Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

Quiznos is pretty good for subs. I really like The Traditional. Like Dark Shadow said, Jersey Mike's is good--love it, in fact--but the closest one is and hour and a half away from here.
    Last edited by torgospizza; Aug 5, '11, 8:03 PM.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I can help you make simple Mexican food, Mike.

Get some low carb corn tortillas (not regular or flour tortillas)...chicken breast without the skin...and get a salsa with low sodium...and presto...instant delicious authentic Mexican tacos.

Very simple...and cheap.

Boil, grill, or bake the chicken (don't fry).

Add half and onion, garlic, and any herbs you like...paprika, black pepper, cumin, rosemary, etc...use that salt substitue...but if you must add something savory...just a little pinch of sea salt.

I like to make my own salsa...very simple...just chop tomato, onion, cilantro, a low heat fresh Jalapeño (or even a green pepper if you don't like heat)...add black pepper, a pinch of dry oregano...and squeeze some fresh lime, a sprinkle of orange juice...and just a drop of olive oil...mix everything together...and there you go...and simple yet delicious homemade salsa.

If you don't have the inclination or time to make your own salsa...buy an already made one at your local market...but check on the sodium content...some are loaded with too much salt.

Heat the tortillas in either a microwave...or if you have a gas stove...place the tortilla right on top of the flame...flip them a couple of times on both sides...they come out awesome. If you have an electric stove...you can heat the tortillas on a pan.

Once the chicken breast is done...cut the them into little pieces...place on top of tortilla...and add the salsa on top...presto...you'll have a delicious meal.

Like I said...simple, inexpensive...and yummy....and best of all...healthy.

P.S. If you desire the crunchy experience...shred some lettuce or fresh cabbage on top of your taco...and if you desire more goodies on your taco...you can also add non-fat sour cream as well. Avocado is high in calories, but it has that healthy fat...that's another option.
      sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

OK...forget Arby's, I'm going to Hector's for dinner.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Mike...there's also no reason why you can't have a good burger once in a while.

But make it homemade.

Use the leanest kind of ground beef possible...something like 92/8 is best...avoid the traditional 80/20.

Grilling is best...but if you must cook indoors...

...pan cook the patty over a tad of olive oil...start weening off all other oils...I know olive oil is a lot more expensive...but it's so much better for you...and it tastes great...oh...for cooking...don't get extra virgin olive oil...those were meant for salads/soups/etc,...extra virgin olive oil burns too easily over high heat...just get regular olive oil for cooking.

Try to use wheat hamburger buns instead.

No cheese...or at least some low fat skim-milk type of cheese.

Just use mustard and ketchup...but if you must use mayo...get a light mayo...there are already light mayo's with olive oil being sold now...I always buy that one...it has great flavor.

And bombard your burger with lots of tomatoes, onions, lettuce...or anything like that....

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Olive oil is good for you...but use in moderation...

Olive oil: What are the health benefits? - MayoClinic.com

sigpic

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 10, 2006

Arby's is on the list of places my DR told me to avoid after i had my heart attack
                Go to subway and if your lucky they may still have the Green Lantern cups

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
                  Web Wobbler
                  • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                  Arby's is my favorite in-between sandwich fast food place. When I'm craving a sandwich and I'm not in the mood for a burger or cold-cuts...Arby's sits perfectly in the middle.
                  You hit the nail right on the head, sir. Love the curly fries and just a plain 'ole roast beef sandwich.
                  Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
                  Good Trader List

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
                    Web Wobbler
                    • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
                    I can help you make simple Mexican food, Mike.

Get some low carb corn tortillas (not regular or flour tortillas)...chicken breast without the skin...and get a salsa with low sodium...and presto...instant delicious authentic Mexican tacos.

Very simple...and cheap.

Boil, grill, or bake the chicken (don't fry).

Add half and onion, garlic, and any herbs you like...paprika, black pepper, cumin, rosemary, etc...use that salt substitue...but if you must add something savory...just a little pinch of sea salt.

I like to make my own salsa...very simple...just chop tomato, onion, cilantro, a low heat fresh Jalapeño (or even a green pepper if you don't like heat)...add black pepper, a pinch of dry oregano...and squeeze some fresh lime, a sprinkle of orange juice...and just a drop of olive oil...mix everything together...and there you go...and simple yet delicious homemade salsa.

If you don't have the inclination or time to make your own salsa...buy an already made one at your local market...but check on the sodium content...some are loaded with too much salt.

Heat the tortillas in either a microwave...or if you have a gas stove...place the tortilla right on top of the flame...flip them a couple of times on both sides...they come out awesome. If you have an electric stove...you can heat the tortillas on a pan.

Once the chicken breast is done...cut the them into little pieces...place on top of tortilla...and add the salsa on top...presto...you'll have a delicious meal.

Like I said...simple, inexpensive...and yummy....and best of all...healthy.

P.S. If you desire the crunchy experience...shred some lettuce or fresh cabbage on top of your taco...and if you desire more goodies on your taco...you can also add non-fat sour cream as well. Avocado is high in calories, but it has that healthy fat...that's another option.
                    That sounds wonderful. How about starting a recipe thread...lol...
                    Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
                    Good Trader List

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

I like Arby's just fine, but it's always too expensive to sample sandwiches beyond the plain roast beef. We eat there every once in a while, but the bill comes out to $30 for a family of 4. I get better deals, more portions for less, at a lot of other places.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

Yes, I like Arbys Beef N' Chedders but I'd rather have the potatoe cakes and mozz sticks.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Feels like an Arby's nite..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGolEBBM2ug

Comment

• bobbait
                            What, me worry?
                            • Jun 9, 2005

i better like it, I'm a district manager for them.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxQqdFOeoM

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 20, 2011

After reading Hector's posts I feel like:

A.] Going out to my local and very, VERY authentic Mexican eatery and;

B.] I've been watching a new show on The Food Network called "Hector's Healthy Snacking."

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎