and find the quickest way out of your system...ie; through a gasket, rad cap, hose, etc.

Good luck!
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• megocrazy
          Museum Trouble Maker
          • Feb 18, 2007

Cost me $450.00 for the radiator in my 98 Voyager. After having it fixed we found out that the aluminum head had warped when it overheated and was leaking also. Only option was a rebuild and new head, about $1000.00 or an engine replace, I ended up trading it in for the van I have now, 2003 Caravan. They gave me full book on the trade in even though it was spilling water all over the place. Good Luck.
          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎