Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raiders of The Lost Ark with Tom Selleck and Sean Young?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Raiders of The Lost Ark with Tom Selleck and Sean Young?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyHS...layer_embedded

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Selleck would be ok but I think Sean Young would be very annoying

It would have been weird if they went with Tim Matheson and Karen Allen (Animal House reunion)

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I don't think the movie would have worked as well with Selleck. I like him as an actor but he does not do the tough guy very well. I mean look at his movie career....what movie career. he is great as the nice guy

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Selleck did star in an Indy movie...it's called High Road to China...

sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Sellect can do tough guy just fine. His cowboy stuff and his Jesse Stone stuff don't have him being nice. Plus Indy's not that tough.

However, who knows if it would have worked or not. Maybe it would have worked even better? It's impossible to say.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Here's my view ........

Back in the early 80's Harrison Ford brought in all the Star Wars fans

There's NO Star Wars fans that don't love Blade Runner and Indie

Comment

• Marvelmania
              A Ray of Sunshine
              • Jun 17, 2001

Who knows how it might have turned out with Selleck but no way with Sean Young!

Comment

• Cmonster
                Banned
                • Feb 6, 2010

Flat out; That movie would have been a disaster if ANYONE but Harrison Ford played Indy... He was born to play that role and OWNS it.

SC

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

I like Tom Selleck, but not as Indy....no one would have been as good as Ford.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I can picture one other actor as a good Indie

Norm McDonald as Burt Reynolds

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

I don't know if it's toughness that's the key - I think Ford brought a bit of a caustic attitude to the character (in the first one mostly). He's not really playing him to be likable to the audience in a conventional way.

Like that scene where he grabs poor lovable Sallah by the collar and barks "What truck?!" He's almost physically threatening one of his best friends in his fervor to get the ark.

(Side note - to me Indy IS one of the "Raiders" - which is why I hate the new title so much I could't even buy the new version - but that's another topic.)

I think Selleck might have been okay - but I think if he played a scene with that anger it would have been more smarmy with him. Like, he would have got the cocky part right, but not the egotistical jerk part. Just a tad more smirk in his smile and Indy's a lot less interesting to me - and as is he's one of my favorite film characters.
                      Last edited by Brazoo; Jun 10, '11, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Cool... I remember knowing almost from day one that Selleck was originally in the running to be Indy. It was all over the magazines and stuff back in the day. Spielberg and Lucas seemingly never made a secret of that.

Anyhow, that's one casting decision I'm glad never worked out. I can't imagine anyone other than Ford in the role.

And yeah... to me the movie will always be just Raiders of the Lost Ark.
                        They can change the title on the packaging and stuff, just as long as they never change it in the movie itself!
                        Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jun 10, '11, 7:41 AM.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

I think Selleck would have been fantastic as Indy. We've just become so accustomed to the Ford interpretation, that's all.
                          If you don't mind me saying, I feel that Ford has become a boring old fart really fast (it started in Jedi with him sleepwalking through the part), and he hasn't made a noteworthy film in the last 20 years.
                          I wish that Selleck would have had the same career opportunities. He certainly had (and has) the smarts, the looks, the sense of humor and the acting skills.

I wouldn't have picked Sean Young as Marion, because everyone who has ever worked with her says she's totally crazy, and not in a fun way. More like in a Fatal Attraction bunny boiler way...
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• megoapesnut
                            The name says it all!
                            • Dec 3, 2007

Selleck was signed for Magnum and couldn't do Indy as a result. They did a Magnum episode in one of the later seasons that was a mini Indy movie.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                              Selleck was signed for Magnum and couldn't do Indy as a result. They did a Magnum episode in one of the later seasons that was a mini Indy movie.
                              Magnum kind of made and broke his career in one go.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎