X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

I wish I could kill nostalgia

....I've felt that way for a while, 'cos I think it keeps people stuck in the past instead of working towards the future. But I had a thought yesterday that added a sense of urgency to the problem. At some time in my life I WILL hear the following sentence:

"Man; tv SUCKS now! Back in MY day we had GOOD shows.... like "Jersy Shore," and "Big Brother," and "18 and Pregnant." That stuff they show today is just CRAP!"

....and then the clown next to him will mindlessly agree....

Don C.
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Haha - you're probably right! I've already heard some insanely terrible things being lamented in that way.

One real problem with nostalgia is that people will only think that the things from THEIR nostalgia has real quality. Everyone I know loves something that's pure cultural fodder just because they encountered it when they were young enough.

About looking forward - I agree with you, but I also think it goes both ways - I also can't stand when people think things that are new are automatically better. I think that's a problem in entertainment/art too - I think the best artists take the time to look back and appreciate where their influences came from and where the techniques they use were developed.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I think nostalgia is like anything. It can be utilized as a healthy tool or abused like a bad habit. Moderation is the key. Now... where did I put my Atari game system?

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

For lousy TV, I remember back in the 70's when some people complained about all the new smutty sitcoms ...... All In the Family, Sanford and Son etc.

Today, we'd call those shows "classics"

Every generation has their own take

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I have yet to find a show on today that I would go out of my way to watch. There were lots of tv shows in the 80's I loved. So I guess I say tv sucks compared to when I was a kid. Being nostalgic is a big part of why I'm on this website.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

I love nostalgia! (why else would I be here?) I not only like my nostalgia, but some elements from my mom's, like radio shows. She got me into those. I know a lot of folks think I'm just outta touch b/c I mostly like stuff from my past, but as long as I'm not hurting anyone and I'm happy, what's the harm?
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo

One real problem with nostalgia is that people will only think that the things from THEIR nostalgia has real quality. Everyone I know loves something that's pure cultural fodder just because they encountered it when they were young enough.
              Yeah, I've heard a lifetime of people extolling the 1960s and then crapping over the 1970s. I think there is a stark contrast to the decade you were a kid in and the one you popped pimples in. I'm not fond of the 80s but I'm aware of the why.

Nostalgia is similiar to CGI, a wonderful useful thihng if done in moderation, if overused it's limiting and dreadful.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Hating nostalgia on a nostalgia site. The dark humor of that is not lost on me.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• pmwasson
                  Maker
                  • Sep 12, 2007

One of my favorite bits on the Daily Show was when they were trying to figure out when the "Good Old Days" were:
                  Even Better Than the Real Thing - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 01/05/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Hope this isn't too political for the boards.
                  sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Tyme2tyme
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 3, 2008

Hating nostalgia on a nostalgia site. The dark humor of that is not lost on me.
                    I wasn't sure if this was a serious thread. Nostalgia is what we ARE!
                    I thing looking back at the past can teach us lessons that can (but only occasionally does) lead us to do better in the present. I personally enjoy the best of the past AND the present. JOHN
                    Livin' the American Dream!

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

They way I see it, there's always going to be people that try to portray themeselves as better than everyone else. Both the crotchety everthing in my day was better "Grumpy old man" people and the condescending everything is better now "You're too old" people.

Some things are timeless. New Coke wasn't an improvement. Red and Blue electric Superman wasn't an improvement.

Somethings are better now. I sure as heck don't want to go back to dial up.

Not everything that came before was better and not everything new is improved. That's my thoughts, anyways.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

These kids today with their nostalgia and their crazy moon music... Get off my lawn!

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

So...the Museum should be shut down? Mego is nothing if it is not nostalgia.

The desire to kill what one cannot control or understand...well that speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Comment

• torgospizza
                            Theocrat of Pan Tang
                            • Aug 19, 2010

I think quality will never go out of style, even if people are nostalgic about whatever it is. A couple weeks ago, I was at my brother's and my soon-to-be-14 niece wanted to watch some Twilight Zone on Netflix because they'd watched the The Eye of the Beholder episode in English class and she loved it. So we watched Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? I think she's a fan now.

Comment

• Adam West
                              Museum CPA
                              • Apr 14, 2003

As adults, we look at the present and presume that the crap we see will be nostalgia.

Some items I can already tell will be nostalgia years from now....Nintendo handheld games, iPods, Pokemon, Spongebob Square Pants. Anyone have nostalgia over a pet rock? If so, I have one to sell you. Anyone dying to watch "That's Incredible"? I have watched old episodes of it and quite frankly don't see anything incredible compared to what some people do today sans the show.
                              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎