X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeoz
    Mego Maker
    • Mar 9, 2007

Paypal dispute question

I've had pretty good luck when it comes to online purchases in the past. Just recently, however, I ordered an item from an online store and paid using Paypal. I'm not sure why, but the Paypal used an echeck to pay for the purchase instead of my credit card. The item arrived but didn't work. I tried to contact the store, but didn't receive any response. I then filed a dispute with Paypal. A coworker now tells me that Paypal seldom reviews disputes and claims for purchases outside of ebay. He told me that I'm out the money since I used and echeck to pay for the purchase. Anyone ever gone through a situation requesting a Paypal refund from a non-ebay purchase?
    Looking for:
    Lincoln Phantom of the Opera
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Good question. I still think you might have some coverage available to you. You might want to check out the Paypal website to find out.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Not true. I had to file a dispute for a purchase outside of Ebay and Paypal's response was immediate and my refund was given. What you have to remember though is that you must file the dispute within 45 days of the purchase. As long as you do that, your money is protected.

Comment

• mikeoz
        Mego Maker
        • Mar 9, 2007

Thanks! It's good to hear that I'm covered. The online store wouldn't respond to my emails, but has just now miraculously responded to the Paypal dispute I filed. The company said that it was not its responsibility, but rather the manufacturer of the the product to offer to fix or replace it. I'm hoping Paypal rules in my favor since it was a good amount of money.
        Looking for:
        Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• MicromanZone
          Banned
          • Apr 26, 2011

Ditto what others have said. The eBay factor is a non-factor. Someone takes the money and the item is defective you can get your money back. And there is no real difference between e-Check or any other payment method is a refund request issue like this. Complain and wait and see. Either you get the payment back and keep the non-working item or the store can request it back and you get payment back. But you are not on the hook.

Comment

• Brad
            Batman Fanatic
            • Aug 20, 2010

Originally posted by mikeoz
            Thanks! It's good to hear that I'm covered. The online store wouldn't respond to my emails, but has just now miraculously responded to the Paypal dispute I filed. The company said that it was not its responsibility, but rather the manufacturer of the the product to offer to fix or replace it. I'm hoping Paypal rules in my favor since it was a good amount of money.
            Gee, talk about pass the buck! So they expect you to deal with the manufacturer? Hello, that's the job of the retailer not the customer. Some companies just amaze me.
            "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• steelcouch
              Career Member
              • Feb 11, 2006

I have had this happen to me and most likely will rule in your favor. They did however charge me a paypal dispute fee which is like $30 if I remember correctly.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I was not charged anything. I got my refund returned in full. Mikeoz I think you'll be pleased with the results. Paypal is very reputable.

Comment

• Adam West
                  Museum CPA
                  • Apr 14, 2003

Responding in that manner definitely looks like it will rule in your favor. Might be worth calling a rep at paypal and talk to them directly. As much as everyone complains about paypal and ebay; I have usually found that you will receive some empathy when talking to a live person. I'm sure they have heard just about everything.
                  "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                  ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎