X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Being Out of Work

Man Ive only been unemloyed for Technically 7 days cause I was under-employed to begin with.Im getting really frustrated that I have no job how are members that are in the same position handeling it Im about to start screaming!
  • wolfie
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 31, 2007

I have been out of work for 9 months now and am enjoying every minute of it.

I get to spend my days doing exactly whatever i like, get up when i feel like it, go to bed in the middle of the night.

I guess how much you enjoy it depends on your own personal situation.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by wolfie
      I have been out of work for 9 months now and am enjoying every minute of it.

I get to spend my days doing exactly whatever i like, get up when i feel like it, go to bed in the middle of the night.

I guess how much you enjoy it depends on your own personal situation.
      sounds nice
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

What I did during the time when I was in between jobs was actually how I got this gig... I really honed in on sharpening my skills and brainstorming new ideas. That effort actually led to the station I'm at creating a position for me. Now I realize that may not apply to your particular line of work right now BUT that focused energy doing something you've always wanted to do could lead you in a new career direction. For example I was very "equipment poor" to do what I do but that didn't stop me from making a lot of notes, reading a handful of books and really flushing out concepts on paper.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to NOT GET STAGNANT! When you don't really have a reason to wake up in the mornings or anywhere in particular to go, you can get really lazy really quick. I say that because it happened to me. Plus keeping some form of "normal" routine will make it so much easier to get back in the groove when a new opportunity arises.

Again this is just my opinion and advice from personal experience. Keep your head up!

Comment

• kennermike
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by jimsmegos
          What I did during the time when I was in between jobs was actually how I got this gig... I really honed in on sharpening my skills and brainstorming new ideas. That effort actually led to the station I'm at creating a position for me. Now I realize that may not apply to your particular line of work right now BUT that focused energy doing something you've always wanted to do could lead you in a new career direction. For example I was very "equipment poor" to do what I do but that didn't stop me from making a lot of notes, reading a handful of books and really flushing out concepts on paper.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to NOT GET STAGNANT! When you don't really have a reason to wake up in the mornings or anywhere in particular to go, you can get really lazy really quick. I say that because it happened to me. Plus keeping some form of "normal" routine will make it so much easier to get back in the groove when a new opportunity arises.

Again this is just my opinion and advice from personal experience. Keep your head up!
          Thank you Jim wonderfull advice some of the things like doing my normal routine I have been doing
          Last edited by kennermike; Aug 12, '11, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• jimsmegos
            Mego Dork
            • Nov 9, 2008

^It really does help. I know after a while it can get to be a real "B" to convince yourself to shave if your not careful. And that really does lead to a sad and unfortunate rut that is an even bigger "B" to climb out of.

Comment

• Bones
              Museum Patron
              • Oct 4, 2009

Been out of work about 5 1/2 weeks. In that time I have mowed an enormous amount of lawn. Got a ceiling painted that I'd been putting off for about a year. I also write fiction, and have been able to give a couple of stories some long-overdue attention.

Been selling off a few old collectibles that haven't seen the light of day in several years. Feels good to get rid of that stuff. Got to use some of the proceeds to fund my Mego habit.

I get up at 5 a.m. Mon.-Fri. with my wife and kid, and help them get off to work and school, respectively. Getting up so early adds a few hours in my day to be productive... though I'm usually beat by 9 p.m., of course.

Best of luck!

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

About 6 years ago when I was laid off from the company I worked for, I spent at least 2 hours of my day calling all contacts, recruiters, scanning job sites, everything. The company paid for a workshop to help all of us that were laid off, write resumes, work on interviewing techniques, etc. To my surprise, most people had done nothing. It was though they were all shell shocked. Knowing that it takes weeks to receive an offer even under the best of circumstances; I didn't wait for anything. I tried my best not to stress over things and while I spent everyday looking; I also tried to enjoy some down time. Good luck. My best advice is reach out to every contact that you know and leave no stone unturned.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

I didn't have a Job for a year and a half ..., about a year and a half ago... weird. ... Honestly ..., I spent the 1st 6 months doing all this stuff with my son and his school during the day ..., then boozed at night ... played with lots of Dollies too. I made enough on unemployment to pay the bills ..., and feed the fam.

Then I sorta kicked it in ...., probably put in like 70 aps, before I was choosen for my Union Halls Apprenticeship program. I took a pay cut, but it got me back out there.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎