Help support the Mego MuseumThe Mego Museum needs your help!
Help support the Mego MuseumThe Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bull-1, Bullfighter-0...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Bull-1, Bullfighter-0...

Check out this article...I've never understood this incredibly stupid sport. Yes, it's a tradition, but a 150 lb. guy with a blanket fighting a 2,500 lb. bull is just not gonna end well.

Spain: bullfighter survives terrifying face goring - Windstream Communications
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

I hope to God McDonald's doesn't protest bullfighting...that would be the ultimate sign of hypocrisy...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I don't like bullfighting either...but I'd rather be one of those bulls (who are raised in open spaces) who have a slight chance of goring a human (and on rare instances, the bull is spared for bravery, and retired as a stud)...than as cattle raised in prison-like stalls...pooping on themselves...systematically being slaughtered by the millions.

It's a matter of perspective.
      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
        I hope to God McDonald's doesn't protest bullfighting...that would be the ultimate sign of hypocrisy...

I just hope they don't kill the bull for being a bull. If some skinny dude dressed like Liberace was chasing me around with a red blanket I'd gore him too.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

What a hypocrite I am as well...for I LOVE beef!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
            I just hope they don't kill the bull for being a bull. If some skinny dude dressed like Liberace was chasing me around with a red blanket I'd gore him too.
            Well...one of the reasons I don't like bullfighting...is because the bull has almost zero chance...the picadores are the ones who really weaken the bull...not the matador...

The picador has three main functions:

1. To pierce the muscle on the back of the bull’s neck in order to straighten the bull's charge.

2. To fatigue the bull’s neck muscles and general stamina as it tries to lift the horse with its head.

3. To lower the bull’s head in preparation for the next stage.

The loss of blood and exertion weakens the bull further and makes him ready for the matador/sword/kill moment.

By the time the matador takes out his sword for the kill...the bull is exhausted...and can hardly lift its head...let alone charge...

...but in rare instances...the bull still has something left...and that's when matadors get hurt...or even killed.

I'd be more impressed if the matador had no help...and did everything by himself...

Last edited by Hector; Oct 8, '11, 9:34 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I'd be more impressed if the matador had no help...and did everything by himself...

I imagine those would be very short bullfights...

Very interesting though about how they wear the bull out first.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I forgot the banderilleros...matadors' assistants...they also keep weakening the bull throughout the ritual...

The matador has a lot of help.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  I imagine those would be very short bullfights...
                  Indeed...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

By the time you see this moment...the bull can hardly move...

The following picture links are very graphic...so be warned before clicking on it.

It shows how extensive the wounds are on the bull...way before the matador even remotely attempts his kill...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/...26db4f714f.jpg

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-07...8_24250921.jpg

Last edited by Hector; Oct 8, '11, 9:48 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• mikeoz
                      Mego Maker
                      • Mar 9, 2007

I don't like bullfighting either...but I'd rather be one of those bulls (who are raised in open spaces) who have a slight chance of goring a human (and on rare instances, the bull is spared for bravery, and retired as a stud)...than as cattle raised in prison-like stalls...pooping on themselves...systematically being slaughtered by the millions.

It's a matter of perspective.
                      My dad came to this country from Spain as a sheepherder and then got into cattle ranching also. At least in the Intermountain West (Nevada, Idaho, Utah,etc),which is huge ranching country, almost all cows and sheep are raised on the open range for the majority of their lives. It'd be unprofitable to have to pay for the feed to give to a cow in a pen when the rangeland is almost free. Plus, being ruminants, they have to spend their time walking around grazing and eating slowly. It's the last bit of their lives in feedlots that's not so nice. Once range cattle are sold, they spend a few months being "fattened" with corn before being slaughtered. If you see "grass fed" beef in a store or a restaurant, it means that the cows were probably not taken to a feedlot.
                      Last edited by mikeoz; Oct 8, '11, 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot a word
                      Looking for:
                      Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• TEXASFETT
                        #1 Bounty Hunter
                        • Aug 29, 2008

Thats crazy but the dude is pretty good but this happens damn that hurts!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎