• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

More Starsky & Hutch talk

Hi Guys,

If you guys will remember about a year ago I mentioned I started watching S&H for the first time ever and have been enjoying the show a lot (I never seen it back in the day)

Well, a buddy just loaned me a few discs from season-4 the other day.

Man, they are BAD

Anybody else agree that season-4 is pretty lousy ?
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Last edited by Hector; Aug 9, '11, 7:43 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

You are watching the wrong season of Starsky & Hutch...watch the first two seasons..it's a very gritty cop drama.

Seasons three and four were water-downed, the violent action decreased...and it became a silly buddy-buddy show.

Paul Michael Glaser himself played a major part in the eventual fall of the show.
      Last edited by Hector; Aug 9, '11, 7:46 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
        Hi Guys,

If you guys will remember about a year ago I mentioned I started watching S&H for the first time ever and have been enjoying the show a lot (I never seen it back in the day)

Well, a buddy just loaned me a few discs from season-4 the other day.

Man, they are BAD

Anybody else agree that season-4 is pretty lousy ?
        Oh...OK...I got it now...

Yes...the last season was indeed terrible...lol.
        sigpic

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

I'm a big fan and yes I agree. I own all four seasons and Season four was pretty lame. You can kind of tell the show was heading down the **** pipes during season four.

I was a big fan of this show and I when I got older I snagged Seasons One and Two at Walmart and had to hunt down three and four on eBay. I am pretty sure there was a good reason why Walmart didn't have three and four in stock.
          Nothing is quite as classic as the one where those hoods shoot up Hutch with the heroin and dump him on the streets after tying him up for a week and shooting him up and getting him addicted. Then Starsky finds him all strung out and in an alley. Those were the classics. LOL

Last edited by Cosmicman; Aug 9, '11, 11:15 PM.
          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, I have some fave eps, (not sure what season they were though). The one Cat mentioned, yeah, and the devil cult one, the one w/ Kristy McNicol, the one where John Saxon was a vampire wannabe, Starsky's Lady, and the one where the retarded girl gets raped.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• starsky
              veteran member
              • Aug 26, 2007

the first two seasons are the best- lots of action. after that too much talking!!!

Comment

• bobws
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 13, 2008

it was all across tv , to many complaining about the violence, S.W.A.T. was cancelled and others got watered down. and across the pond Mary (pain in the @#$) Whitehouse was complaining about violence on Doctor Who.
                "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I'm a HUGE Starsky and Hutch fan and watch the series on a pretty regular basis. I think what you saw in the fourth season were the early episodes, which had a tendency to embrace too much of the cultural rave at that moment - disco. I've lost count of how many stories had them in a disco tech for one reason or another. There was even one episode where you had a psychotic "Tony Menaro" type villain. THAT was sad. But the season does regain it's footing and actually finish out with some of the best stories ever written for the show. You had the three part "Targets without a badge" storyline, "Starsky vs Hutch", and the series finale "Sweet Revenge" where Starsky almost dies. Originally they were going to kill Starsky off, then they thought better of it. I'm glad they changed their minds! The series remained a ratings hit until the very end. It only ended because Glaser and Soul wanted to move on to other projects.

Some may not realize this, but Paul Michael Glaser was the director for the Schwarzenegger hit " The Running Man". Yep that was Starsky's baby. And, of course, most know David Soul went on to star in the classic hit "Salem's Lot". Glaser continued on as a successful producer and director, while Soul essentially fell off the map. After being something of a 70's icon, Soul decided to move to England, which had become pretty much a second home for him during that decade. Sadly he made it a permanent home and only came back to the states occasionally to visit his kids (who were grown by that point). He continued his acting career through local theater and received much acclaim for his performances. Fans of the show will be sad to know that Glaser and Soul had drafted a reunion movie to explore what had happen to these characters since the show's close back in '78. They were ready to sign a deal when, at the last minute, another studio jumped in and suggested a comedy with Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller. Sadly, we all know the rest of that story...

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Of the couple of season 4 discs i've seen the worst episode has to be where they are undercover as hairdressers.

Reading the episode guide it looks like it should be a fun episode, but it turned out to be boring, annoying, stupid and hard to follow.

For me, that episode was their lowest point --- so far

Comment

• david_b
                      Never had enough toys..
                      • May 9, 2008

The only DVD set I watched in Kuwait last year was the Second year.. By far my favorite..!!

My favorite episode was the longer Vegas one.., especially Huggy's fashion buddy, dressing the guys for their Vegas trip. Priceless..!!

In some ways, I felt the shark jumped with that one. Lynda Carter was stunning as well.

Or the one where Starsky's injected with a lethal drug one night, Hutch takes him to the hospital, then forgets to bring his pants.. ?!? Great scenes, before they played up the gooey buddy-buddy stuff too much.

And lest we forget the terrible 'David Soul Mustache'..

The 2nd Year music was the best as well, along with 1st Season's theme.
                      Last edited by david_b; Aug 10, '11, 9:57 AM.
                      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Cosmicman
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 12, 2005

I know that David Soul does have a lot of fans on the Internet and for some reason he has chosen Myspace as his home base to communicate with him. You'd think he'd be twittering or jumping on the Facebook communication band wagon. Nope.
                        This address is what he tells people to find him. Odd.

David Soul on Myspace
                        More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

My mom and dad used to watch it. I can't ever remember seeing the show. I must have but there wasn't anything (cough--apes--cough) to catch my attention back then.
                          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
                            I know that David Soul does have a lot of fans on the Internet and for some reason he has chosen Myspace as his home base to communicate with him. You'd think he'd be twittering or jumping on the Facebook communication band wagon. Nope.
                            This address is what he tells people to find him. Odd.

David Soul on Myspace
                            Very cool! Thanks! I think I'll join so I can talk to him.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                              Very cool! Thanks! I think I'll join so I can talk to him.
                              I'm already on MySpace, maybe I'll talk to him.
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎